Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tiger Sells Strega!?

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
    Wow! What an exciting morning! Not even 0630 and the blood is pumped-up and flowing. My drunken and unreliable sources have told me that Tom Cruise did buy Strega, and Miss America! More cray is that Kanye West and Kim Kardashian are gonna fly them this year.
    I heard they are gonna use Kim's butt as a pylon.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrace View Post
      now that already made my day
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

No way, you see how wide it is. They need a "Wide Load" banner on the car everytime they drive.

The only good thing is there will never be any cut pylons since everyone will be swinging way wide

This thread is going bad real quick.

Comment

In" The Golden Age Of Air Racing" "Tiger" * & Lyle always bantered back & forth on how bad their planes were & then one or the other would go out & set a new qual. record. It got the interest going. Not that much going on anymore except the survival of Air Racing. Most of the kids want to see the jets & drones. Just my 2 cents.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

You guys bust me up!!! (probably some truth in that statement by johnny)

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
              Tiger is the master of subvert and deflect. I would consider doubting anything others say in his behalf. Time will tell on this one. Let's see where his gets his race engine from before we jump to any conclusions. That will be the determining factor in this story. Of course this is only my opinion and not based on anything but intuition.

If it is not a Nixon motor, Strega is toast. No chance, period, end of story.

Comment

Round motor will win this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                  In" The Golden Age Of Air Racing" "Tiger" * & Lyle always bantered back & forth on how bad their planes were & then one or the other would go out & set a new qual. record. It got the interest going. Not that much going on anymore except the survival of Air Racing. Most of the kids want to see the jets & drones. Just my 2 cents.
                  As I recall, Lyle would taunt Tiger over the radio prior to start-up...just to see if he could rile Farmer Bill's alfalfa.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                    As I recall, Lyle would taunt Tiger over the radio prior to start-up...just to see if he could rile Farmer Bill's alfalfa.
                    One of the times when I was strapping Lyle into the Bear he was chuckling a little, I asked him what was up. Our team had found out Tiger's crew frequency before the race and Lyle had gone onto the "secrit Freq" and asked Tige' "Hey what are you doin' wasting your time up here in Reno for, The deadly green bug is destroying your crop down in Bakersfield. You should be home." I couldn't hear Tiger's response. But suffice it to say that until the end of Lyle's days he considered Tiger one of his best friends.
                    John
                    John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                      One of the times when I was strapping Lyle into the Bear he was chuckling a little, I asked him what was up. Our team had found out Tiger's crew frequency before the race and Lyle had gone onto the "secrit Freq" and asked Tige' "Hey what are you doin' wasting your time up here in Reno for, The deadly green bug is destroying your crop down in Bakersfield. You should be home." I couldn't hear Tiger's response. But suffice it to say that until the end of Lyle's days he considered Tiger one of his best friends.
                      John
                      oh this is just great - you just made me spit coke on my keyboard while laughing
                      1960 Piper Comanche

Comment

John
                        The best line I ever heard Lyle say was during the introductions to the 1992 Gold Final. Sandy Sanders asked Lyle what his strategy was for the race. Lyle had been plagued all week with airplane issues. He took the mike and put it up against his lips and said " I am just an old Bowevil gonna eat me a cotton farmer". I thought I was going to crap my pants. The crowd went crazy. Tiger was next to get the microphone. He thought a second and elected not to say anything. It was priceless. Tiger later went on to get revenge as he eventually won the event. But it was certainly the best line ever uttered at Reno.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
                          The best line I ever heard Lyle say was during the introductions to the 1992 Gold Final. Sandy Sanders asked Lyle what his strategy was for the race. Lyle had been plagued all week with airplane issues. He took the mike and put it up against his lips and said " I am just an old Bowevil gonna eat me a cotton farmer". I thought I was going to crap my pants. The crowd went crazy. Tiger was next to get the microphone. He thought a second and elected not to say anything. It was priceless. Tiger later went on to get revenge as he eventually won the event. But it was certainly the best line ever uttered at Reno.
                          Matt,
                          1992 was a brutal year for not just the Bear but other teams as well. It was the year of the bad gas where in RARA learned you could not just pour new gas on top of the old gas and get away with it. But after the lawsuit RARA paid for an engine. Anyway, three nights of all night cylinder changes resulted in the Bear being run down on Sunday by Tiger. Despite the old legend among the fans Lyle never said on the radio "Go Tiger, Go" that was someone else. Two things, that wasn't Lyle's style and he was a little busy at that time with a different issue.

Lyle was very big about no "Smack" talk, he would remind the crew through our very capable Crew Chief Greg Shaw that we would do our talking on the race course, not in the bar. But, he did enjoy the verbal jousting as the late great Dwight Thorn would term it between a couple of the top barnyard roosters. It was good show for the fans, and if any of the racers deserved devoted fans those racers were Lyle and Tiger. Both of them played tirelessly to the fans and both were monster sized competitors, with a huge devotion to the sport and it's fans. Very few people knew how hard Lyle and Tiger worked to benefit the fans.

My point to this was that in 1992 I was arriving back late at the Hotel when I ran into Bill Rheinschild and a mathematical friend of his sitting in the lobby. Bill explained to me that due to all the arrows Tiger had shot into the Bear that year, his mathematics friend had run the odds, figuring that he in Risky Business had a better chance of winning on Sunday than the Bear did. Unfortunately at that point I was seeing more issues ahead for us and could not really disagree. However I did ask his mathematical friend what Rhino's chance of "backing in to the win" four years in a row was? (seems the Zeuschel/Scoville School of Charm still showed it's lovely effects)

BTW it has always been a happy thought that in spite of all the wonderful statistics Rhino finished behind us by declaring a Mayday on lap 3, while the Bear held on for two more laps before Tiger's final arrow took the Bear out. In 1998 Lyle gave that #2 piston and it's little chunk of failed master rod to Tiger for Christmas.
                          Last edited by BellCobraIV; 06-25-2014, 08:23 AM.
                          John Slack

Comment

Mr. Slack,
                            I could listen to your stories forever. A chip off the old block.
                            Miss both of you at Reno.
                            Betty

Comment

(seems the Zeuschel/Scoville School of Charm still showed it's lovely effects)
                              And I'm sure it was like that scene in Happy Gilmore where the ghosts of the alligator and Chubbs are smiling over Adam Sandler's shoulder, surrounded by heavenly light.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams View Post
                                If it is not a Nixon motor, Strega is toast. No chance, period, end of story.

Hyper-tuned Merlin builders are certainly a rare breed these days. I assume that Mike Wilton is only building for Team Voodoo. The logical source for said Merlin would be Mike Barrow.......is he still channeling "The Doc"? Is Air Sparrow still
                                building the "Mouse"?

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                X