Silly Season 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly Season 2014

With a few exceptions (the "Crazy Rumors" thread being one), it has been awfully quiet for less than two months before race time. Let's start 'er up with the current statuses of the big dogs:

Race 5: Photos on Voodoo's Facebook page hint at a wing re-profile. Other than that, the usual preseason thrash. And there is that new "intriguing" mod that has been mentioned...we'll see in September.

Race 7: Not even going to try to speculate. Tiger brought her to PRS, never completely certified, had a WWE-style press conference with Stevo, rumors of her being sold to a group who also supposedly bought Miss America...we'll see in September.

Race 8: Old reliable is a question mark this time around...after the midair, not much has come out of that camp. Saw somewhere that the Sanders group plans on bringing all 3 of their Sea Furies, so we'll see.

Race 38: Once, again, the Florida crew is the most transparent wit their off-season activity. New Griffon has been hung...although it is anyone's guess as to how "new" it is. Will this be the big boy Griffon they intended to bring last year before it chucked a main bearing? Will it be closer to the "ferry motor" they had to end up using? We'll see in September.

Race 77: From what I've heard, new engine is being put on the old girl as we speak. The horizontal stab will apparently be painted purple on top...will this racer ever settle on a paint scheme? And more importantly, will RB ever be "un" cranky enough to put the coals to the Merlins again?

Race 86: After the little-big man's return last year, she sustained damage upon landing when she made it home. From what I've heard, damage was repairable and for the most part, taken care of by now. And more refinements are apparently in store. We'll see.

Race 232: Repairs have been made since last year's intake destruction on the course during Saturday's heat race. The new aluminum intake is on, the engine is already on the nose and runs have been made. Has she flown yet? And will they fix the stupid tailwheel? We'll see in September.

Honorable Mentions:

Race 11: Rumors are that she was bought along with Strega by the same group. Who knows...

Race 71: Suffered a gear collapse within the past month...team is sprinting to get her ready for September...

Race ???: Jim Tobul planned on bringing "Korean War Hero", a gorgoeus F4U-4 Corsair to race this year...but she ended up on her nose during an airshow earlier this year. However, it looks like they may make it after all. We'll see...

Word on the streets is that we may have around 18 Unlimiteds this year...

Anyone else have additional updates/corrections? Let the fun begin
    Last edited by Tigercat24; 07-22-2014, 08:06 AM.
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Re: Silly Season 2014

Race 38 has brand new heads and banks and a bunch of goodies I can't talk about. This should be the strongest engine this airframe has ever seen. We'll see in September.

Comment

Dreadnought will be there.
      Miss America or some other race mustang will be there (it's a skunkworks secret)
      Tobul's Corsair should be flying next month.
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
        Race 38 has brand new heads and banks and a bunch of goodies I can't talk about. This should be the strongest engine this airframe has ever seen. We'll see in September.
        I am more excited than ever to see what you guys do!

Does anyone know if Race 57 will make a return?

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
          I am more excited than ever to see what you guys do!

Does anyone know if Race 57 will make a return?
          I seriously doubt that Ron Pratt will ever let that plane out of the museum. She's parked for good IMO................
          "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub View Post
            I seriously doubt that Ron Pratt will ever let that plane out of the museum. She's parked for good IMO................
            He's selling everything, and it's actually in Ione right now with the Sanders. -Which is why I was wondering if anyone is going to race it.

Comment

He's selling everything, and it's actually in Ione right now with the Sanders. -Which is why I was wondering if anyone is going to race it.
              This is the kind of juicy tidbits I've been missing.....

Comment

That should be a criminal offense....I sure am glad I got to see her round the pylons, and plenty of photos to enjoy

in "99" I was lucky enough to be a "Fly on the wall" during a conversation between Bob Odegard and Cook Cleland when she was in the static display area.......it was great.
                Last edited by Jim58; 07-22-2014, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Were there any others besides me at the 1946-1949 Cleveland Air Races? As a teenager I was with Jimmy DeSanto who flew a P38,P51 & the ill fated P60E. The Corsairs even looked & sounded good back then.
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                    Were there any others besides me at the 1946-1949 Cleveland Air Races? As a teenager I was with Jimmy DeSanto who flew a P38,P51 & the ill fated P60E. The Corsairs even looked & sounded good back then.
                    Dr. King was taking photos at Cleveland, and is still taking photos at Reno today.

Just like every Thanksgiving, Dr. Aaron King will spend the day with his family, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.

Comment

57 won't be raced. I have it on good authority that it needs quite a bit of work to be airworthy at this point. I don't know if Mr Pratte is having the work done or if that cost will be left to the buyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                        57 won't be raced. I have it on good authority that it needs quite a bit of work to be airworthy at this point. I don't know if Mr Pratte is having the work done or if that cost will be left to the buyer.
                        That's unfortunate! -It was in good enough shape to fly to Ione in January...

Comment

The Super Corsair is at Ione, 232 should be faster than last year. I spoke with Brian yesterday, told him we see him at Reno.

I ask Brian about the performance of the Super Corsair, I thought the plane would have been faster.

warbirds45

Comment

Originally posted by Jim58 View Post
                            That should be a criminal offense....I sure am glad I got to see her round the pylons, and plenty of photos to enjoy

in "99" I was lucky enough to be a "Fly on the wall" during a conversation between Bob Odegard and Cook Cleland when she was in the static display area.......it was great.
                            Lucky isn't the word for it, that's EPIC! Did you get any photos? I would love to see a photo of those two standing next to Race 57.........I took this one on Sat. night in 1999...........Click image for larger version

Name:	web2000race57.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	227693
                            "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Lucky isn't the word for it, that's EPIC! Did you get any photos? I would love to see a photo of those two standing next to Race 57.........I took this one on Sat. night in 1999...........[ATTACH=CONFIG]20735[/ATTACH]
                              NO!!! I was too much of a Rookie at the time to realize what I had seen. it was only my second trip to NCAR and I was still in total awe of everything. If I had it ...I would share with the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X