Voodoo Update!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voodoo Update!!!!!!

New video of Bob and Stevo, go check it out on the website!

Last edited by Airracer98; 08-27-2014, 03:47 PM.

Re: Voodoo Update!!!!!!

Originally posted by Airracer98 View Post
    New video of Bob and Stevo, go check it out on the website!

www.voodooairacing.com
    Great video, love the glasses. Can't wait to see what difference the engine angle change made.

Sure is nice when teams take the time to engage with the fans.

Comment

How cool is that?!!!!! Gotta love the updates, builds the excitement even more.

Comment

That sounds GREAT................one question.............does Strega have a zero thrust line engine?
        Brian

Comment

MY guess (just a guess) is that any major change they make to Voodoo since getting steve-o on the team would be things the witch has that voodoo doesn't.

Just seems logical. If this IS a new superstang mod then I am very interested to see how it changes things. Coming from the model aircraft world, thrust angle has a HUGE effect on flight dynamics.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
            MY guess (just a guess) is that any major change they make to Voodoo since getting steve-o on the team would be things the witch has that voodoo doesn't.

Just seems logical. If this IS a new superstang mod then I am very interested to see how it changes things. Coming from the model aircraft world, thrust angle has a HUGE effect on flight dynamics.
            Strega has a wing incidence change that no other p-51 has.

Kerch has wanted to do the zero deg engine thrust line mod for a long time on a racer. I don't believe any merlin p-51 has ever had this.

Don't forget, Kerch was behind much of what made Strega go fast and helped make Dago even faster. He's familiar with all of this. Modifications come in stages. Voodoo took a long time to get refined. 2009 was just race it as it is, 2010, wing reprofile and system refinement, 2011, engine work, 2013, get it flying again,etc...

Michael

Comment

This is the kind of stuff we always wished for! GREAT teaser vid from Button, Hinton, and the crew! Loved it!

Comment

I have been preaching 0-0-0 for a long time and went to great effort to get as close to that as I could with my engine.
                Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

(Sorry, I'm not sure if Bob has told it)

What are the benefits of a zero degree thrust line?

thx
                  Gibbs

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbs View Post

thx
                    Gibbs
                    The engine will be more in line with the air frame and make it more aerodynamic.

Comment

The engine will be more in line with the air frame and make it more aerodynamic.
                      I would be curious to see how much speed they may pick up!

Comment

Perhaps a 500 mph qualifying time this year
                        Brian

Comment

Also the power will be delivered more efficiently. Should increase acceleration and top speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbs View Post

thx
                            Gibbs
                            Theoretically it keeps all components of the thrust in-line with the way the airplane moves through the air, but it also affects handling and stability so it has to be approached very precisely. Think of it this way, if the engine is tilted propellor-end down relative to the airframe, a small component of the prop's thrust is now wanting to push the nose down, and the tail has to be trimmed to push the nose back up and the wing has to generate a little more lift to offset the tail and engine pushing down. That trim on the tail and extra lift demanded of the wing translates to some drag. Same way the other way around- engine is tilted to pull the nose up a bit, the tail has to be trimmed to push the tail up as well (push the nose down). That all actually sounds good because it unloads the wing, but now the handling may get squirrely when you transition from straight-and-level to a G-loaded turn, depending on the fore-aft weight distribution and how it has to be trimmed for straight-and-level.

Comment

Does the leading edge of the horizontal need to be raised by two degrees?

Comment

Working...
                              X