After Scolari's - what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Scolari's - what to do

It is my understanding that Scolari's has closed down at Lemmon Valley turnoff after many years of supporting the races. Any suggestions for a preferred store to spend our air race dollars with? Anyone selling ticket packages in the local area?

I would prefer to spend with those that support the races actively or otherwise. Thanks all - Bob

Re: After Scolari's - what to do

Originally posted by o4asf260 View Post
    It is my understanding that Scolari's has closed down at Lemmon Valley turnoff after many years of supporting the races. Any suggestions for a preferred store to spend our air race dollars with? Anyone selling ticket packages in the local area?

I would prefer to spend with those that support the races actively or otherwise. Thanks all - Bob

Precious Metal has a new sponsor that is on the way into the races.

At Grocery Outlet, you'll find name brand groceries and farm fresh organic produce for 40-70% less than conventional grocery stores.

Comment

I believe they're in the same location as Scolari's use to be.

Comment

Yes they are in the old building and the manager is a supporter.
        There are still a couple of Scolari's in town, one on South Virginia and the one on Robb Drive is still open I think. I have not looked into whether they still give ticket discounts.
        There are also a WalMart and a Smith's at Lemmon Valley if Grocery Outlet doesn't have something you need.
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
          Yes they are in the old building and the manager is a supporter.
          There are still a couple of Scolari's in town, one on South Virginia and the one on Robb Drive is still open I think. I have not looked into whether they still give ticket discounts.
          There are also a WalMart and a Smith's at Lemmon Valley if Grocery Outlet doesn't have something you need.
          Is Scolari's closing down all of their stores?

Comment

They've been downsizing but I don't know their plan.
            There is a member here who's wife (I think) either works for them or did. They might know.
            I do know that my wife follows the blogs and chats for our valley (Cold Springs, the next one north of Stead) and the Grocery Outlet manager is very cool, serious about the local community and responsive to problems. He reads the blogs and responds to praise, criticism and suggestions if that counts!
            We go there first, then Smith's to get those few things they don't carry.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Sounds like good references and a place worth supporting. Thanks!

Getting tickets there was a bonus, but they got all of the business for our groups four days of racing.

Comment

The Scolari's in Lemmon Valley closed after the Walmart opened across the street and siphoned most of their business. No surprise there, it happens across the country. This is from the manager at Scolari's before they closed.

Comment

Yes Grocery Outlet sponsors Knotty Girl and Precious Metal. Great supporters of the air races.

Comment

Dean and Sara, the owners of Lemmon Valley Grocery Outlet are supporting Precious Metal and Knotty Girl this year. They have been fabulous to work with. Go support the local Grocery Outlet!!
                    Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 09-02-2014, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                      Dean and Sara, the owners of Lemmon Valley Grocery Outlet are supporting Precious Metal and Knotty Girl this year. They have been fabulous to work with. Go support the local Grocery Outlet!!
                      Good enough for me. I will chose to support the new sponsor. BUT, the Scolari family has long supported the NCAR and I believe are still on the RARA board. The economics of the Lemmon Valley location could no longer support the store. As a local, I am still a loyal customer at other Scolari's locations (they have excellent deli sandwiches and a good beer cooler).
                      "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

The only two Scolaris that will remain open as far as I know are the Caughlin Ranch store and the Pyramid Way store. I think Sac-N-Save too but, not 100% sure. They are downsizing the company. I do my shopping at Raley's now. There is a Raley's right off 395N in Golden Valley (just before Lemmon Valley).

I haven't been to Grocery Outlet yet. If they are supporting the races though, I'll do my race week shopping there since I'll be passing by it every day anyways.
                        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Plane Nuts View Post
                          The Scolari's in Lemmon Valley closed after the Walmart opened across the street and siphoned most of their business. No surprise there, it happens across the country. This is from the manager at Scolari's before they closed.
                          That is why all the Walmart heirs are billionaires. They drove all the mom and pop stores out of business. What you gonna do? Give your business to local businesses.

Frank C.

Comment

There are high costs associated with the low prices........

Comment

The remaining Scolari's stores still offer the $5.00 off admission tickets.
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X