Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 68

Thread: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Santa Rosa, California
    Posts
    239

    Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

    I would have to agree that an all electric racing class would not only be good for Reno but the electric industry as well.

    This year, the first fully electric car racing series will debut in cities around the globe. It will be called the the Formula E Series. I have heard that ten teams will be competing. There is a french company building the cars. They are using two McLaren motor generators units (the same ones used in the McLaren P-1 Hybrid.

    The car will have a 200 kilowatt battery system and they claim it will be able to race for an hour. But that also takes in the consideration the cars braking system can capture energy otherwise lost during the braking process. You won't be able to gain any energy by braking in an aircraft but I think the technology is there now and you should be able to keep the airplane aloft for at least 30 minutes obtaining speeds of 100 to 150 mph and with a boost control you should easily be able to double that speed but not for long inter vaults.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Key Biscayne
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    125

    Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

    Yes... Solar only, mid-night event...The silence will be deafening!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reno_Steve View Post
    It is always fun watching new technology pushing the envelope, so I think it is about time Reno introduced an electric class.
    Initially they will be slow but I reckon within a few years they will be lapping at 400mph. In ten years they should beat the unlimiteds.
    I have been following the Isle of Man TT races for motorcycles and they now have an electric class. Each year they lap at a higher average speed by about 7mph.

    Initially the class should be as free from rules (other than for safety) as possible but to keep the cost down it would be sensible to later have a second limited class with a limit on the mass of either the aircraft or battery.

    Maybe using a Tesla car battery would be possible.
    (Tow your aircraft to the track, put the battery from your car in after re-charging , race and then after the races and a nights charging drive home).

    In RC models electric is easily competitive with ic power over cars, boats and aircraft. At pikes peak the electric bikes beat the ic bikes and in the cars they came 5th.
    Last edited by Race#21; 05-07-2014 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    Mystical Power

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,580

    Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

    Quote Originally Posted by Race#21 View Post
    Yes... Solar only, mid-night event...The silence will be deafening!
    I'm grinning deeply right now Tom.. Do you remember an evening at the joint Mystical Power/2 of Hearts slash ALL T6 party during the 09-11-2001 stand down; quite a party actually! We were talking about your desire to compete, I believe we discussed driving a bunch of vehicles out around the course using our lights as guides.. just a bunch of late night revelry, to be sure but...

    I miss the old times!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

  5. #25

    Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

    Some more information on the Airbus E-Fan.
    "With two 65-kilogram lithium battery packs hidden in its wings, each driving a 30-kilowatt electric motor, the E-Fan cruises at 185 kilometres per hour and flies for an hour."

    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.U2saNqIkS6I

  6. #26

    Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

    Quote Originally Posted by Airrace7 View Post
    I would have to agree that an all electric racing class would not only be good for Reno but the electric industry as well.

    This year, the first fully electric car racing series will debut in cities around the globe. It will be called the the Formula E Series. I have heard that ten teams will be competing. There is a french company building the cars. They are using two McLaren motor generators units (the same ones used in the McLaren P-1 Hybrid.

    The car will have a 200 kilowatt battery system and they claim it will be able to race for an hour. But that also takes in the consideration the cars braking system can capture energy otherwise lost during the braking process. You won't be able to gain any energy by braking in an aircraft but I think the technology is there now and you should be able to keep the airplane aloft for at least 30 minutes obtaining speeds of 100 to 150 mph and with a boost control you should easily be able to double that speed but not for long inter vaults.
    Remember that a Nissan Leaf battery at 24kWh weighs over 600lbs and the gas to make a C-150 go 115mph for 30 minutes weighs less than 20lbs

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,580

    Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

    Food for thought.. http://evworld.com/focus.cfm?cid=219 couldn't find a publish date...
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

  8. #28

    Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

    http://www.wired.com/2013/06/2013-isle-of-man-tt-zero/

    This article gives an idea how quick electric bikes are improving at the IOM TT. The current record for ic bikes is 131.671mph. The 2014 races take place at the end of
    June.
    http://www.iomtt.com/TT-Info/Qualify...-Schedule.aspx

    Electric
    =========
    2009 87.0 mph
    2010 96.8 mph
    2011 99.6 mph
    2012 104.0 mph
    2013 109.7 mph

    IC engine
    ===========
    1926 70mph
    1937 90mph
    1953 93.33mph
    1957 100mph
    1967 108.77mph
    1976 112.27mph
    1980 115mph
    1989 121.34 mph
    2013 131.671mph

  9. #29

    Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

    Quote Originally Posted by Reno_Steve View Post
    http://www.wired.com/2013/06/2013-isle-of-man-tt-zero/

    This article gives an idea how quick electric bikes are improving at the IOM TT. The current record for ic bikes is 131.671mph. The 2014 races take place at the end of
    June.
    http://www.iomtt.com/TT-Info/Qualify...-Schedule.aspx

    Electric
    =========
    2009 87.0 mph
    2010 96.8 mph
    2011 99.6 mph
    2012 104.0 mph
    2013 109.7 mph

    IC engine
    ===========
    1926 70mph
    1937 90mph
    1953 93.33mph
    1957 100mph
    1967 108.77mph
    1976 112.27mph
    1980 115mph
    1989 121.34 mph
    2013 131.671mph
    This year (2014) the electrics again made great progress, achieving 117mph average lap speed. The petrols 132.298 mph.
    It would be nice to see the electric plane class starting sson so we can also watch the improvements each year.Otherwise they will just come in at 500mph with little room for improvement over the years.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •