Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

This article gives an idea how quick electric bikes are improving at the IOM TT. The current record for ic bikes is 132.701mph. The 2014 races take place at the end of
    June.
    http://www.iomtt.com/TT-Info/Qualify...-Schedule.aspx

Electric
    =========
    2009 87.0 mph
    2010 96.8 mph
    2011 99.6 mph
    2012 104.0 mph
    2013 109.7 mph
    2014 117.366mph
    2015 119.279mph
    IC engine
    ===========
    1926 70mph
    1937 90mph
    1953 93.33mph
    1957 100mph
    1967 108.77mph
    1976 112.27mph
    1980 115mph
    1989 121.34 mph
    2013 131.671mph
    2014 131.668mph
    2015 132.701mph

http://www.gizmag.com/electric-cars-...35929-90223594

"Electric cars have taken out the top two spots at the 2015 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, with Rhys Millen's eO PP03 beating Nobuhiro "Monster" Tajima's Tajima Rimac E-Runner Concept_One to become the first ever all-electric winner of the Race to the Clouds"

His time of 9:07.22 is still a lot slower than Frenchman Sebastien Loeb's Peugeot 208 race record time of 8:13.878 set in 2013.
    Last edited by Reno_Steve; 06-29-2015 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    I think an electric class is a great idea! I doubt they could finish a race. Maybe instead it would be more exhibition oriented and they would only fly a limited number of laps
    That was the way the jet class started out and now we're stuck with stinking diesel exhaust fumes and no props for several races. Many if not most of us go to Reno for the BIG piston engines, more speed and props. NOT more classes of planes. As said before many times when those are gone then so are we and likely the Races.

I'll bet a fast electric would have a pretty awesome sound to it- certainly better than the jets

Next we will have operators in a windowless concrete blockhouse flying drone races. How exciting can you get? We will be able to text each other while watching them from afar. No sounds no talk. Wow. I'm sure glad I got to see real races & being there.
    Lockheed Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    Next we will have operators in a windowless concrete blockhouse flying drone races. How exciting can you get? We will be able to text each other while watching them from afar. No sounds no talk. Wow. I'm sure glad I got to see real races & being there.

Sounds like my experience last year... I watched the Saturday Unlimited Gold on my phone while sitting in my kitchen. Later I read on the internet that the guy that won wasn't the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by N22252 View Post
    Sounds like my experience last year... I watched the Saturday Unlimited Gold on my phone while sitting in my kitchen. Later I read on the internet that the guy that won wasn't the winner.
    Well the cell phone was your choice and I assume that was because you couldn't be there for some reason. Better than nothing I assume or you wouldn't have watched. As for the first place airplane not winning, well that has nothing to do with the situation and has happened a lot over the years. Pylon cuts, whatever.

Don't understand the whining.

The races will never be what they once were. That's life. If you don't like it, don't go.
    The unlimited class has been dying a slow death for many years now although not many are willing to admit it. We all know the reasons. Sport class is getting more exciting every year though.

There are a couple new generations out there that embrace new technology. One day they may want to watch electric airplanes competing because they probably don't even know what a P-51 is and cannot relate.

GP

Quote Originally Posted by gp70442 View Post
    Well the cell phone was your choice and I assume that was because you couldn't be there for some reason. Better than nothing I assume or you wouldn't have watched. As for the first place airplane not winning, well that has nothing to do with the situation and has happened a lot over the years. Pylon cuts, whatever.

Don't understand the whining.

The races will never be what they once were. That's life. If you don't like it, don't go.
    The unlimited class has been dying a slow death for many years now although not many are willing to admit it. We all know the reasons. Sport class is getting more exciting every year though.

There are a couple new generations out there that embrace new technology. One day they may want to watch electric airplanes competing because they probably don't even know what a P-51 is and cannot relate.

GP
    The choice is ours. We can keep watching the war birds as they become more valuable and are never allowed to reach their true potential again, or start watching new aircraft that are purpose built to race.
    It is like the difference between going to a historical car race event or the latest Le Mans series or F1.
    We probably all think that the races were better in the olden days, but we have to also think about the future.
    You can keep telling your children that it used to be better, but when there are no warbirds left, do we just say that air racing is now dead. Keep the unlimited class going in its current form as long as possible but also we should have an open propelller class with electrics , possibly turbo props and what ever people can put together using existing ic engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    If these drones were Mustangs and Bearcats would you have any complaints. The racing could be faster , closer to the ground and with much tighter racing due to no danger of pilot injuries. To the casual fan there would be no difference as they cant see the pilots clearly anyway. The pilot and engineering skill is still there, although for the pilot the experience would not be as complete (although this is debatable as I feel more of a speed element flying RC than from the cockpit).