Sport Class News?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Class News?

With the Sport Class entries on the rise, I'm surprised at how little news/discussion there's been this year.

Will there be anyone that's able to challenge Jeff LaVelle?
    Surprised someone hasn't purchased Dan Wright's NXT. Asking price too high or some other issue?
    There have been some rumblings that Greenamyer's Lancair may be back
    Will the GP-5 be back?
    Haven't heard much about Relentless this year. You out there Kevin?
    Any other exciting news out there?
    Sky Critter

Re: Sport Class News?

I was just getting ready to start a thread about the sport class and what I know about this years racing.

For starters, here are some answers, and some opinions:

Challenge Jeff LaVelle? Yup, big time. I really have no idea where I'd put my money though, and I love that part of it!

Dan Wright NXT: Well, not that it is over priced in my opinion (like I have $350K+ to burn.. lol) but it has had a pretty difficult life thus far. Not that it is ruined by any means, I'd fly it. But, I suspect that is the reason for the slow sale.

Race #33: Rumblings are true, but not for this year.

GP-5: As far as I know, it will be back after setting some speed records over the summer.

Relentless: Kevin has been busy with Titan Engines, but I saw the other day he had a big geared Continental getting ready for the dyno. So, that means we're all in for a show!

Now for other general sport class news. We have 39 airplanes entered to race this year by my last count. RARA has granted us a 4th heat race because we have so many airplanes. It will be the biggest year for the sport class, again.
    www.SportClass.com

Personally, Unleashed is actually going to get some pretty big changes this year. And as usual, it will be a marathon to get it done before Reno. I'll be announcing some supplier partnerships in the next couple days hopefully that will explain my plans. Hope they work! A few have asked so I'll mention it here; I don't think I'll be making shirts this year. I have said it before, but often times it is as hard to print shirts and get them delivered as it is to get the damn airplane to Reno. I have too many things on my plate this year, even though I could use the Fan Sponsors! haha

Tom McNerney
    Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Also, I thought I would share some progress on a future sport class racer that has been in the works for some time now. I think it has been mentioned before, but the P85 is getting close to first flight.

This will be a Chevrolet LS powered V8 airplane that could be built on a very affordable budget compared to many other race aircraft. Here are some progress photos:

Unlike a lot of other aircraft that remain ideas forever, this one is getting done!
      Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Oh man looks sweet. The sound of a big block, what kind of cam profile you run for an aircraft installation??

One with a lot of overlap would bring smiles on us old hot rodders

Thanks for sharing young man.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
          Oh man looks sweet. The sound of a big block, what kind of cam profile you run for an aircraft installation??

One with a lot of overlap would bring smiles on us old hot rodders

Thanks for sharing young man.

Turns out that in an engine built for a plane a relatively mild cam , giving a broad torque curve, is better for everyday use.

The engine is an LS2/LS3 hybrid, stroked to 402 cid. We are using a 1.8:1 reduction ratio, resulting in 2800 prop rpm at 5000 max crank rpm. A future option is more cam timing combined with a 2:1 re-drive ratio and more rpm = more horsepower.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Ackland View Post
            Turns out that in an engine built for a plane a relatively mild cam , giving a broad torque curve, is better for everyday use.

The engine is an LS2/LS3 hybrid, stroked to 402 cid. We are using a 1.8:1 reduction ratio, resulting in 2800 prop rpm at 5000 max crank rpm. A future option is more cam timing combined with a 2:1 re-drive ratio and more rpm = more horsepower.

Jeff

www.radialrocket.com
            Its a stroke small block, don;t know why I got big block stuck in my mind. That makes sense to have a broad torque curve for the application.

Can't wait to see/hear her. 2015 maybe?

The sport class is getting interesting and exciting.

Comment

Thanks for the great info!

Has Jon Sharp announced any plans for Nemesis NXT? Sale, race or perhaps a record attempt? Sure would like to see that bird on the course again.
              Sky Critter

Comment

Was the race canopy-ed thunder mustang that was lost around long enough to determine if those mods did anything significant? I seem to remember it was pretty quick, and it didnt seem to have any of the top fuel dragster looking stuff that Blue 2 has going on in the engine bay.

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Critter View Post
                  Thanks for the great info!

Has Jon Sharp announced any plans for Nemesis NXT? Sale, race or perhaps a record attempt? Sure would like to see that bird on the course again.
                  I figured I should add what I know about Team Nemesis:

1: NemesisNXT is indeed planning on a record setting event. As of now, "Pinkie" (a term I use lovingly) is still marooned in the hanger due to a DC8 towing incident keeping it locked inside. Thus unable to prep for the event as originally planned for the fall. Jon will fly those record runs when they happen.

2: Also along these lines, Team Nemesis is working on grooming a pilot for racing "Pinkie", but again due to the marooning of the plane, the pilot and plane were unable to make it to PRS, thus racing this year. The addition to the class would add an "international flair" of whom I have no idea..

3: It is rumored that Jon will be a part of Reno this year, from the RARA side of things.
                  Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

A DC 8 Towing incident?

Comment

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
                      2: Also along these lines, Team Nemesis is working on grooming a pilot for racing "Pinkie", but again due to the marooning of the plane, the pilot and plane were unable to make it to PRS, thus racing this year. The addition to the class would add an "international flair" of whom I have no idea..
                      Team "Pink Frog"?
                      Sky Critter

Comment

Working...
                      X