Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

And yeah then air racing will be as exciting as the Hydro plane racing is now. Just not the same watching a fuel guzzling vacuum cleaner powered boat. In the old Recip days I never missed watching the Hydro races on Lake Washington. Now I could care less. And that is the problem with any motor sports they are trying to eliminate the engineering aspect and make it similar to ball sports, like the indy with one engine supplier so as to make that aspect of the race unimportant and put all the attention on the person throwing the ball so to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaustgases View Post
    And yeah then air racing will be as exciting as the Hydro plane racing is now. Just not the same watching a fuel guzzling vacuum cleaner powered boat. In the old Recip days I never missed watching the Hydro races on Lake Washington. Now I could care less. And that is the problem with any motor sports they are trying to eliminate the engineering aspect and make it similar to ball sports, like the indy with one engine supplier so as to make that aspect of the race unimportant and put all the attention on the person throwing the ball so to say.

Exactly. Electric airplanes would be like watching paint dry. We need things that excite people, not put them to sleep.

So electric planes have noiseless props?

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    Exactly. Electric airplanes would be like watching paint dry. We need things that excite people, not put them to sleep.
    So if everything is exactly the same, same planes, same course, same speeds, same fans, everything identical except the power plants being electric, it would be like watching paint dry? I don't think it would be. I also don't think the Unlimited Hydroplane comparison is fair either. You can't hear the prop of a boat. We are also comparing jet engines to electric engines. Last I checked they are quite different.

If those of you who are so against electric power don't like them because they don't make the right noise, what do you suggest as an alternative power source? Christ, we'll all be dead someday and the world will move forward. It's called evolution. Without it, there would be no internal combustion. Where would your precious ears be then?

Ok, that's a bit harsh. Maybe they could stick some big playing cards between the rotors and stators.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Why don't they somehow with today's technology have a system that dubs in the sounds of a P&W & or a Merlin that comes on over the sound of the electric motors? What a show with electric motors producing the sounds of 3800/4000 HP race engines.
    Lockheed Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    Why don't they somehow with today's technology have a system that dubs in the sounds of a P&W & or a Merlin that comes on over the sound of the electric motors? What a show with electric motors producing the sounds of 3800/4000 HP race engines.
    No fake sounds please.

F1 car racing has been going through the same complaints because the turbo cars are quiet, but it is a sport so the cars have to attempt to win rather than sound good in my opinion.
    I dont think a 5000hp electric plane would be that quiet anyway.
    I dont see this as a replacement to ic but hopefully they will be competing in the same class so the spectators will learn to recognise the aircraft by the sounds.

"American Superconductor's prototype 5,000-hp HTS motor is about the size of a household refrigerator. It is as little as half the size and weight of a conventional 5,000-hp motor. Its net electrical losses, including losses associated with cryogenic cooling of the HTS wires, are up to half the electrical losses of a conventional motor.

Motors over 1,000 hp use about 25% of all electric power generated in the United States. The Department of Energy estimates that HTS motors could save billions of dollars per year."

Quote Originally Posted by Reno_Steve View Post
    "American Superconductor's prototype 5,000-hp HTS motor is about the size of a household refrigerator. It is as little as half the size and weight of a conventional 5,000-hp motor. Its net electrical losses, including losses associated with cryogenic cooling of the HTS wires, are up to half the electrical losses of a conventional motor.

Motors over 1,000 hp use about 25% of all electric power generated in the United States. The Department of Energy estimates that HTS motors could save billions of dollars per year."
    That motor is designed for diesel electric applications like ships and locomotives. A battery bank large enough to power it for 20 minutes would be larger and heavier than Dreadnought.

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    That motor is designed for diesel electric applications like ships and locomotives. A battery bank large enough to power it for 20 minutes would be larger and heavier than Dreadnought.
    Yup. It'll never change either. Motors nor batteries will never get smaller or more powerful so, right, we should never try.

C'mon man. The world, as we have discovered, is not flat. I don't understand how a race fan can be against racing anything. I can't speak for you but for me, as a human, racing, in all its forms, is by far my favorite form of competition. Watching paint dry is not exciting. However, if two painters each paint two things directly next to each other, one with one type of paint and the other with a supposedly faster drying type of paint and that second painter starts talking **** about how much faster his paint dries, well then things just got much more interesting and I wanna know who wins.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

To me we should try racing electric planes as soon as possible. The fun is watching lap times improve each year, through better designs , pilots and technology.
    If we wait too long the electric planes will start at a level equal to the current crop of unlimited racers and really have no where to improve as the limits will be aerodynamic limits on propellers and airframes.

The IOM TT example I quoted showed how much progress has been made with the bikes in just a few years , equaling the performance improvements of ic bikes in 70 years.

The rules should dictate a maximum battery weight (possibly with several classes), so that the airframes are not compromised to fit too large a battery at the expense of safety. I feel 1000kg would be a sensible maximum weight for the battery providing an average of about 1000hp for around 20 minutes with current LIPO batteries. This would cost approx $100,000 I would expect.

"March 2015: Prototype EMRAX 348 is coming (1200 Nm /350 kW at 3000 RPM, weight 42 kg, diameter 348 mm, length 107 mm, IP65). First prototype will be ready for testing in next few months. Also we are preparing documentation for EMRAX 348T, which can deliver power 600 kW, torque 2400 Nm, weight 70 kg, dimensions: dia 348 mm length 170 mm".

http://nextbigfuture.com/2015/04/sie...-power-to.html

N.B. Even though the average is only 1000hp , we could see power reaching 10,000hp for short bursts. This would mean that we could have exhibition one lap speeds well above current record speeds. Or we could just watch paint dry if that is what you prefer.
    Last edited by Reno_Steve; 12-22-2015 at 04:11 AM.