Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm thinking.......

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
    My understanding is an engine rebuild and an aluminum carb induction intake...not much visual difference, a bit different under the hood.
    Yeah she's got this in the bag. G'night Merlins, the roundies have a lullaby to tell you!

On a side note, this site is exhilarating today, finally feels like air race season!!!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      On a side note, this site is exhilarating today, finally feels like air race season!!!
      Indeed, it's about damn time.
      "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
      -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin_ofIdaho View Post
        ...Will put up speeds we have never seen out of a 3350....
        Does this imply that the Bear's 490's will be shattered by our friend in Two-Three-Two?

World's fastest Sea Fury indeed. I'm a believer...

- Joseph

Comment

Maybe a reminder to the doubters:

Comment

Reliable source stated that Strega will be there.

Comment

Who built the engine for 232 this year?
              Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                Does this imply that the Bear's 490's will be shattered by our friend in Two-Three-Two?

World's fastest Sea Fury indeed. I'm a believer...

- Joseph
                Yes. The only way it can get pass the v12s is to have speeds in the high 490s. It's about time we see a 3350 at those speeds again. I believe Hoot can do it!

Benjamin

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                  I don't think the damage required a tear-down of the engine...

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                    Current engine is from Anderson Aeromotive.

And yes, I don't know for sure if they even had to rebuild after last year.
                    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
                    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

The Precious Metal article in the September "Pilot" magazine said that Thom planned on bringing all 12 cylinders this year, not the 9 he was running on last year. That might make something of a difference.....

Comment

A few observations along these lines from last year that validate 232 being in the hunt-
                        -232 looked pretty close to Voodoo early in Staurday's heat, before the tailwheel decided to impersonate a fixed-gear aircraft (and then of course there was the issue of the two large ka-whumps, followed by Hoot going skyward). Obviously I have no idea what power setting Hinton was at, so its possible he wasn't working too hard.

-I recall reading that Voodoo had enough metal in the screen(s) that they had to change back to the qualifying engine to ferry home. Force them to run hard the whole time and ? (which Strega and/or 232 could do)

-Put Strega and Voodoo 1-2 off the start running WFO, one or both could certainly boat-anchor their Merlins. Wide open field at that point.

Regardless, wish I could be there. Hopefully 2015 will shape up well. Unfortunately this year, I will have to make due with the internet coverage.

My usual disclaimer-I am not an air racer or crew member, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Comment

Seems to me Mr.Kerch has had a bit of an influence on past winners.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                            Did everyone forget that last year was the first time Voodoo DID NOT break?

Not trying to be a dick, but they dont have a rep for being reliable. They certainly are the team to beat, but short memories make bad bets.

If the Voodoo team hadn't evolved over the years, then I'd call last year a fluke. But the truth of the matter is, the pieces all finally came together (Kerch, Wilton, Hinton Jr., and the rest of the current team.) Those pieces are still together, so I think they'll be back with even a little more reliability under the cowl, and in contrast the Strega team has changed a lot. Now... Voodoo could indeed could break right out of the gate and you could say "told ya so." But to my thinking, THAT would be the fluke and not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
                              If the Voodoo team hadn't evolved over the years, then I'd call last year a fluke. But the truth of the matter is, the pieces all finally came together (Kerch, Wilton, Hinton Jr., and the rest of the current team.) Those pieces are still together, so I think they'll be back with even a little more reliability under the cowl, and in contrast the Strega team has changed a lot. Now... Voodoo could indeed could break right out of the gate and you could say "told ya so." But to my thinking, THAT would be the fluke and not the other way around.
                              Agree 100%. I also think we would have seen them finish some of races that never happened during that evolution.

Still super happy that Bob got a win.
                              Last edited by flyingjibus; 08-27-2014, 12:03 PM.

Comment

I'm a huge 232/September Fury fan, and I remember how thrilling it was to see Mike Brown win the trophy in 2006. While I think a 490+ qualifying lap may be in the cards for Hoot this year, I still don't think 232 can string together enough laps at 480+ to win the Gold on Sunday, unless there's Merlin breakage at the front. Hope I'm wrong, can't wait to see it unfold in a few weeks!

Comment

Working...
                                X