Tiger Sells Strega!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tiger Sells Strega!?

Great thread! Other rivalries were very entertaining also! Anyone remember when the Risky Business crew replaced Miss America's chalks with sandbags?!?! Funny as hell!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by T. Adams View Post

If it is not a Nixon motor, Strega is toast. No chance, period, end of story.

Hyper-tuned Merlin builders are certainly a rare breed these days. I assume that Mike Wilton is only building for Team Voodoo. The logical source for said Merlin would be Mike Barrow.......is he still channeling "The Doc"? Is Air Sparrow still
      building the "Mouse"?

Kevin

Hey T. Adams, next time I talk to brother Ricky, I will pass on your regards.....

Mikey is working for Mr. Button so I suspect that is the only program he would have on his plate

I might have some stuff laying around the cave.........

Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams View Post
        If it is not a Nixon motor, Strega is toast. No chance, period, end of story.
        Really?

I wouldn't put a Nixon Grenade in my truck let alone an airplane.

But I'd race Reno and fly across the pond with a Sparrow motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
          Really?

I wouldn't put a Nixon Grenade in my truck let alone an airplane.

But I'd race Reno and fly across the pond with a Sparrow motor.
          I guess you should speak with 10 time National Champion St rega owner and have him jump in with who builds the best Race Motor. Proof is in the pudding boys, not emotion.

Comment

Ok, so, if I was flying with a Nixon OR a Sparrow Merlin. That would mean that there's a pretty good chance that I'd be piloting a P-51. Ah, yeah, I'd fly behind either one!! LOL!!

Race 29
            Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
              I guess you should speak with 10 time National Champion St rega owner and have him jump in with who builds the best Race Motor. Proof is in the pudding boys, not emotion.
              You make it sound like Tiger owes his "10 time National Champion" to Nixon, which is certainly not true.

Strega's engine success is the brain child of Dwight, built by Sparrow, not someone who came along later and rebuilt their design.

I'm not the one who coined the term "Nix Grenade", I guess you should speak with the guy who gave him the plaque with a grenade on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                You make it sound like Tiger owes his "10 time National Champion" to Nixon, which is certainly not true.

Strega's engine success is the brain child of Dwight, built by Sparrow, not someone who came along later and rebuilt their design.

I'm not the one who coined the term "Nix Grenade", I guess you should speak with the guy who gave him the plaque with a grenade on it.
                Dwight certainly was the grandfather of the high output Merlin. Unfortunately no one since except Nixon has produced a big Merlin that actually lives except Nixon. Nixon in fact has had the longest run of success since Dwight and that is a fact that cannot be disputed. I dont see any other Merlin out there surviving with the exception being Mike Wilton's last year's winner and both of Voodoo engine eventually faced impending failure issues. So my comment on Nixon being the go to guy has some merit. I also have an extensive history of flying behind every engine builder engines at some point in my career. I have run two Merlins to the 800 hour mark. Both were Zeuschel motors and both were built by former Zeuschel employee's. Mike Nixon and Rick Shanholtzer. So my comments are well founded. In regards to the grenade award you speak of. Every engine builder involved in air racing has built grenades. Many are pilot induced and are not the fault of the builder. As the old saying goes to run with the big dogs you have to get off the porch. The last five years the Merlin trophy goes to V-12. Sorry if the truth hurts on that one. Engine dependability also is directly related to the money spent on good parts. Low budgets get low Horsepower and poor durability. All the builders currently going at it can build good motors. To imply someone is far superior is a bit much. One final point that comes to mind is innovation. To be innovative one takes great risks. The guy in the trenches blowing **** up trying new ideas is the innovator. All these guys we speak of are innovators and therefore should receive our admiration for their toils in this business we call air racing. Today's winners are tomorrow's losers. That's just the way it goes. V12 builds more Merlins and Griffins then any other builder on the planet. That speaks volumes when one wants to know who certainly should be considered one of the top builders in the country if not the world. José, Mike and their capable crew are my choice for an engine in a plane I am going to fly, and I have flown more then most, for what that's worth.

Comment

Nixon builds good s**t hands down. As do several other other engine builders like Sparrow, Wilton, and Rick. Here is the real s**t end of the stick. If you want to meet all the rules handed down after the 2011 accident in relationship to flight testing you would never make the test deadline if you have an engine built outside of an in house build. For guys like us that are doing major mods to challenge the established front runners there is just not enough time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                    Nixon builds good s**t hands down. As do several other other engine builders like Sparrow, Wilton, and Rick. Here is the real s**t end of the stick. If you want to meet all the rules handed down after the 2011 accident in relationship to flight testing you would never make the test deadline if you have an engine built outside of an in house build. For guys like us that are doing major mods to challenge the established front runners there is just not enough time.
                    The answer is start earlier. Your engine should have gone out the day you returned from Reno. There is plenty of time for testing your mods IF THE ENGINE GETS DONE. The issue becomes as in most cases. MONEY!!!! It's the same old thing we all have been fighting for years. The costs have been going through the roof. It's getting impossible even for the rich. The testing requirements are only common sense. To imply they are the reason all the engine work is done in house is a bit of a stretch, unless I am missing something here.

Comment

Yeah like the time frame from when you get home, and figure out where the money will come from?

Comment

Facebook is a rumble with more people saying Tiger sold Strega.

I'm starting to think that the sale will be announce after the race.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                          Facebook is a rumble with more people saying Tiger sold Strega.

I'm starting to think that the sale will be announce after the race.
                          Randomly found this doing some searching. Mustangs&Mustangs is not necessarily unreliable, just not sure how he got this information though. Who knows, it's fun to think about
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Until the $$$$ exchange hands this story seems to be total BS. Still unsold on the website.

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
                              Until the $$$$ exchange hands this story seems to be total BS. Still unsold on the website.
                              Let's see here.Race Engine to Rick Shanholtzer for overhaul two weeks ago. Even if the guy does not come through with purchase Tiger has free engine and gets to race plane. I think that it's a good deal either way. I bet Tiger might even be saying a little prayer that it won't happen. Time will tell for sure, Bull **** however is not the term I would use.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
                                Let's see here.Race Engine to Rick Shanholtzer for overhaul two weeks ago. Even if the guy does not come through with purchase Tiger has free engine and gets to race plane. I think that it's a good deal either way. I bet Tiger might even be saying a little prayer that it won't happen. Time will tell for sure, Bull **** however is not the term I would use.
                                By any chance do you know where Rick's "shop" is at? Does it have an official name? I just quoted Matt because he brought up the name but anyone can chime in
                                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                                X