Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    We (Electric Falcon) are planning for a 5 minute race plus a safety buffer for cooldown and landing. Already got the motor turning and working through battery pack design.
    This will be a conversion for Scott Holmes' #9 "Outlaw"
    What size battery do the rules allow ?
    Is the power of the motor restricted ?

I will follow your progress with interest.

The rules are pretty wide open at this stage. This is good because you want as many different approaches, companies, and strategies as possible when starting something new like this. We currently have a max allowable continuous power of 150kW from the battery. So you do the math of 150kW for 5 laps (appx 5 minutes) that gives you the battery size and then you add in margin for safety and cool down and landing.

All electric motors are fair game. We can only have 1 prop or 2 coaxial props so no designs like the X-57 but that's subject to change in the future.

We are going to cram the plane full of batteries and we are either going to run out of real estate in the cowling or we are going to hit max gross weight, whichever we encounter first. Then the next challenge is keeping everything cool. Same challenge as all other air racing, just a different twist.
    "young" Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    The rules are pretty wide open at this stage. This is good because you want as many different approaches, companies, and strategies as possible when starting something new like this. We currently have a max allowable continuous power of 150kW from the battery. So you do the math of 150kW for 5 laps (appx 5 minutes) that gives you the battery size and then you add in margin for safety and cool down and landing.

All electric motors are fair game. We can only have 1 prop or 2 coaxial props so no designs like the X-57 but that's subject to change in the future.

We are going to cram the plane full of batteries and we are either going to run out of real estate in the cowling or we are going to hit max gross weight, whichever we encounter first. Then the next challenge is keeping everything cool. Same challenge as all other air racing, just a different twist.
    Thanks that was very informative.
    Will there be other races of more/less than 5 laps in the early stage ?

https://www.engineering.com/Advanced...FQtadTLjLYY2-I

"The advanced superconducting motor experimental demonstrator (ASuMED), funded by the European Union, is developing a new fully superconducting motor with a power-to-weight ratio of 20kW/kg and an efficiency thatís better than 99 percent"

"The 1-megawatt motor is only to demonstrate that the superconducting technology works in principle, and we can scale it up if necessary to 10 megawatts or more"

FYI - here's a recent article of particular interest.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...2.cms?from=mdr

"White Lightning" has contra-rotating propellers and can attain speeds of 300 mph.

There is a photo of Thom in Hot Stuff

-Bob
    Last edited by Triple-B; 11-20-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    Triple-B

Oh my gosh this week has been special....

Electric Falcon/Outlaw is officially listed on the website now.
    https://airracee.com/profiles/

Jeff went to Dubai with the intent of making headlines, raising interest, and hopefully connecting the announced teams with sponsors. So far so good on the first two, and he has Airbus on board so that partly satisfies the last one as well.

Lots of internet engineers talking about how stupid or impossible this is...I can't decide whether or not to laugh at them or roll my eyes. Don't get me wrong this isn't easy. I've seen the math for Race#9 and it's close on just about everything (weight, flight time, CG, safety, cooling). But the thing is this is no different than going air racing with a new IC engine.

We have a very knowledgeable, young (all under 35 I think), and eager team that is loving the design process. We don't have all the answers, but if we stay on schedule, we will in about a year.

Nice interview with Scott
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...lley-1.5365770

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...tVWo0eIUs0e0Ow
    Last edited by CubersWrist; 11-24-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    "young" Thomas

Big update this weekend.
    Scott laser scanned Race #9 last weekend. We now have a full 3D model we can use to design and size battery compartments, motor mounts, cooling systems etc. This is very similar to what we did on Race #30
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191126_Race9 stitched.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	24513 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191126_Race9 isolated.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	24514
    Last edited by CubersWrist; 12-01-2019 at 09:29 AM.
    "young" Thomas