Clear All

• IF1 Relief tube?`

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wasabi2_960.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	241780

Hey Guys,

Jenn and I decided to take our little racer, Wasabi, non-stop from Mojave to Oshkosh this year. We call the effort MoVenture.

As you guys know transporting an airplane like that can be pretty lame. You are either driving pulling a trailer and worrying about getting rearended, or you are landing ever 200 miles looking for a friendly stranger to help you prop the airplane and get the canopy secured.

So we picked the least logical option to go non-stop from southern california to wisconsin. The result is a 1500nm flight, for which you have about ~11 hours of daylight.

In order to increase safety we started asking around if anybody wanted to fly cover and the response was suprisingly overwhelming. Right now the plan is 7 aircraft will fly in formation to the airshow. EAA wants to stop the airshow for the arrival.

The result is we installed a "pilot relief tube" in a formula one...which is more than a little ridiculous.

Learn more about the group and our preparations for this attempt at the website.
    WWW.OshkoshNonstop.blogspot.com/

And let me know if you know any tricks for this kind of thing.

Thank you,
    Elliot Seguin
    Wasabi Air Racing

Oshkosh Sponsors:
    Rick Poe and Susanne Fine
    Donald McMullin
    Dave Ronneberg
    Grove Aircraft
    MGL Avionics
    Catto Propeller
    Spot Tracker
    Go Pro
    Attached Files
    Last edited by laminar; 07-01-2014, 01:24 PM.

Re: IF1 Relief tube?`

Freakin' GORGEOUS Legacy! Have fun guys!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by laminar View Post
      The result is we installed a "pilot relief tube" in a formula one...which is more than a little ridiculous.
      OMG, this conjures up visions I never wanted to even think about...

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Elliot,

First, good luck.

Second, is that route depiction accurate? If so, I'd recommend avoiding the high Rockies in Colorado. Instead, southern Wyoming could be a better choice (Rock Springs to Cheyenne - basically along I-80).

Blue skies,
        Chris

Comment

MoVenture,
          Good luck on your awesome ride.
          The book Flight of passage, about the 2 young men that restored and flew cross country, in a cub. I remember in the book the route was south so they could make it over the mountains. The cubs ceiling was about 10,000', not to much more than they had to scale.
          It was a great read!

Comment

Thanks guys!

We are really excited!

I spent last night finishing up the wiring on the alternator (yet another weird thing for a formula). Hope to run it tonight if these winds let me get the hangar door open.

The route that is pictured above is great circle, direct from MHV to OSH.

The current route we are planning is below.

Thanks again for the enthusiasm!!

Elliot

Name:	Updated route.jpg
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	227674

Comment

Be sure the relief tube is thoroughly tested in all expected configurations and flight conditions. There are many "not quite right" relief tube stories circulating in the aviation world. Nothing like a little unexpected negative pressure differential in the cockpit to start your marathon flight.

Comment

What a bold and awesome idea! I sure hope there is going to be enough room left for you after you add the necessary fuel capacity

George
                Last edited by gschuld; 06-26-2014, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gschuld View Post
                  What a bold and awesome idea! I sure hope there is going to be enough room left for you after you add the necessary fuel capacity

George
                  when i was younger i flew my shoestring from san carlos to abq for a race my crew chased me in my belanca Viking it was only 2 hours 45 minuets but the crew had to lift me out as nothing seemed to work
                  dave
                  Attached Files
                  www.davemorss.com

Comment

Thank you guys, we plan to try the relief tube on the next flight, not really excited about that test point.

Thank you for sharing that photo Dave, you look ready for the cold!!

Last night we got the alternator to work, one step closer!

http://oshkoshnonstop.blogspot.com/2...tor-works.html

Justin Gillen (the Dudeman) celebrates the victory.

Name:	Dudeman.jpg
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	227677
                    Last edited by laminar; 06-27-2014, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Thank you guys, we plan to try the relief tube on the next flight, not really excited about that test point.

Thank you for sharing that photo Dave, you look ready for the cold!!

Last night we got the alternator to work, one step closer!

http://oshkoshnonstop.blogspot.com/2...tor-works.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20699[/ATTACH]
                      If testing permits I would suggest using an altimeter in the cockpit (pickup/vent inside) to measure pressure differential from the regular altimeter. If you have negative pressure inside it could make for a miserable flight(=
                      Could also set up the test altimeter to check to see if there is vacuum or positive pressure on the tube itself.

In the Bear the accessory section was so tight it would develop vacuum equivalent to 1000ft altitude, Had to be taken into consideration for venting and whatnot.

Best of Luck and going to keep watching this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                        If testing permits I would suggest using an altimeter in the cockpit (pickup/vent inside) to measure pressure differential from the regular altimeter. If you have negative pressure inside it could make for a miserable flight(=
                        Could also set up the test altimeter to check to see if there is vacuum or positive pressure on the tube itself.

In the Bear the accessory section was so tight it would develop vacuum equivalent to 1000ft altitude, Had to be taken into consideration for venting and whatnot.

Best of Luck and going to keep watching this thread.
                        Have seen several relief tube installations with an instrument venturi at the intended outlet end providing vacuum. Something to keep in mind if gravity needs some help.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20699[/ATTACH]
                          If the Dudeman rocks that hard over an alternator victory, I'd love to see how he responds to a successful relief tube test.

Looks like AvWeb picked up the story...pretty cool.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...h222266-1.html

Comment

Hey Guys

We got some pictures from Craig Catto yesterday. He is machining a new custom high efficiency prop for the attempt.

Thank you Jotunn for the AVweb call out, I had not seen the article yet!

Should have relief data very soon. We did simple experiment yesterday and I was surprised how much negative pressure was being generated.

Check out that prop!

Elliot

Name:	catto-prop-logo.png
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	227679Click image for larger version

Name:	Catto CNC.jpg
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	227680
                            Last edited by laminar; 07-02-2014, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Negative pressure in the cockpit or through the tube?

Comment

Working...
                              X