The last F2G's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last F2G's

Only two more left in full condition. Ran into one at the Museum of Flight in Seattle's resoration facility. Couldn't believe my eyes when I walked up and saw the long nose and super corsair canopy. Apparently there wasn't room for her in the museum of flight so she's in the restoration facility for now. Sadly due to her rarity she will never fly again unless someone can manage to buy her off the museum (slim chance). Besides that all we have is Race 57 and part of one of the airframes and apparently the engine mount of that was put onto Race 57 so it's in pretty bad shape. It's sad, at least we have two though.

On another fun note, went up to the flying heritage collection while I was up there too. They have the only FW-190 Dora in existence. This is the Focke wulfe with the round nose but has an inverted V-12 in it. They say she's airworthy but will never fly because of her rarity. Also have a FW-190 with the original BMW engine that they fly pretty often. Cool stuff in Washington for any aviation buffs out there, strongly recommend checking out some of the museums. The Boeing plant is overwhelmingly cool as well.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: The last F2G's

There's another Dora in the NMUSAF at Dayton. At one point after the war, while they were in the US, the wings got swaped between the two, but that was put right when both were restored about 30 years ago.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Space Needle,  Seattle Air Museum, Pike Street Market 049.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	227707 That F-2G in Seattle I'm pretty sure use to be on displayed. I was there a few years back and was shocked when I saw it there........was kewl to see it. Found a picture of her.
      Brian
      Last edited by supercub; 08-13-2014, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]20792[/ATTACH] That F-2G in Seattle I'm pretty sure use to be on displayed. I was there a few years back and was shocked when I saw it there........was kewl to see it. Found a picture of her.
        Brian
        Yep that's her!! Gorgeous bird. She should be on display not in the resoration facility where I found her.
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I agree, I took that picture, +/- 5 years ago when I was there.
          Brian

Comment

What did they put in its place, inside? I was there about 2.5 years ago and it was just up the steps from the SR-71 nose section.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
              What did they put in its place, inside? I was there about 2.5 years ago and it was just up the steps from the SR-71 nose section.

Will
              Amelia Earhart exhibit with a Vega like hers was. The Super Corsair shouldn't have been replaced with that
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I believe the F-2G in Seattle came from the Champlin Museum at Falcon Field in Mesa,AZ.

Frank C.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank C. View Post
                  I believe the F-2G in Seattle came from the Champlin Museum at Falcon Field in Mesa,AZ.

Frank C.
                  Did a little research on that museum and it looks like a lot of planes went from that museum to the museum of flight. Besides the F2G it looks like P-47 razorback "Big stud" and their Warhawk both belong to museum of flight now.
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

The Museum of Flight bought the entire Champlin collection (minus the 190D that is now with Paul Allen) in 2000.

The F2G is a novelty. You people may think that it's a travesty that an F2G be replaced by a replica of Amelia's plane, but the museum is about drawing the general public in and educating them on aviation. Amelia, regardless of how dead that horse has been beat by TIGHAR, is a draw that brings the general public in. The Museum also already has a stellar FG-1D Corsair in the next building over that was pulled out of Lake Washington in the early 1980's and is restored in it's original markings, so as far as the MoF is concerned, they already have their historically significant Corsair in the collection and on display.

The F2G never was, nor never will be, anything more than a novelty to the Museum people...and you can bank that given that everyone in my family has worked there in their lifetime. We know. Take solace in that the airplane is in fantastic condition, safe and dry indoors, and anyone that wants to see it knows where to find it.

Comment

Name:	109.jpg
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	227708Click image for larger version

Name:	JUG.jpg
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	227709

Here are a couple from there. Spring 2014. Great museum.
                      "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Originally posted by boomtown View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]20793[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20794[/ATTACH]

Here are a couple from there. Spring 2014. Great museum.
                        The things I would do for that razorback

My favorite plane at the museum
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Name:	YAK.jpg
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	227712Click image for larger version

Name:	CORSAIR.jpg
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	227713Click image for larger version

Name:	GEEBEE.jpg
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	227710Click image for larger version

Name:	SPIT.jpg
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	227711Here are a few more. Sorry for the fuzz.
                          Last edited by boomtown; 08-13-2014, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Do they have a Vega in the museum too? I know they put the Lockheed 10E Electra and the Stinson Model O replica in the main Museum , and took the F2G out.

Comment

Name:	MOF.jpg
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	227714

Don't recall seeing a Vega. So many planes. Hard to remember them all.

Comment

Working...
                              X