No announcement yet.

Is this the official unlimited list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is this the official unlimited list?

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    The purse is 650 regardless of the number. RARA had to agree to that to get the fast guys to show. The extra 100,000 will never happen as it's predicated on event success and gate turn out we never see the gate numbers so no to verify, so of course it never happens. Whether Rara honors the 650,000 purse will have to be seen to be believed.
    Thanks for my defense Matt
    Sucks the extra 100k won't happen though. Nonetheless excited for this years races, hope to see ya in Wildfire next year Matt!!!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

[QUOTE=Ron Lewark;119694]In 2012 when the races were in doubt do to money problems, I remember the Nevada Tourism Commission coming to the rescue with $$$. Maybe Rara should talk to them about a donation for the prize fund. Matt, we're sure going to miss you running the pylons this year. Are you coming to the races this year and share your expertise and knowledge?

Ron, I had made my mind up when I crawled out of Strega last year that it was the last time I would be crawling out of a competitive racer. I am 56 this year and feel I have lost the desire to race at Reno any longer. There was and still is too much drama. I always said that when it was not fun anymore I would leave the sport. Years ago early in my career I thought that it would be tough to give up something so exciting as unlimited racing. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it really has been. Imagine no 30 day push to get ready for Reno. No more $10,000 insurance policy premium for ten days of fun. No more fighting with sponsors for money. No more dancing with Rara and the Faa. Simply put it's been awesome to finally get away from the pressure and Bull Sh#!. This Sept will be different then the previous 50. I won't be at the races and I won't miss one minute of it. I will miss hanging with fellow pilots in the pits. What I have decided to do is to make a point to fly and visit those friends where they live throughout the year rather then waiting for once a year at Reno. Other then that it's actually pretty refreshing.

Comment

Matt, thanks for your reply. We've been going since 1974 and don't feel we'll ever see what the seventies, eighties and ninties produced. Those were the best times for the races, with lot's of new unlimiteds being built for the races. Times change, people change, events change, and not always for the better. Good Luck with what ever the future holds and thanks for all the memories.
        Ron

Comment

Sad to see you go Matt but respect your decision. Thanks for keeping us in the loop here at AAFO. Cheers and all the best!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
            Judging off of the facebook page, Hisey did not sell her but these new guys were gonna bring Miss A this year. I assume Hisey would be retiring though once he gets rid of Miss A.

"The Officially Unofficial Miss America Air Racing Team
            Aug 7 ·
            Sad news, ladies and gentlemen.

Miss America will NOT be attending the Reno National Air Races this year, citing carryover issues with the organizers from 2013.

Also, she has NOT been sold, though she IS for sale. (runs and buys lotto tickets)

Best get to the Oklahoma Museum of Flying ASAP if you want to get up close and personal with the Lady in Red, White and Blue. Who knows when we'll see her racing again.

Steve"

Welll geez .,, what a shock to go on FB and see that today. So much for Mr. BS Big Mouth and his Monopoly dollar$$ and purchase of Miss A and Strega and plans to go fantasy racing in 2014. And look what's still for sale at Platinum, you do not leave an ad up if something has sold.

Platinum Fighter Sales specializes in the sale of quality, historic, vintage and warbird aircraft, for both the pilot and the collector.

Last edited by John H; 08-21-2014, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Why is she on the entry list then?

Comment

Likely, there was intent to bring her but, ran out of time to get prepped. Wouldn't be the first time there were fewer there on Wednesday than on the entry list. Ms. A probably wont be the only no-show.
                Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
                  <...snip...>So much for Mr. BS Big Mouth and his Monopoly dollar$$ and purchase of Miss A and Strega and plans to go fantasy racing in 2014. And look what's still for sale at Platinum, you do not leave an ad up if something has sold.
                  Well hey, I did say "don't shoot the messenger" when I posted the evidence given to me by a pretty darn reliable, well respected source.

My first overreaction was to read that you were laying the BS Big Mouth thing on myself and "the source".. but then as I look deeper, maybe the blame for the story, if incorrect, lies within another leg of the structure..

Someone with a plan... which may or not be in place..

Anyway.. personally, I just passed on a tip from a "deeply embedded" AAFO.COM source from within the Unlimited racing body politick .. I thought we always posted this stuff with a high level of tongue in cheek. Sometimes, you'll see gospel here, read it here, that's exactly what you see.. other times, you get skunked. Someone wanted to throw a competitor off with a misinformation leak here..

Nice thing is, some of us get "tips" from really, really inside players.. Personally, I try to go with them carefully, with a keen eye on how things written in haste at the moment, wind up being interpreted

This one continues to bear merit to watch for possible future chips falling into place.
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hi Wayne, definitely not aimed at you or anybody that went with the story- only aimed at the guy claiming he did the deal. :From what I heard the whole thing was as silly as you or I just going around bragging we bought Dago Red and Tom Reilly's P82 and are coming to Reno .

Comment

Just a side note...

I know RARA is definitely not the quickest at getting information out or updating information for that matter, but the Miss A facebook page made that post a few days before the list was published. I checked on Sawbones progression and they say they're working on the Reno thrash right now too so wishful thinking but the entry list might be somewhat true. It may just be me but I think they added or dropped one sport plane yesterday also... It's just a waiting game for now, the "officially unofficial" facebook page doesn't have to be correct either.
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                      X