How can you not like Air Racing ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you not like Air Racing ??

Just saw this, maybe it's been posted before, don't know, hope it's ok to post here. Looks like a couple of Jets get awfully close at 4:28.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkRE4DH12Go
    Brian

Re: How can you not like Air Racing ??

Originally posted by supercub View Post
    Just saw this, maybe it's been posted before, don't know, hope it's ok to post here. Looks like a couple of Jets get awfully close at 4:28.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkRE4DH12Go
    Brian
    Optical illusion.. It makes for some really good photography when the perceived angles of path of an airplane that is outside is actually viewed to be inside of the "arc" of the airplane on the inside.. through the lens, it looks like "oh $hit" but it's really quite a safe situation. The outside airplane has a good situational view of the inside airplane he is trying to overtake, to them, their view is a constant as they traverse around that arc.. for those of us on the ground, especially through a lens where depth perception is tricked, it looks scary.. this particular shot is, in my opinion, quite normal and safe...

Again, it's all about angles of view. Look at a lot of IF1 and Biplane shots, there are a lot of seemingly very close shots that, in truth, are a trick of the lens and angles.. Easier to do in photos, but look at the depth of field focus, in stills, it's pretty easy to see that one of the subjects is out of focus... either closer or further than that which the camera is actually focused on..

Hope this helps, didn't want anyone to have a heart attack over a simple visual trick of the telephoto lens..

PS... watch baseball games where there is telephoto "visual error".. lots of things look quite different to the naked eye than when seen through tele glass..
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

It's kinda what the aero teams count on, the perceived closeness of their opposing passes and such. get far enough off of the optimal viewing angle and what is an Oooooh moment actually appears very safe.
      A great example is the crossover break that the 3 Snowbirds do. From show center it looks like a super close daredevil maneuver. From the infield it is a group of planes doing barrel rolls in trail formation. Not in any way making light of their skill, but they want it to be safe while thrilling the crowd a bit.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I can appreciate what Wayne is saying, but if you look at that again, I don't think it's the camera angle/distance, I think they're actually very close. Look at them when they first appear.........they're close, then drift closeer in the turn.
        Brian

Comment

Working...
        X