Books on the Roto-Finish Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books on the Roto-Finish Special

Need some help guys... are there any books out there (besides Tegler's GYHAR) that have information on Gunther Balz & the Roto-Finish Special? Reason I ask is that one of his relatives contacted me though the website and was looking for more information then was over at the P1 site. I was thinking there was something in Mustang: The Racing Thoroughbred, but I can't be sure because I don't own the book (sadly... need to rectify that situation). Anyway... Is there anything you can recommend?

Thanks in advance!
    Mark K....

Re: Books on the Roto-Finish Special

I HAVE A PICTURE OF GUNTHER'S BEAR CAT FROM THE YEAR BEFORE HE WON THE GOLD IN THE MUSTANG ~ I THINK I HAVE PICTURES OF HIS MUSTANG SOMEWHERE ~ I WOULD NEED TO LOOK FOR THEM.

Attached Files

Comment

I certainly have some stuff..
      Will take some digging.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, but I guess I wasn't clear enough... here's the guy's email:

Gunther Balz, the Unlimited-class winner at Reno in 1972, is actually a relative of mine. I've enjoyed reading the articles and photos you have online, but am wondering if there are any books that have the story and photos of the Roto-Finish Special? Thank you very much for your time. John G.

I was going to recommend Tegler's & Mathew's book - any others you guys know of?
        Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
          Thanks for the replies, but I guess I wasn't clear enough... here's the guy's email:

Gunther Balz, the Unlimited-class winner at Reno in 1972, is actually a relative of mine. I've enjoyed reading the articles and photos you have online, but am wondering if there are any books that have the story and photos of the Roto-Finish Special? Thank you very much for your time. John G.

I was going to recommend Tegler's & Mathew's book - any others you guys know of?
          There are few paragraphs in the Red Baron chapter about Balz/Roto Finish in Tegler's & Mathew's book.
          "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudchaser427 View Post
            I HAVE A PICTURE OF GUNTHER'S BEAR CAT FROM THE YEAR BEFORE HE WON THE GOLD IN THE MUSTANG ~ I THINK I HAVE PICTURES OF HIS MUSTANG SOMEWHERE ~ I WOULD NEED TO LOOK FOR THEM.

Anyone know for sure?...but that looks like a (short tail) F8F1 Bearcat??
            Nice Photo too!

Comment

what about old air classics magizines Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro View Post
                what about old air classics magizines Shawn
                Thanks Shawn (and everyone else too )

I think I do recall an article I saved on the Mustang where they detailed the testing done on on the aerodynamic mods (where they had little strings all over the plane to see how the air flowed over the surfaces). I think it's more technical in nature then anything on Gunther, but I'll look for it and if I can find it - will send along with the books listed here so far (maybe just go ahead and direct him to this thread).

thanks again everyone for the replies... appreciate ya!
                Mark K....

Comment

I'm actually embarrassed to admit, I can't remember if Gunther is still with us? 20 years ago, all these factoids were floating around in my head, ready for easy recall... Crap, now, I'm just happy if I can remember my name at meal call.. JUSSSST kidding!! Not there yet but I can sure see it someday!!

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Yes , Dr Balz is still alive , still an active pilot and lives in Florida. You may be thinking of Cliff Cummins who died a couple of years ago.

Comment

Gunther is indeed alive and well, in fact is building another airplane as we speak ~ he's part way thru assembling a Allison powered Spitfire kit ~ and just recently finished building a Pitts Model 12 M14 kit ~ He stays busy for sure

Cloudchaser
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Cloudchaser427; 09-02-2014, 07:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

There is a little information (some photo's and a timeline/race results) on #5, mostly Miss RJ, in Jim Larsen's "Air Racers" if you are looking for the airframe's history.
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Dr. Balz is pretty cool.

Frank C.

Comment

I have a Air Race book by Reed Kinert (1972) that shows Gunther Balz's P51 Roto Finish & another one of the rudder with the entire trim tab missing after Heat race1A. I will have the book by F1 #69 during Reno. (Cape May photo of his F8F-1 also).
                            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                              I have a Air Race book by Reed Kinert (1972) that shows Gunther Balz's P51 Roto Finish & another one of the rudder with the entire trim tab missing after Heat race1A. I will have the book by F1 #69 during Reno. (Cape May photo of his F8F-1 also).
                              Hey Bob. I saw in another post that you were a bit short this year to make it to RENO..

Bottom line, PM me if uncomfortable, how much do you need to get to RENO this year?

We, the fans and historians of the sport, can not afford to allow you to not be there...

I think I can guarantee you a bunk spot in a trailer, if you're game...

Where are you in the world? Maybe someone in transit can pick you up..

?
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X