OT: B-58 Hustler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: B-58 Hustler

Anybody have any references/stories/accounts of the B-58 Hustler? First flew when I was a kid, but, unfortunately, never got to see one in action. Specifically, what'd they sound like? As a kid, I saw F-104s.F4's and A5's. all powered by G.E. J79's. They all had a distinctive howl/whistle. Since the B-58 had these same type of engines, did it howl? All kinds of videos on F-104s and F4s, but B-58 footage is of poor, newsreel quality.

Any direction I might look?

Thanks.

Re: OT: B-58 Hustler

Some short but maybe a little better quality footage of the B-58 is in the movie "Fail Safe".

Comment

Years ago, we had a retired Hustler pilot submit a little story LINK he had a website with a lot of information but it's long since gone. You might find something with a google search using his name.. whups... fixed the link to his story and did a little googling myself.. http://mvburen.home.xs4all.nl/b-58/ maybe better http://50.137.56.231/b-58/links.cfm
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

In January of 1960 I was an Air Force recruit freezing my butt off at Lackland AFB near San Antonio. Lackland was called an "Airplane Camp" because of the B-24 and B-17 permanently parked on the runway free parade field. This was the Air Force?!
        One day I saw the sight of a lifetime for Lackland: A real aircraft in flight. It was a B-58 Hustler scooting over our field at 2-300 feet and cranking. It schrieked, smoked and disappeared in a flash. Just in this last year I learned that what we had seen was a cross country low flying test to prove that this high altitude machine could fly low and hold together. I saw the film and challenged the course only to find that we saw THE cross country low flying test of the Hustler. It was not a B-1. Too much vibration and fuel consumption.
        Ah, but what a surprising sight!

Comment

Hello V1670
          Here is a link to you tube where you can see and hear the Mach busting B-58 making a low pass at an airshow it will be at the one minute twelve second mark on the video . I worked in F4D Phantom II and our National Guard Here in Puerto Rico Had The F-104 Starfighters what an awesome sound from theGeneral Electric J79-17.
          Juan

Rare footage Nellis AFB 1959; including the cold war era Mach 2 B-58 nuclear bomber.

Comment

Working...
          X