Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

Originally posted by gp70442 View Post
    Interesting choice of airframes. Is this the single seater NXT that was supposed to get a Trace engine, then later a 12 cyl diesel, but was never completed?

Makes me think they chose this airframe so that
    1) they have room for more engine in future and
    2) a well tested airframe would greatly reduce overall development time.

GP
    If that’s not an NXT, I’ll eat my hat.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Your hat is safe.....So is your tummy..... NXT.

Jon and Tricia

Comment

New article about Outlaw Air Racing.

After Scott 3D scanned the airplane I reached out to Point Fuse to convert all the laser points to a CAD format.
        Now we can check the sizing and fit of our motor, batteries, and coolant tanks, etc. This has already been amazingly valuable for the team.
        "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

For the record, electric powerplants are not called engines, they are motors.

'71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

I hope these motors sound better than my outside Heat Pump.
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
              I hope these motors sound better than my outside Heat Pump.
              One can hope, but it doesn't matter. People will learn to love or hate the sound for what it is. And if they hate it then hopefully they can "see" past it and admire the technical marvels that are going to be required to make this happen.

We will have bigger blades and lower RPM, so it will be a deeper version of this
              "young" Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                One can hope, but it doesn't matter. People will learn to love or hate the sound for what it is. And if they hate it then hopefully they can "see" past it and admire the technical marvels that are going to be required to make this happen.

We will have bigger blades and lower RPM, so it will be a deeper version of this
                Big blades and low RPM, I remember. I suppose once you witnessed it in person at full tilt not much really compares.

Comment

Originally posted by gp70442 View Post
                  Interesting choice of airframes. Is this the single seater NXT that was supposed to get a Trace engine, then later a 12 cyl diesel, but was never completed?

Makes me think they chose this airframe so that
                  1) they have room for more engine in future and
                  2) a well tested airframe would greatly reduce overall development time.

GP
                  Yeah, that is the "Trace" air frame.

Comment

The team is doing some destructive testing to get a better understanding of thermal runaway.

Basically the battery doesn’t just catch fire, it exploded

In this test we intentionally overcharged it until something happened. During a flight the battery management system will be geared toward detecting if and when thermal runaway begins, which we are already capable of detecting. As soon as that alert trips, it’s race over and land as quickly as possible.
                    "young" Thomas

Comment

• Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

Damn. That’s ugly.
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Not much different than a Merlin/Radial blowing at race power?
                        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                          Not much different than a Merlin/Radial blowing at race power?
                          I think it's worse. This is more like cutting and igniting a fuel line.
                          I think this is a better comparison because a single battery or a little bit of fuel igniting is bad, but causing a chain reaction ot ignite the rest of the batteries/fuel gets really bad really fast.
                          "young" Thomas

Comment

You are correct that battery fires are a major problem, and I have decided the better solution is to follow the research currently making great progress in the development of hydrogen-boron fusion technology.

"We are sidestepping all of the scientific challenges that have held fusion energy back for more than half a century," says the director of an Australian company that claims its hydrogen-boron fusion technology is already working a billion times better than expected.

This is a possible future energy source that could be carried in the aircraft. The Boron proton reaction does not need turbines and generators to make electricity , so potentially it could be quite light. It also does not put out much dangerous radiation so heavy shielding is not required. Probably still at least 10 years away before it could be used, but it is a very promising technology that will remove the need for dangerous batteries in the aircraft while offering almost unlimited range.

In the short term it would be great for events like the Reno Air Races to develop electric motors and control electronics capable of handling the power relevant for use in the airline business. I think it is time to have an unlimited class for electrics, even if only one lap to push this side of the design, allowing batteries to progress as well as alternatives such as fusion.
                            Last edited by Colbourne; 02-27-2020, 06:51 PM.

Comment

I think it is time to have an unlimited class for electrics, even if only one lap to push this side of the design, allowing batteries to progress as well as alternatives such as fusion.
                              Sounds like what you are proposing is an all out speed attempt. A one lap race is basically that.

I'm not going to lay awake at night waiting for fusion. Just sayin'

Comment

Answer to thread title..............NO !!

Comment

Working...
                                X