Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Accident at Travis

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
    It's not a crime, but aren't we here in this community better than that?

It is one thing to speculate on an accident that occurs in front of thousands of people. Lots of immediate evidence, film, pictures, eyewitness accounts. Lots of folks in the peanut gallery.

On the other hand, I would say out of respect for those involved, to speculate on the cause of an accident before the facts are released, that was not witnessed by anyone except those involved, is a rude and needless exercise in gossip and hear-say.

We all know the tv and print news media doesn't know sh-t about airplanes. This is proven over and over with their poor factual reporting of aircraft accidents. For members of this community to start speculating and laying blame for the Buick's accident, based on initial news reports shows a fundamental lack of respect to those involved in tragedy.

R.I.P. Eddie. Thank you for all the years of entertainment, you shall be missed. Blue skies.
    Yep I'm trying to drive these points home on the other thread as well. Its not about censorship or pulling the we know something you don't. It's just about timing. Feel free to discuss it how ever you want, but maybe just not the right time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
      Yep I'm trying to drive these points home on the other thread as well. Its not about censorship or pulling the we know something you don't. It's just about timing. Feel free to discuss it how ever you want, but maybe just not the right time.
      I think someone said it in the other thread, but as air show fans and some of the smartest people when it comes to air shows and the like, as most of us go to air shows plenty of times throughout the year, I feel like discussing the situation and reasoning it out is not a bad idea to ensure we don't lose amazing pilots like Eddie, and those before him. Speculation has been made about the emergency vehicles being placed behind the crowd instead of front and center like Reno. Perfect point right there and as dedicated fans and spectators of the aviation world, WE can surely stress to airshow coordinators, the FAA (even though we don't always like to), and any other group through emails, phone calls, etc. that maybe the emergency responders do need to be placed in a more convenient location. Off of the video footage it's pretty obvious what happened, but I don't see why discussing the situation is a bad thing. It does no harm to the parties involved to give legitimately fueled thought into a situation. Do you think that one person in the NTSB comes out onto stage and says ok i know exactly what happened? Nope! Plenty of people ponder the cause and help determine exactly what happened and then make improvements to air shows based off of the situation. Hate all you want, but nobody got anywhere sitting around waiting for something to be said, the mind is a beautiful thing that thrives on pondering. Have a come back? Fine throw it at me I could care less, just speaking out loud here instead of taking the punches.
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
        I can think of no better tribute than this video by Evan. RIP Eddie

http://vimeo.com/m/42103375
        Not to hijack, but whatever happened to Evan? I hope he didn't grow up and find a girlfriend who doesn't bolt outside at the sound of a Merlin nearby. Always liked his posts.

Comment

Originally posted by tim View Post
          Not to hijack, but whatever happened to Evan? I hope he didn't grow up and find a girlfriend who doesn't bolt outside at the sound of a Merlin nearby. Always liked his posts.
          Hey guys,
          I'm really sorry I haven't been posting recently, but I've been super busy with schoolwork lately. I'm a sophomore in high school now but when school ends in about 5 weeks I'll be volunteering at the Hiller museum and working on my pilots license, if I can pay for it!

My dad and I weren't there when it happened, and we found out when our plane landed around 8:00 from Washington DC. As many of you know, we were really close with Eddie and it was through his generosity and big heart that I fell in love with aviation and the aviation community. Eddie was one of the best damn pilots I ever knew, and I can't think of anybody that won't miss him greatly. I'll be writing a nice memorial article very soon, but right now we're all still in shock.

Evan
          http://evanflys.com/

Comment

The NTSB is a very small lot of people. The accident of 2011 is a prime example. It was two guys that were in charge of itand those two guys are the two that had to come to the conclusion of what happened. It's not as big of a rodeo as one would think. As I've said here several times if you don't want emotional responses wait until the dust has settled a bit. That's all.

Comment

In response to GRNP51 and Wild Bill, the NTSB requested help from multiple "consultants" and took 16 months to tell the tale of Jimmy and the Ghost. It was subtle and indirect but professional, exacting and left no doubt as to why things went wrong. There was a clear pattern of deceit and indifference resulting in an a/c that should not have been "tested" in a race.
              Roger Bockrath of Davis recorded 2.5 minutes from impact to fire ignition. 2.5 additional minutes later the professional fire suppressors arrived. Why were the trucks behind the crowd? Why was Eddie not out of the machine?
              A seemingly understaffed NTSB will take the months and help from other pros to determine the inexplicable whys.
              Bockrath said "He should be in the hospital with second-degree burns and smoke inhalation. Instead, he's at the coroner's office". The fire was suppressed quickly but way too late.
              I'm still pissed at Jimmy and mad as hell about Eddie.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneauxman View Post
                In response to GRNP51 and Wild Bill, the NTSB requested help from multiple "consultants" and took 16 months to tell the tale of Jimmy and the Ghost. It was subtle and indirect but professional, exacting and left no doubt as to why things went wrong. There was a clear pattern of deceit and indifference resulting in an a/c that should not have been "tested" in a race.
                Roger Bockrath of Davis recorded 2.5 minutes from impact to fire ignition. 2.5 additional minutes later the professional fire suppressors arrived. Why were the trucks behind the crowd? Why was Eddie not out of the machine?
                A seemingly understaffed NTSB will take the months and help from other pros to determine the inexplicable whys.
                Bockrath said "He should be in the hospital with second-degree burns and smoke inhalation. Instead, he's at the coroner's office". The fire was suppressed quickly but way too late.
                I'm still pissed at Jimmy and mad as hell about Eddie.
                Thanks for the info, I agree with what Bockrath said, I heard that quote in one of the news deals and that's pretty much the way to put it. And about the "I'm still pissed at jimmy", I bet if the situation was not as sever and the ghost crashed without him in it he would be pretty pissed at himself for "testing" during a race. Thanks for the stuff Sneaux
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

This tragic loss reminds me of 1996 at Sun n Fun. Charlie Hillard had just completed his aerobatic display in a Sea Fury, on landing slowly veered off the runway and flipped upside down, almost in slow motion, and ended up suffocating due to a compressed sitting position while waiting for a sloooow response from emergency crews. The emergency response teams at Reno are first class, the Best in the business. Anyone who has raced there or seen them in action appreciates their skill. They are the standard that our airshow pilots deserve.

Comment

Short of naming the deceased/injured before the authorities have notified families, getting upset about people speculating or discussing events surrounding accidents is ridiculous.

Talking about it wont change what happened, for better or worse.

Let people process tragedy however they see fit.

Comment

Mr flyingjibus, did you say "ridiculous"? NOT talking about it is tantamount to allowing it to occur again by intractable stupidity. Of course you talk about it and change the stupid things to rational, systematic methods as any still living pilot would testify. Learn from events or repeat them.

Comment

Talking about the facts is how we learn how not to repeat it. Talking about what people think happened doesn't do dinky do.

A little German with one thumb always tells me. "Michael all that matters is the truth"?

Comment

<image001.jpg>
                          May 7, 2014

ANDREINI FUNERAL SERVICES SCHEDULED FOR MAY 13

Funeral services for ICAS member and air show performer Eddie Andreini will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Tuesday, May 13 at Our Lady of Pillar Catholic Church, 400 Church Street in Half Moon Bay, California 94019. Following funeral services, a luncheon will be held at the IDES Hall, 735 Main Street, also in Half Moon Bay.

Boss

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                            Talking about what people think happened doesn't do dinky do.
                            Except to help people process it. Why do so many fail to see that?

This issue and the holier than thou attitude of many here is beginning to make me not want to visit this site.

This is a place to discuss things. Not an Air race guru dating site. Save the pissing contests for facebook.

E.T.A.::

I am not calling you out specifically W.B.K. You are on my "Good" list. Just using your post as a vehicle...
                            Last edited by flyingjibus; 05-12-2014, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Thu, May 15, 2014

NTSB Issues Preliminary Report In Travis AFB Air Show Fatal Accident
                              Air Show Pilot Eddie Andreini Was Attempting A Ribbon-Cutting Maneuver
                              We marvel at their skill, and that may be why we are so shocked when something goes horribly wrong. The NTSB released its preliminary report from such a fatal accident that occurred May 4 at Travis AFB during the "Thunder Over Solano" open house involving air show pilot Eddie Andreini.

According to the report, at about 1359 Pacific daylight time, a Boeing E75 Stearman, N68828, was destroyed when it impacted runway 21R during an aerial demonstration flight at Travis Air Force Base (SUU), Fairfield, California. The commercial pilot/owner received fatal injuries. The exhibition flight was operated under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the flight.

The pilot was one of several civilian aerial demonstration pilots who performed at the two-day SUU "Thunder Over Solano" open house, which included both static (ground) and aerial (flight) displays. According to USAF and FAA information, Friday May 2 was the practice day, while the public event took place on Saturday and Sunday, May 3 and 4. The pilot flew two flight demonstration airplanes at the event, a North American P-51, and the accident airplane. All his flights preceding the accident flight were uneventful.

The accident occurred during a "ribbon-cut maneuver," whereby a ribbon was suspended transversely across the runway, between two poles held by ground crew personnel, and situated about 20 feet above the runway. The planned maneuver consisted of a total of three passes. The first two passes were to be conducted with the airplane upright, and were not planned to contact the ribbon. The final pass was to be conducted inverted, and the airplane would cut the ribbon with its vertical stabilizer. The first two passes were successful, but on the third (inverted, ribbon-cut) pass, the airplane was too high, and did not cut the ribbon. The pilot came around for a fourth pass, and rolled the airplane inverted after aligning with the runway. The airplane contacted the runway prior to reaching the ribbon, slid inverted between the ground crew personnel holding the poles, and came to a stop a few hundred feet beyond them.

Ground scars consisted of rudder/ vertical stabilizer ("tail") and upper wing contact (metal and wood scrapes, and paint transfer) with the runway, as well as propeller "slash marks" approximately perpendicular to the direction of travel. Review of image and ground scar data indicated that the airplane first contacted the runway with its right wing, followed by the tail, the left wing, and then the propeller.

The upper outboard right wing initial scar was followed about 7 feet later by the tail strike, and then a few feet later by the upper left wing. The initial tail strike was located about 45 feet right (northeast) of the runway centerline, about 380 feet beyond the runway threshold. The initial direction of travel was aligned approximately 5 degrees to the right (divergent from) the runway axis. The propeller slash marks began about 100 feet beyond the initial tail strike, and continued to the final resting location of the airplane. The slash marks described an arc, which curved to the left, and which resulted in the airplane coming to rest near the left (southwest) edge of the runway, on a magnetic heading of about 140 degrees. The airplane slid a total distance of about 740 feet.

Review of still and moving images indicated that fire became visible just before the airplane came to a stop, and that the fire patterns were consistent with a pool fire of spilled fuel. Within about 50 seconds, the fire encompassed most of the right (downwind) side of the airplane. USAF rescue and firefighting vehicles and personnel arrived at the airplane about 3 to 4 minutes after the accident, and extinguished the fire.

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) information indicated that the airplane was manufactured in 1944, and was first registered to the pilot in 1982. The airplane was equipped with a Pratt & Whitney R-985 series engine. The fuselage and empennage consisted of a synthetic-fabric covered steel tube structure, while the wings were primarily wood structure covered with the same type of fabric. The 47-gallon fuel tank was mounted in the center section of the upper wing, just forward of the cockpit.

The cockpit was enclosed by a canopy, which consisted of a metal frame and plastic transparencies. The longitudinal section of the canopy consisted of one fixed section (right side) and two movable sections (top and left side). The top section was longitudinally hinged to the fixed right section and the movable left section, and the forward and aft bottom corners of the left section rode in transverse tracks at the forward and aft ends of the cockpit. That design allowed cockpit entry and egress by operating the top and left canopy sections in a manner similar to a bi-fold door; which required clearance above the canopy for the canopy to be opened.

Preliminary examination of the wreckage indicated that most of the fabric covering on the fuselage was damaged or consumed by fire. The right wing and cockpit furnishings were almost completely consumed by fire, as were some of the aluminum flight control tubes. The left wing and rudder /vertical stabilizer sustained impact deformation, but the cockpit occupiable volume was not compromised by deformation of any surrounding structure.

According to FAA information, the pilot held single- and multi-engine airplane, and instrument airplane ratings, and was authorized to fly several experimental airplanes. His most recent FAA second class medical certificate was issued in June 2013.

The SUU 1358 automated weather observation included wind from 240 degrees at 15 knots gusting to 21, visibility 10 miles, few clouds at 18,000 feet, temperature 22 degrees C, dew point 12 degrees C, and an altimeter setting of 29.99 inches of mercury.
                              Mystical Power

Comment

Note the response time and cockpit structual report. Sad.
                                Mystical Power

Comment

Working...
                                X