PRS Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PRS Tuesday

What I got out of the whole situation yesterday was that Tiger was obviously planning on qualifying yesterday or today so he could race. Trevor and Jim didn't have airplanes to qualify in so they were said that they can qualify In the PRS before race week. This most likely pissed tiger off some they didn't have to qualify and still are able to race in September so I say don't worry about it for now.

And I asked Trevor and Jim what Mustangs they will be in and they said it's top secret, they need some work before September, and "I" (an avid air race fan) would surely recognize them. We have even more secrecy this year than last guys I'm excited. Jim said you can bribe Trevor to get last if you were betting but could not pay Jim enough money to get last as it sure won't be happening.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
      If unlimited racing as we've known it is to continue, the event is going to have to find a way to fund the racers to show up.

Donald being interested in this subject is intriguing... Could we see a last minute wrangle, money provided, engine secured, perhaps... a totally qualified pilot acting as "backup" to Tiger... Will Whiteside comes to mind as a player in this sort of scenario..

Smart and marketable IMHO....

With some questions now being raised about Tiger racing Strega in 2014 there are some interesting alternatives to be sure...We all would love to see a race between Tiger in Strega and Stevo in VooDoo (yes I know Bear, 232, The Buick, PM and CM would certainly have a say in this as well)...But if Stevo / Tiger can not take place due to one reason or another, I would have to say seeing Stevo in VooDoo racing Will Whiteside in Strega would also be a great race and one with some exciting build up...I say this as a race fan and as someone with a vested interest.

I know this is not a likely scenario, but I am pretty sure Will could easily be persuaded to do this provided he would have the same crew and engine program in place with Strega (Nixon)(retired?) that Stevo had...Again I know there are many stories and cash flows that need to play out here, but once again I think this match up would be as exciting and PR worthy as the Stevo / Tiger story.

Of course its always possible it would be a side story with a great showing from Bear, 232, Precious Metal , Czech Mate , or the Buick...or any other surprises (the return of DAGO!) :0

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrace View Post
        or any other surprises (the return of DAGO!) :0
        Like I said...

This isn't the most unlikely possibility at the moment. If not Dago then something else may be in order. Ridge Runner III?..
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I find it hard to believe that Tiger would go through all of the trouble to go to PRS without some kind of a plan for September.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
            Like I said...

This isn't the most unlikely possibility at the moment. If not Dago then something else may be in order. Ridge Runner III?..
            I know we are just speculating for fun but what about Cloud Dancer?

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah View Post
              I know we are just speculating for fun but what about Cloud Dancer?
              Another idea a friend of mine had. Not a bad thought for sure
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                Another idea a friend of mine had. Not a bad thought for sure
                That was first plane that came to mind when you brought that up. Ridge Runner still lives in Minnesota with Pat Harker right?

Was Jim not planning on racing his Corsair? I know he had a landing mishap, but the repairs should be underway now and it sounded like they were hoping to have it back in the air by summer's end... -I was just really excited to see that Corsair fly around the pylons; it's one of my favorite Warbirds flying today!
                Last edited by CJAM427; 06-14-2014, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Wasn't "Cloud Dancer"( P51) sold from the Leeward Estate?
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

Whats wrong with Matt Jackson flying "Strega" if he can get the money issue going?
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

ok...........if we're speculating for "fun"; there's a quiet project going on in the southern Nevada desert (location undisclosed by the government). Just a dream, but I'd like to see Matt back in a big ol' nasty red/gold corn-cob Sea Fury.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                        I believe Jimmy sold CD in 2010 or so. I'm sure someone on here remembers the date closer for some reason the last few years run together for me.

BTW anyone consider someone might bring Snoopy back out?

Comment

Interesting to note that Phil Petrik passed on earlier this year. RIP

Random Air Blog

Comment

Bob, one of the heartbreakers of the story, Jimmy so wanted to win RENO.. he tried a lot of ways to get funding to get the racer going... talked to me about fan sponsoring, like we'd helped do with Rare Bear.. I wish I'd have been more encouraging! In the end, he sold Cloud Dancer to get the dollars to finish the racer. It had to have broken his heart to give up that plane!

That is how badly he wanted to Win RENO

I really miss Jimmy's spirit..
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                              Bob, one of the heartbreakers of the story, Jimmy so wanted to win RENO.. he tried a lot of ways to get funding to get the racer going... talked to me about fan sponsoring, like we'd helped do with Rare Bear.. I wish I'd have been more encouraging! In the end, he sold Cloud Dancer to get the dollars to finish the racer. It had to have broken his heart to give up that plane!

That is how badly he wanted to Win RENO

I really miss Jimmy's spirit..
                              Amen Wayne!
                              Watching him, Bob Odegaard, and Hoot Gibson fly mock air races in Oshkosh is partially what got me hooked on air racing.

It would be great to see Cloud Dancer back at Reno!

Comment

Whats wrong with Matt Jackson flying "Strega" if he can get the money issue going?
                                Bob, Tiger and LD felt that I let them down from my pylon cut of Friday that essentially took me out of the running on Saturday gold heat race that would have given me the poll on Sunday. Neither one of them were pleased with the outcome. When the engine started to lay down on lap five I knew we were not going to chase Voodoo down. We got close but no banana. I was lucky to get by Checkmate and Rarebear with the sick engine I had.. The engine was just not making the necessary power to run Voodoo down.When I landed and no one came out to greet me I knew my days of racing Strega were over. Tiger of course had a hundred reasons why I lost the race. . The plane should have easily run Voodoo down, but had no chance in 8 laps with a broken rocker arm. We suffered a broken arm every time I pushed the power up, so it was no surprise when it did the same thing in Sundays final. The rocker arms are apparently only good for 2 years of racing. These had 5 years on them. Po We were doomed from the start with poor planning and worse execution by the pilot. Throw in my outside position on Sundays start there was just no way I was going to catch Steve, even though we clearly had the faster airplane. Just imagine how Strega would have run with a healthy motor. As it was it still finished second. I decided walking back to the pits I was done with the drama of big time air racing. Between the expenses being so high and the constant drama with individuals and organizations I elected to make my retirement official that evening while at dinner with my family. Even if I had the necessary funds today I would not throw it at racing again.. I have raced now for 25 years and it's pretty apparent I am not destined to win this race. I am ever so thankful that I had the opportunity to race so many of these historic aircraft. A win however was just not in the cards. So now we get to see if Tiger after 6 years retired still has his Mojo. He seems to think so and time will certainly tell. I think the new course and age will make his return to racing a very difficult one at best. Not to mention the fact he does not have a spare race motor. Mike posted the other day that he is done building race engines, so I am not sure what Tiger's options might be. Steve and team Voodoo are clearly going to set the pace. Tiger better eat his Wheatees for this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X