Mira Slovak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mira Slovak

I was just notified that Mira Slovak passed away yesterday, June 16, 2014 at his home in Fallbrook California. Mira had been undergoing treatment for cancer of the stomach for the past 6 months. Mira was 84 years old at the time of his death. Mira requested that there be no services and that he be cremated and his ashes scattered in the Pacific Ocean. He specified the WARM Pacific Ocean rather than the COLD Atlantic ocean that he tried to avoid while flying over.

Mira was my closest friend since 1972 with the building of his P-39, Mr. Mennen. I will miss him greatly!

DON VANCE

Re: Mira Slovak

God Speed and Tailwinds Mr. Slovak

Please pass my condolences on to his family and friends.

Comment

Blue Skies Mira. Thanks for the Memories
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Air Racing has lost another great hero. Please give my condolences to the family.

Blue Skies Forever!

Comment

As a long-time unlimited hydroplane racing fan (grew up couple blocks from Lk Washington during the late 50's & 60') and an air race fan, this news is sadly received indeed.

Rest well, Mira...your race is won.

CAVU...
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Met him before the first Reno races at CalAero where I took my first Fam Ride and then my Primary. Many happy memories of time spent in Club 51, listening to his stories.
            Blue skies and tail winds, Mira Slovak.

Comment

Sad to hear another great air racing legend has gone to the pearly gates. Condolences to family and friends, Blue Skies Mira.
              Ron

Comment

MIRA SLOVAK 1929-2014

GREAT PILOT and GREAT FRIEND
                Attached Files

Comment

You don't see many photos of this man I've long admired. I hope you don't mind that I did a bit of cleanup of your image.

NealClick image for larger version

Name:	Mira 5002 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	227668

Comment

A plane/boat buddy sent me this link. He was a childhood idol of mine, as well as many.

By Fred Farley - H1 Unlimited Historian Hydroplane racing legend Mira Slovak passed away Monday June 16 at his home in Fallbrook, California.  He had been suffering from stomach cancer.  He was 84. Beyond doubt, one of the most colorful characters ever to jockey an unlimited hydroplane was

Comment

Working...
                    X