Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IF1 Relief tube?`

Success!

We checked a bunch of stuff off the list yesterday!

We set a new record for time aloft, we were airborne for 4.2 hours covering some 600 miles during the flight.

We confirmed the relief tube worked. Without going into too much detail I can say that from this respect our racer is very similar to a long EZ.

We proved the alternator works in flight. Proved the exhaust stub keeps the heat off the pilot's butt. And proved we need some more work on the fuel vent system for the Aux tank.

The picture below were taken from Wasabi of our chase plane, Justin Gillen's Tango.

Elliot

Click image for larger version

Name:	10500426_856898037441_8755540928711210785_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	227682Click image for larger version

Name:	image-10.jpg
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	227683

Comment

Great to hear of the successes.
      Just guess'n the abreast formation was used for at least one 'test'

Comment

Originally posted by morss View Post
        when i was younger i flew my shoestring from san carlos to abq for a race my crew chased me in my belanca Viking it was only 2 hours 45 minuets but the crew had to lift me out as nothing seemed to work
        dave

Dave,

What are your thoughts on these oxygen generators? http://www.inogenaviator.com/

If we want to fly a long way high we get to the point where the oxygen consumed starts to have a real impact on the range, this seems like a solution.

Elliot

Comment

since you have power if you can get some sponsorship from them it could be a nice addition its a little pricey otherwise also have you been up high my shoestring didn't go very well above 12000 you might not gain what you expect if paying full price id test up high first and make sure of the expected gains
          dave
          Follow the adventures of one of aviation's top test pilots, Dave Morss. Dave has flown 35 prototype airplanes and over 300 different types of airplanes. He competes at the Reno Air Races and has flown over 185 races in 5 classes more than any other racer in the history of air racing.
          www.davemorss.com

Comment

Originally posted by morss View Post
            since you have power if you can get some sponsorship from them it could be a nice addition its a little pricey otherwise also have you been up high my shoestring didn't go very well above 12000 you might not gain what you expect if paying full price id test up high first and make sure of the expected gains
            dave
            www.davemorss.com
            Dave,

Based on your suggestion we went to 17,000 yesterday to check the oxygen system (bottle) we installed last week.

The problem we are having is the prop rpm goes up with true airspeed so even though we are at the best cruise indicated speed the RPM keeps going up which (obviously) hurts fuel economy. Short answer we need more pitch.

Dick and Mike were running like a lot of pitch when they were doing their around the world flying. Dustin Riggs has been overhauling the prop for Dick's Long EZ "Ol Blue". See below, its a Bruce Tiff cruise prop. Dave, have you ever flown a Tiff prop, I hear a lot of comparisons to the Herzler line of props but you never know what to believe. Check out that root chord, its like 10 inches!

http://oshkoshnonstop.blogspot.com/2...r-ol-blue.html

Anyway we ran out of daylight yesterday so I don't have good cruise numbers above 10.5. My initial hand calcs showed us having excess power to climb through 26,000, but to your point just because we can get there doesn't mean it's the right place to be.

The awesome new custom Catto prop should be here Monday, so we'll have a bunch more data soon.

Thanks Dave!

http://oshkoshnonstop.blogspot.com/
            http://wasabiairracing.blogspot.com/

Elliot and Jenn
            Last edited by laminar; 07-13-2014, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Hey Guys,

We got the prop, and it is wicked!!!!

http://www.cattoprops.com/

Check it out.

Elliot Seguin
              Wasabi Air Racing

Name:	IMG_2469.JPG
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	227685

Comment

Originally posted by laminar View Post
                Hey Guys,

We got the prop, and it is wicked!!!!

http://www.cattoprops.com/

Check it out.

Elliot Seguin
                Wasabi Air Racing

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20725[/ATTACH]
                Whats the thingamagiggy above the label?

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post
                  Whats the thingamagiggy above the label?
                  Thank you for asking!

Some people are calling it a vortex generator, I would call it a fence. Catto has been fooling around with them for a few months, this is the third prop built with them. The best part is, that's not the coolest part.

In order to confirm they were performing their intended function Catto needed to see the flow on the propeller face, which is tough because of the whole spinning thing. So Catto did the logical thing he cantilevered a Go Pro camera off the crank shaft looking out at the blade. That way the camera's field of view rotates with the propeller.

Name:	2B (2) Smaller.jpg
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	227687

Name:	3B with Vort Smaller.jpg
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	227686

How freaking cool is that!!!

Elliot and Jenn
                  Wasabi Air Racing

Comment

Thank you for asking!

Some people are calling it a vortex generator, I would call it a fence. Catto has been fooling around with them for a few months, this is the third prop built with them. The best part is, that's not the coolest part.

In order to confirm they were performing their intended function Catto needed to see the flow on the propeller face, which is tough because of the whole spinning thing. So Catto did the logical thing he cantilevered a Go Pro camera off the crank shaft looking out at the blade. That way the camera's field of view rotates with the propeller.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20727[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]20726[/ATTACH]

How freaking cool is that!!!

Elliot and Jenn
                    Wasabi Air Racing
                    Thats pretty cool. I love simple innovation like that!

Comment

... that's not the coolest part.
                      In order to confirm they were performing their intended function Catto needed to see the flow on the propeller face, which is tough because of the whole spinning thing. So Catto did the logical thing he cantilevered a Go Pro camera off the crank shaft looking out at the blade. ...
                      Wasabi Air Racing
                      That is ingenious!

Did they fly like that, or just ground-test?

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Comment

Working...
                      X