An early 'Throwback Thursday' video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An early 'Throwback Thursday' video

Here’s my first ‘Throwback Thursday’ video, this one features the 1980 Reno Air Races, the footage was shot by the ‘Ridge Runner III’ Unlimited Air Racing team. It is a long video but it’s nice to see a lot of the old planes that are no longer racing, plus the many pilots and friends that are no longer with us.
    A big thank you goes to Neal Nurmi for the cover thumbnail pictures.

Jason
    Jason Schillereff

Re: An early 'Throwback Thursday' video

Awesome early air race video footage. I especially liked the shots from up by pylon 6. Thanks for posting it Jason.

Comment

Nice job with this, Jason! I'm assuming this was all shot on film? Super 8? How did you do the video conversion?

McClain did quite the excursion during the Heat Race (about 41:40 minutes), and was streaming something. Would that have been wake turbulence?

Neal

Comment

Thanks guys!!
        Hey Neal, I got the footage from Chris Luvara and it was already on disk which made it much easier to edit. I noticed the high g turn Mac did as well, from the location of the streaming fluid it looks to be coming from the fuel vent or fuel cap area, if you look at photos Miss A on the course, she would always be venting some fluids from the same area.
        Jason
        Jason Schillereff

Comment

Really nice Jason, thank you...

Comment

The first home video equipment wasn't really around until 1982-a Sony Betamax portable recorder and camera I believe. So what kind of equipment was used to make the original recording? Professional video equipment? Not super 8 with sound or it would be grainy as super 8 tends to be.

Comment

Wow Jason! Thanks!
              Jim Orton really knew how to throw the B-17 around. He's also the pilot that brought it up in front of the crowd, increased power and took a bow!
              A lot of great, long lost airframes and friends in there. A lot of good and bad memories of that year for me.
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                ...McClain did quite the excursion during the Heat Race (about 41:40 minutes), and was streaming something. Would that have been wake turbulence?

Neal
                I saw that, too, and watched it a few times. I was struck by the tragic prescience of that airframe being rocked by wake and G's at that "corner."

Comment

Working...
                X