X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pole position

Pole Position

Let's consider a few things...

Last year, what might have been the outcome, had Strega sat on the pole come Sunday...or even sat in the #2 spot? Maybe we're all 50/50 on the outcome of that... But I for one, after being out on pylon 4 for the Gold, would say that it sure looked like starting position made the big difference.

Now.. bear with me.
    The common line of thinking is.. The guys that aren't so fast.. should just qualify at a reasonable speed, ensure a slot, and save there engines for Sunday.

Isn't this reverse logic?

Why not put a little extra poop on the line for qualifying...start #2 or #3, and let-er-buck.

If #38 and crew post a moderate 460+ speed for Q's, and start 5th, for example, in their first Heat... How MUCH HARDER will he have to work through the pack, to get any kind of position at all for Sunday?

Same go's for #86.

Or #77.

Why not fight for that top spot early in the week. (Qualifying), and then maintain, as best as possible. With the FAA regulations, the smaller course, and possible less heats anyway... doesn't this all make sense?

I'm sure there are 4 aircraft in the field that could post a lap over 500. And another two that could give us 480+. Now that's 5 aircraft that could have AT LEAST started #2 last year.

Just $.02
    - Joseph

Re: The pole position

Gotta save it for Sunday.
    In order to win the GOLD .... you must finish the GOLD.

If the engine is pushed a bit hard to get a good spot for the Sunday GOLD and it is damaged (even slightly), it may not last the entire GOLD race on Sunday.

Comment

I would be surprised if #77 qualifies or finishes ahead of either #86 or #38

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
        Czech mate is NOT that fast compared to a healthy bear... PM can take the bear is PM is as healthy as we all thing but not 86
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
          Your angst is showing.

Comment

Based on my 25+ years of watching this game I believe the following:

If Voodoo, Strega and Bear are (still) running at full potential on Saturday then we are going to see a serious race. Pole position is huge these days.

A full potential Bear can run down a 1st place super stang on the course during regular laps.

A 2nd place super stang needs to pass a full potential 1st place super stang on the first or second lap.

A full potential Bear on the pole is going to run away with it on sunday.

Though I have to admit, it is possible that the superstangs of this era have a little bit more in them that we have not seen before as they have not had to show it.

Im excited.

Comment

No Angst
              Just statement of my opinion based upon observation and having my ear to the ground.

Comment

Voodoo will be on pole at over 500.
                The Bear will be in the high 490s.
                232 also in the 490s
                Strega will save it for Saturday.
                #38 will have it's fastest speed in the high 470s
                #86 also in the 470s.

~Benjamin

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin_ofIdaho View Post
                  Voodoo will be on pole at over 500.
                  The Bear will be in the high 490s.
                  232 also in the 490s
                  Strega will save it for Saturday.
                  #38 will have it's fastest speed in the high 470s
                  #86 also in the 470s.

~Benjamin
                  Yes and PM will hit 490s on Sunday.
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I'll bet we will only have Gold races on Saturday and Sunday like last year. That would make position a priority. I predict max effort from all the contenders in Qualifying. Less laps to pass, but less laps to break as well.
                    "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                      Yes and PM will hit 490s on Sunday.
                      I'm with you on that.
                      Last year we saw #86 get by the Bear, this year we will see PM get by a healthy Bear.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin_ofIdaho View Post
                        I'm with you on that.
                        Last year we saw #86 get by the Bear, this year we will see PM get by a healthy Bear.
                        232 will be holding off PM if she manages to get by the Bear. Voodoo, Strega, and 232 are all going to qualify over 490 is my guess, without sandbagging that's the most reasonable assumption. Tiger isn't gonna beat around the bush after last year he saw first hand that any mistakes can and will hurt the chances of the gold win. No bad feelings towards MJ of course, but not being able to qualify KILLED Strega's chance of winning. She could've passed Voodoo and Matt has plenty of experience going around that course. Without sandbagging the qualification speeds will be unheard of this year.
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Last years race was over at the start! I remember seeing Voodoo go by and wondering where Strega was, 14 seconds later that's where. No way you can make up that much time AND pass a top running plane. Even if Strega had started 2nd, I don't think they could have got around Voodoo.

I also think its optimistic to think that all of the top dogs will be there on Sunday ready to fight. History tells us that several won't make it to Sunday.

Voodoo will be top qualifier this year and the one to beat on Sunday and here is why. Crew chief, while there are a lot of great wrenches in the sport, nobody is better than Kerch. Deeeeeep tool box. Ferry motor, Qualifying motor, and Race motor.

Strega is an unkown, but last year when they had money they were still short on money (per Matt Jackson on here that they needed new rockers but didn't have the $$) This year the $$ is unknown, but they were way short on time. Who's name is on the plane as the engine builder, as the previous one said he was done?

The Bear, every year has been "the year" only to hear " we are looking for some lost power" or we can't keep it cool. I really hope they have it all figured out and can really compete for the whole week at full race power, I just won't hold my breath.

Comment

Working...
                          X