Anything in Reno this weekend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything in Reno this weekend?

Hi everyone! I'll be in Reno this Saturday and I plan on driving out to Stead for a bit. Is there anything going on out there? Maybe some prep for the Pylon school? I'm hoping to see some warbirds at least. Can I even get near the ramp, or is everything locked down? Are there any "Pylon" bars, or museums? There's really nothing I can think of to do in Reno except Air Racing stuff. They really need to work on that!

Race 29
    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Re: Anything in Reno this weekend?

Heres some suggestions:

V & T Railroad
    The V&T special event trains including Halloween Pumpkin Patch Trains, Candy Cane Express Christmas Train, Train O'Lights, Day Out With Thomas™, and Steam Trains all boarding in Virginia City, Nevada.

National Automobile Museum
    National Automobile Museum is one of the top Reno attractions with a "WOW!" factor you won't want to miss!

Wilber D May Museum

Virginia City - Step Back In Time

Enjoy

Comment

It always cracked me up how Hoss and Little Joe would hop on their horses and ride from the Ponderosa to Virginia City just for a beer.

Comment

Last time I was out there on a non-event day, there's still plenty to see. One time, a F-105 was on the ramp. Always Migs parked around. Back in 2012, saw the Bear in it's cave with the crew working away. They had a (I beleieve) Su-27 in one hangar. Always interesting bits around and great people to talk to. Access was pretty open as well.

Comment

The last 2 days two thunder mustangs have gone up early afternoon.

They have been flying together and fast.

Sure be nice to see more of them, they look cool and sound great.

Just think a race series with 3/4 scale warbirds, bearcats, corsairs, P47, P39 : -)

Comment

The results of a "Drive Out And See" to Stead is truly a hit or miss.
            When I've been there, I have to take the drive. Something inside just pulls.
            But the suggestions above are really good, if the drive to Stead is not productive.
            Take a couple of sandwiches and some drinks. There's no concessions outside of that week in September.

TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
              It always cracked me up how Hoss and Little Joe would hop on their horses and ride from the Ponderosa to Virginia City just for a beer.
              I've often thought the same thing. I wonder how long it would take to ride a horse from the Ponderosa Ranch House to Virinia City............couple of days?

Comment

The one thing that has always surprised me in my travels through Nevada is the complete lack of Aviation Museums! Wasn't there a Air Racing museum in Reno at one point?

Someday there will be a museum in Carson City if these guys ever get going: http://www.cactusairforce.com/home.html
                Random Air Blog

Comment

Years ago at the Harrahs car museum there was a beautiful Ford Tri Motor and I believe a P-38 or F-5. and I think I remember a P-40 too.......probably other planes, but can't remember......that was in the late 70's when I visited there. Wonder what happened to those planes.
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                    Years ago at the Harrahs car museum there was a beautiful Ford Tri Motor and I believe a P-38 or F-5. and I think I remember a P-40 too.......probably other planes, but can't remember......that was in the late 70's when I visited there. Wonder what happened to those planes.
                    Brian
                    The Tri Motor went to Evergreen. The P-40 was restored by Tiger and crew before ending up at the Lone Star Flight Museum.

Comment

And the P-38 is Evergreens.
                      The auto museum is definitely worth seeing.
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Anybody ever find out what happened to the F-82 Twin Mustang that was at Harrah's back in the 70s?

One thing I find fun to do when there is nothing going on is to go out to the pylons. You can get to most of them on any given day. You can also drive out to Spanish Springs to the old Sky Ranch location. Without doing some research, it can be pretty tough to find anything though. It's more about looking around and knowing the history of where you're standing.
                        Last edited by Fence Sence; 05-15-2014, 01:45 PM.
                        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

The Aces are on a home game stretch. The ball park is top notch.
                          You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                            The Tri Motor went to Evergreen. The P-40 was restored by Tiger and crew before ending up at the Lone Star Flight Museum.
                            The Tri Motor is now with the Liberty Aviation Museum
                            Random Air Blog

Comment

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I've been to the auto museum a few times. Mrs. Race 29's grandfather used to build the boilers for the Stanley Steamers, so that's always a manditory stop! I'm going to try to take in as many of the suggestions as possible, I hope I get to see something out at Stead though! That's always the top priority!

Again, thank you everyone!

Race 29
                              Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Working...
                              X