Strega cuts pylon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strega cuts pylon

I guess that would have to be decided by the experts. If the majority of the cuts are by a wing or so, then maybe any part of the airplane would qualify?

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
      I'm curious why they don't have some kind of high visibility flashing light on top of each pylon. Imagine 450-500mph, 100 feet off the ground, tiny canopy which distorts a clear view, glare from the sun, 45 degree bank, hot, noisey etc etc.

Wonder what the pilot would tell you why he missed the turning point?
      When you listen to the pilot radio frequencies they make note as to if the beacons are on. Heard pace plane mention it and point it out on at least 2 unlimited races. Outer 3 has a huge 4 light array by it, and from 3 it appears four does also.

The pilot probably wouldn't tell you why he cut the pylon, but the pylon judge who called him (and was walking around enjoying the event early this morning....) said he mistook the guide pylon for #4 and turned there instead.....opps!

Comment

In Tiger's interview before the Silver race he said he got busy in the cockpit and missed pylon 4 on Thursday. As for letting them get away with 1 cut, would it be fair to Curt Brown to let Tiger have the cut?

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
          I guess that would have to be decided by the experts. If the majority of the cuts are by a wing or so, then maybe any part of the airplane would qualify?
          I was standing at Pylon 4 when the cut happened...it wasn't remotely close. He banked up after passing pylon 3 and headed for 5. He was a good 100 meters inside pylon 4 when he passed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
            I was standing at Pylon 4 when the cut happened...it wasn't remotely close. He banked up after passing pylon 3 and headed for 5. He was a good 100 meters inside pylon 4 when he passed it.
            oh, like you have any experience judging distances to fast moving aircraft randy.....
            bob burns
            ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
            "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
              Well there's your answer. Thanks Hacker.

Keep in mind, this course is very different than the cousre he flew in '08. The outer sticks have been moved ALOT.
              "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Working...
              X