Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

I have no doubt a magnetic motor could out do a recip. Just like a turbine can. But that is all too easy, it is like cheating.
    Just like say, that in the future there are vehicles that travel at or close to light speed. Since they all do it where is the race?
    Its just more fun for the people doing the engineering and the spectators to see and hear something that is "OLD" doing what it shouldn't. That is the main reason the other prime movers are pretty much Garbage when it comes to motor sports. What is fun? It is when you see an old Allison hydro that's beating the turbines, that is a race worth watching.
    Unless people into the electric / magnet motor camp get their heads out of the box that prime mover will never replace mineral fuel burning engines, because batteries are not a good power source, it just takes too many. And they always seem to need a good old heat engine to keep the batteries charged.

Comment

Originally posted by Exhaustgases View Post
      What is fun? It is when you see an old Allison hydro that's beating the turbines, that is a race worth watching.
      As much as I agree with you, that doesn't necessarily make it so. Are you really suggesting that fun cannot be had any other way? I kinda doubt it but, that is how that post comes across to me. No one is saying that they want to replace all air racing engines with electric motors. Some of us would just like to see even more racing. Hell, if I had my druthers, I would do away with every single airshow act at the NCAR and just have more racing. If I could have more classes of racers, I could never see another snap roll and be perfectly happy.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

As for me I like the sound & smell of the big P&Ws,Merlins & Griffons but if they want their own class let them race electrics, drones & even sani-huts. During those times I can walk the pits,visit vendors or have a cold one. Just don't replace what a lot of us come to see,real race planes.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

My ideal would be to see the electrics race with the unlimiteds , at least while they have comparable performance. It will become a matter of pride for the ic planes to beat the electrics which may lead to better performance in both classes.

As we would expect the electrics to be slower initially they would probably start off with their own races, but I cant see many people complaining if they were allowed to compete in the unlimited class, when they are able to qualify at realistic speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
            Sounds like my experience last year... I watched the Saturday Unlimited Gold on my phone while sitting in my kitchen. Later I read on the internet that the guy that won wasn't the winner.
            Nailed it.

Comment

DeltaWing Technology Group and DHX Electric Machines, both based in Georgia in the US, are collaborating to build small, lightweight electric motors for automotive applications. The companies claim their electric motors are 75 percent smaller than equivalent-output motors for automotive…

"DeltaWing and DHX to shrink electric vehicle motors without compromising power"

Comment

Siemens has just announced that an electric aerobatic plane powered by its latest motor has nabbed two world speed records. The Extra 330LE aircraft is now the fastest e-plane under 1,000 kg, and also – after a few mods – the quickest above 1,000 kg, too. The electric test plane also became the…

"Before the end of last year, the flying test bed had opened a new page in the record books by setting a new world climb record, winging its way up to 3,000 meters (9.840 ft) in 4 minutes and 22 seconds – a climb velocity of 11.5 meters per second."

"On March 23, at the Dinslaken Schwarze Heide airfield in Germany, the Extra 330LE managed to top out at 337.5 km/h (209.7 mph) during its 3 km (1.8 mi) straight line flight, 13.48 km/h faster than the previous record set in 2013. The new record has been officially recognized by the World Air Sports Federation (in the category "Electric airplanes with a take-off weight less than 1,000 kg")."

"The e-plane also clocked a new world record in the "above 1,000 kg" category with a modified configuration, achieving a top speed of 342.86 km/h (213 mph)."

Comment

...for the sake of 'Ready Kilowatt', let it GO!
                  Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Go to 3:30 for prop sound and very little engine sound.

Electric would likely sound similar with possibly a crazy screech at those horsepower levels.

(English version below) "AXALP & MORE" es el título de un especial de videos y fotografías (13 videos y 13 galerías de fotos) sobre el festival aéreo de Axal...

Comment

The main reason I would like an electric class, is that we should see huge improvements in performance each year.

This will make it the only real unlimited racing class, as in the other classes the valuable aircraft and shortage of original parts make it more of a show case of museum aircraft. The last true unlimited races probably took part in the 1990's. From then on the top aircraft were detuned to prolong their lives.
                      I like , I assume all of you, love the sound and sight of the unlimiteds and would never want them to disappear from racing but we need to do something, otherwise we will never see mass fields of high performance aircraft again pushing the limits each year.

Comment

I know this is electric airplane posting, but what about a Turbine Class while were at it.

Comment

"A partnership led by Rolls-Royce is building an all-electric aircraft that may smash into the record books with a top speed of over 300 mph (480 km/h) – beating the previous record of 210 mph (338 km/h) set in 2017 by Siemens."

Comment

Electroflight and YASA have been working on this for a good while. Cool to see a big company like Rolls Royce getting into the mix.
                            This remarkable project is still in its early stages but is clearly something we'll be following on Fully Charged.A fully electric 300+mph racing plane.Suppo...

Racing is valuable as an R&D testbed. Air Race E could kick off a new Thomson-style era of air racing if they play their cards right. If you can pit different electric motor and battery manufacturers against each other, you have created a lot of sponsorship opportunities for race teams and the race event as a whole.
                            "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

The magni500 all-electric motor 750hp

The 750-horsepower magni500 all-electric motor being tested on Australia's Gold Coast

This will give you an idea of how the future will sound.

Driven by advances in propulsion technology and the lofty ambitions of aircraft builders around the world, electric aviation is becoming an increasingly viable part of our transport future. With a few notable customers already under its belt, MagniX stands to play a real role in these formative…

Comment

Quieter aircraft will be great for doing away with all the silly noise complaints around airports.

But for racing I know there's always a desire for particular sounds. Well if it's a dealbreaker for people, I'm willing to sacrifice some weight and battery capacity so I can power a speaker to make V12 or Radial engine sounds.
                                Last edited by CubersWrist; 10-10-2019, 09:27 AM.
                                "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X