• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PRS Tuesday

Well, that went well!

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
      All a moot point now. Sounds as though Tiger is leaving without getting qualified.
      That's true, because nobody else would possibly want to fly Strega in the races.....

Comment

Where is Rod and the Cat? What are the rookie pilots qualifying in?
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
          Where is Rod and the Cat? What are the rookie pilots qualifying in?
          Rod did not show up. Tobul was flying a T-6 to qualify for unlimited. Not sure how that works..... Unsure on the status of any other rookies.

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
            I hear the sounds of stifled laughter... coming from the direction of Florida.

Maybe a little bit from north Texas, too, but its hard to tell.

It IS an interesting exercise to think about where a super-slick airframe might fall with "stock" power. We've seen where a "stock" (ish) Mustang can run with race power (Ridge Runner), but its been a while since we've seen the inverse. I don't question that Strega would be quite fast on stock power, but I think there are several out there flying now that could win that race.
            Strega won't crack 450 with a stock motor unless he runs it at least 100 inches and then it might go somewhere in the 450's and that won't beat 232, 77, 86, 5, So with any luck maybe 5th fastest qualifier maybe or maybe not. He has to have the race motor to run Stevo down. Maybe if everyone pitches in on this site with some donations he can have that race motor freshened up and actually make a race of it.

Comment

Just talked with Jim Lawrence and Trevor Merton the two unlimited rookies besides Tobul and they say it looks like Tiger is still racing. I guess he's in a big group meeting right now? That's what I got from Lawrence anyway
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51 View Post
                Well, kudos to RARA for the positive way they have chosen to fight back at all the talk of the Unlimited class being dead. If nothing else, they've revived flagging interest in this year's event. Whether there's any real substance behind all the theatricality, I guess we'll all find out come September!
                What would you expect them to do? Its their job to make the event happen. The Unlimited's are the show everyone comes for right now for the time being. A weak showing this year might very well be the nail in the coffin for the Unlimited's. Perhaps its time for the Sports class to come out and be the premier racing event. It certainly is more cost effective, especially if they were working with the current Unlimited purse. Several of the sport class racers are going over 400 MPH and they certainly will go faster. Throw some money at the sport class and stand back. Perhaps we are seeing the changing of the guard on this one. It is something we all have to consider. Without mega dollar sponsorship for prize money the unlimited racers are destined to become maybe a novelty race and museum pieces like the racers from the 30's. Remember the old saying. "All good things must and do come to an end" Maybe its time. RARA should be looking carefully at promoting the sport class to a new level. Just a thought!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
                  Strega won't crack 450 with a stock motor unless he runs it at least 100 inches and then it might go somewhere in the 450's and that won't beat 232, 77, 86, 5, So with any luck maybe 5th fastest qualifier maybe or maybe not. He has to have the race motor to run Stevo down. Maybe if everyone pitches in on this site with some donations he can have that race motor freshened up and actually make a race of it.
                  Matt
                  How much are talking about to go through the race motor??

Comment

Originally posted by Donald McMullin View Post
                    Matt
                    How much are talking about to go through the race motor??
                    To go through the motor properly and replace the rocker arms that keep breaking every race 100,000.

He needs help and time is ticking. They need to start July 1st to get everything processed and purchased. Any later then that and it wont happen. Its funny, RARA cries the blues for 500,000 to make the race happen last December and bingo they have that and then some. The racers need help and its no luck. Its time for RARA to cut some pre race checks if they want the big guns to show up for the race. No one and I mean no one can sustain the cost's to run one of these machines alone. It takes sponsors and fans to make it happen. Tiger needs help to make this go.

Comment

Also there is some good news on the horizon. FAA has agreed to allow an additional pylon school 1 week before the races. This means anyone that wants to wait until the last minute to race can literally go the week before and attend ground school and qualify in their aircraft. Its great news for the guys out there wanting to race that can't make the June training event. I am surprised that RARA has not announced it yet.

Comment

Will the week before PRS take place this year?

Comment

I wonder how Tiger would feel about doing a crowd funding campaign? Pass the Hat!! I'll chip in and spread the word!
                          "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

If Tiger runs a stock Merlin at 100" it may go 450, but it will probably also end up with a couple of rods exiting thru the side of the motor.

Comment

To go through the motor properly and replace the rocker arms that keep breaking every race 100,000.

He needs help and time is ticking. They need to start July 1st to get everything processed and purchased. Any later then that and it wont happen. Its funny, RARA cries the blues for 500,000 to make the race happen last December and bingo they have that and then some. The racers need help and its no luck. Its time for RARA to cut some pre race checks if they want the big guns to show up for the race. No one and I mean no one can sustain the cost's to run one of these machines alone. It takes sponsors and fans to make it happen. Tiger needs help to make this go.

I remember when "appearance fees" were paid to some of the top name guys in drag racing.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                                I remember when "appearance fees" were paid to some of the top name guys in drag racing.
                                If unlimited racing as we've known it is to continue, the event is going to have to find a way to fund the racers to show up.

S H I T, these guys already lay their butts on the line, how can we expect them to do so year after year when they are actually funding the event with their dollars spent on the airplanes?

I think Tiger would be receptive to a fan sponsor thing, IF... we could raise enough money in time to make it happen. Having been involved with the fan sponsor thing with Rare Bear, I can tell ya, it's a hard road actually making it happen!

The Bear was a fully functional non profit and donations were tax deductible... IF I'm remembering correctly.. Sharon Coates was in charge of how the money got handled, I just provided "ink"... though electronic, it did the job.

Donald being interested in this subject is intriguing... Could we see a last minute wrangle, money provided, engine secured, perhaps... a totally qualified pilot acting as "backup" to Tiger... Will Whiteside comes to mind as a player in this sort of scenario..

Smart and marketable IMHO....
                                Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X