Furias Vs. 232

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furias Vs. 232

Just an amateur Sea Fury comparison.. If hoot can get 232 to run 480 with a 3350, wouldn't Furias have been able to do 500 easily with that 4360? Yes take into account weight, but didn't Furias have a shorter tail and a few other "full race" mods that 232 doesn't have?
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Furias Vs. 232

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Just an amateur Sea Fury comparison.. If hoot can get 232 to run 480 with a 3350, wouldn't Furias have been able to do 500 easily with that 4360? Yes take into account weight, but didn't Furias have a shorter tail and a few other "full race" mods that 232 doesn't have?
    It is my understanding that the Sea Fury will stay at around 480 to 485, due to the wing? (At least at Reno, pulling g's)?
    I seem to recall the shortened wings like they had on Critical Mass did not work at all like they thought they would?
    Like Bob Diemert said in The Defender "It was a good idea, it just didn't work".

I am no expert, they will be the ones replying to this thread.

Comment

Actually, 232 has a shorter tail. The tail on Furias was enlarged, but did not have the larger T Mk.20 horizontal stabilizer as on Dreadnought. 4360 has slightly more HP for greater weight, so I would say speeds between the two would be about matched on the tight course...

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
        It is my understanding that the Sea Fury will stay at around 480 to 485, due to the wing? (At least at Reno, pulling g's)?
        The Sea Fury is more limited by *wetted area* than it's wing (which is pretty good... certainly better than the F8F)

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
          The Sea Fury is more limited by *wetted area* than it's wing (which is pretty good... certainly better than the F8F)
          I qualified 467 MPH on 3150 HP with the tail gear hanging out and main gear doors hanging open. I had 1000 HP left on the handle. In previous flight tests Furies easily exceeded 535 MPH in a straight line. If you a take in consideration to g loading and
          Available horsepower we were counting on 500 MPH all day long on the course. It certainly would have made the mustangs work a bit harder.

Comment

Matt,
            Isn't the airframe/wing faster for the Seafury and mass size just makes it a bit slower? Thanks, KC

Comment

I was in the stands when Matt had Furias on the course. She looked very fast, and the motor sounded smooth as glass and not taxed at all! IMHO, That would have been a tough team to beat. They may have won, may not, but the Mustangs would have been pushed to their absolute limit to earn that one. Matt, you flew such smooth lines, it was a pleasure (as always) to watch you fly!

Race 29
              Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Any chance we'll see Furias at Reno in the future?
                What is the status of her, is she being repaired?

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                  Any chance we'll see Furias at Reno in the future?
                  What is the status of her, is she being repaired?
                  It is being worked on, but very slowly. There was a lot of damage so it will be several more years before it flies again.

Comment

I was on Google Earth last night, and was looking at Greenland.
                    Lo and behold, it looked like Bob Cardin was up there again. Snagging those four 3350's off of Kee Bird, so they would have enough engines to finally finish a race with 232 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                      I was on Google Earth last night, and was looking at Greenland.
                      Lo and behold, it looked like Bob Cardin was up there again. Snagging those four 3350's off of Kee Bird, so they would have enough engines to finally finish a race with 232 this year.
                      Were there 4 more B29's that we didn't know about?

Comment

Working...
                      X