Looking ahead at the Sport Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking ahead at the Sport Class

The sport class doesn't seem to be as secret as the Unlimited Class so I think this may work… Let's see how much info we can get about current sport class planes and their progression/ and or upcoming sport class racers. Looking around on Facebook i actually found a good amount of info on some sport planes i didn't even know about.

I'll start it off, everyone feel free to add since the site seems kinda slow right now..

https://www.facebook.com/RavenNXT --New NXT for possibly 2016?
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-M...77813289113660 --Check what Andrew has going on for 2014
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Relen...03920056295736 --If you haven't seen Relentless
    https://www.facebook.com/12144179453...type=1&theater --Race 33
    https://www.facebook.com/12144179453...type=1&theater --PLENTY I MEAN PLENTY of Lancairs getting Aerochia treatments…
    -Jon stated that Nemesis will be returning to round the sticks.
    -That other Chevy powered racer that I think Seguin posted about a week or two ago..
    -Big Frog NXT?

Everyone else add to this!!!
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 08-21-2014, 06:26 AM.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Looking ahead at the Sport Class

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    The sport class doesn't seem to be as secret as the Unlimited Class so I think this may work… Let's see how much info we can get about current sport class planes and their progression/ and or upcoming sport class racers. Looking around on Facebook i actually found a good amount of info on some sport planes i didn't even know about.

I'll start it off, everyone feel free to add since the site seems kinda slow right now..

https://www.facebook.com/RavenNXT --New NXT for possibly 2016?
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-M...77813289113660 --Check what Andrew has going on for 2014
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Relen...03920056295736 --If you haven't seen Relentless
    https://www.facebook.com/12144179453...type=1&theater --Race 33
    https://www.facebook.com/12144179453...type=1&theater --PLENTY I MEAN PLENTY of Lancairs getting Aerochia treatments…
    -John stated that Nemesis will be returning to round the sticks.
    -That other Chevy powered racer that I think Seguin posted about a week or two ago..
    -Big Frog NXT?

Everyone else add to this!!!
    Race 33 is not coming this year, neither is Nemesis NXT.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
      Race 33 is not coming this year, neither is Nemesis NXT.
      Well I know that I'm just looking "ahead", most of these besides Kevin and Andrew aren't coming this year.
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Looks like some good racing for 2015 though...............should be good this year too........lots of airplanes in the sport class....can't wait.
        Brian

Comment

Being that I have a rather uphill battle and no contest for the win, I know it doesn't generate as much interest. But, I'll share anyway. I have to thank some sponsors this year because without them, this wouldn't be possible.

Unleashed will be sporting 2 new updates this year.

In the speed department, I switched to an Airflow Performance FM-200A fuel servo. The attached picture below speaks for itself. But, beyond the increased inlet area, initial testing has shown a much more accurate management of the fuel/air ratio. Especially at the higher RPMs. Plus Don at Airflow is such a nice guy, that alone is worth it. Being that I needed a new airbox for the new fuel servo, I took some advice of those trying new things. The details I'll share later, or at least when I know my competitors are out of time to build their own. Moral of the story, I introduced a properly shaped velocity stack into a large volume airbox. So far, it is working really well! But, I only have 2 test flights at this point.

In the "This is just cool all around, who cares if it doesn't go faster" department, I finally ditched the Matco wheels and brakes. I HATED those things with a passion. Couple years ago I got a flat in front of the T6 pits just from hitting a gap in the pavement a little hard. Soooo, extremely happy to have worked with sponsors to install a new complete set of Beringer wheels and brakes. The install is proving difficult because Unleashed is being Christine, and everything is harder. I swear some day I am going to rename it Christine after that movie. Anyway, tons of benefits. Tubless being one of the major improvements. Very light weight, sealed bearings, brakes that actually work, anti-skid pressure limiter, etc etc etc.. They are going to be sweet! When I get it done.

There will also be some minor changes to a few systems this year. Re-routed the oil coolers to use the rear oil cooler first, then the front. Get the most delta-T before it goes back in the engine. I haven't needed water spray since my first year of owning it, but it would be nice to have a little more safety margin on the really hot days at Reno. RPM = Heat, and we have a lot of RPM.

As for the other airplanes, most of what has been said is all I know at this point. I'll post anything else I hear as it shows up.

Here is my Unleashed Facebook page for more recent updates. (Its just too easy to post updates there, from the hanger, on your phone.. Website updates will come later.)
          Unleashed On FaceBook

Thanks,
          Tom McNerney
          Unleashed #55
          Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Being that I have a rather uphill battle and no contest for the win, I know it doesn't generate as much interest. But, I'll share anyway.
            Hey Tom, you gotta stop feeling that way! A bunch of us are coming to the realization that the Sport DIVISION.. (Parker once told me that DIVISION sounds so much better than Class, so I have ever since tried to refer to it that way) is pretty damn hot and something to watch closely!

Look at your entry list compared to the next fastest DIVISION..

Ain't saying that, like all of us, at the end of the day, we want to see the warbirds race.. but damny, I did an article after the first PRS named something like "Sport Class: NASCAR of the Sky" It's on the site somewhere, I gotta re read it and republish with some current insight..

YOU in particular, represent what one guy who wants to race really badly can bring to the game! Doodwannarace Says it all pretty much!

Thank you for being a part of this part of the sport (fan side) having you guys come here and share the triumphs and the let downs is very special to a lot of people!

Looking forward to watching you on the sticks this year, maybe LiveAirShowTV will get down your way and talk with you a bit??
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

File this one under "Upcoming Sport Class Racers".

Just performed the first engine starts of the P85 (V8 powered variant of the Radial Rocket):

I'll be putting my Sport Class race number (#95) on this one, and work towards the 2015 races.

Should be a fun racer, even though the focus of this design is on a very economical, yet powerful, firewall forward install. A competent DIY'er should be able to build and fly a P85, set up for VFR cross country, for less than $100K total. Engine of choice would be the marine version of the LS3, rated a 418HP. Of course, with the LS engine design much higher levels of power are available if one wanted to aim for more speed. For the first P85 we chose an LS2/LS3 hybrid engine, stroked to 402 CID. This gives us the option to install a slightly bigger cam and turn up the rpm a bit for more performance. First step though is to prove the basic engine installation by accumulating flight hours.

If enough folks become "P85 First Flight Sponsors", we plan to be fight testing this Fall, so we very much appreciate any interest.

Jeff Ackland

PS: Credit for our new website construction goes to Tom McNerney ("Unleashed" Sport Class #55). It was a big job!
              Last edited by Jeff Ackland; 08-28-2014, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Tom,
                I've been following your journey with #55 since the beginning, and quite frankly, I love it! What you do with that little bird is nothing short of special, and I'm sure others here will concur. I enjoy reading about each mod, and being able to see the results each September, sweet! (Love the vids too!)

Keep it up!
                And see you in the pits.
                - Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                  Tom,
                  I've been following your journey with #55 since the beginning, and quite frankly, I love it! What you do with that little bird is nothing short of special, and I'm sure others here will concur. I enjoy reading about each mod, and being able to see the results each September, sweet! (Love the vids too!)

Keep it up!
                  And see you in the pits.
                  - Joseph
                  Thanks! Flew it today with the Beringer wheels and brakes. All I can say is WOW! What a difference. Fixed a lot of little surprises along the way so that is always a good thing.

In other sport class news (so this isn't just an Unleashed show), Race #30 has a TON of new stuff this year. New Turbo's, Panel, Fuselage Mod, Prop and now paint!

Nice to see a big name sponsor on there as well. (Andrew works for Stihl, but still) This sport needs the big names, and then it will get even more interesting!
                  Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
                    Nice to see a big name sponsor on there as well. (Andrew works for Stihl, but still) This sport needs the big names, and then it will get even more interesting!
                    That really is HUGE Tom, over the past decade or so, there have been few universally recognized sponsor names seen on racers.. Mary D. was an employee of FedEx, but the sponsorship wasn't minor and it really does bring something when a big name is represented on a racer.

Now, let's just get a bunch more interested!

Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                    X