Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

You have that thing up front that spins already. Why can't you use that to recover some or all of the energy used and recharge the batteries while in flight? Seems to me the prop would be spinning fast enough a generator could produce enough recoverable energy to sustain flight indefinitely.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee View Post
      You have that thing up front that spins already. Why can't you use that to recover some or all of the energy used and recharge the batteries while in flight? Seems to me the prop would be spinning fast enough a generator could produce enough recoverable energy to sustain flight indefinitely.
      This would work for a soaring glider using thermals or ridge lift to sustain height but would be of no use while racing.

Comment

Originally posted by Reno_Steve View Post
        It is always fun watching new technology pushing the envelope, so I think it is about time Reno introduced an electric class.
        Initially they will be slow but I reckon within a few years they will be lapping at 400mph. In ten years they should beat the unlimiteds.
        I have been following the Isle of Man TT races for motorcycles and they now have an electric class. Each year they lap at a higher average speed by about 7mph.

Initially the class should be as free from rules (other than for safety) as possible but to keep the cost down it would be sensible to later have a second limited class with a limit on the mass of either the aircraft or battery.

Maybe using a Tesla car battery would be possible.
        (Tow your aircraft to the track, put the battery from your car in after re-charging , race and then after the races and a nights charging drive home).

In RC models electric is easily competitive with ic power over cars, boats and aircraft. At pikes peak the electric bikes beat the ic bikes and in the cars they came 5th.
        Sorry, I don't see an electric powered racing class any time in the near future. There is very little commercial benefit to it. Electrics don't scale very well and batteries are extremely heavy compared to gasoline. This is less of an issue in a car or a motorcycle but when you have to drag it off the ground it changes things. Take a look at the size of the batteries required in this vehicle. http://blog.buckeyebullet.com
        I also don't see it as any kind of crowd pleaser that ads excitement to an event, and this is needed more than anything right now at Reno.

Comment

Originally posted by Snidely View Post
          Maybe Turbo Electric. Leave the batteries, install a Capstone turbine/generator and an electric motor. Run on kerosene. gives you control of the cg. Call it an O-220v.

Snidely
          I like this idea because it would allow testing and research of electric motors under the rigors of a racing environment wuile at the same time still allowing for a longer run time than with batteries. At the same time it also sounds heavy and expensive.
          Random Air Blog

Comment

I dont see this as replacing unlimiteds but as an extra race with the great chance of setting new records this should be of interest to the fans as it is something new and different.

It is a shame to see this new technology evolving but not visible at Reno. I thought one of the purposes of racing was to push technology.
            Last edited by Reno_Steve; 05-03-2014, 11:06 PM.

Comment

I would have to agree that an all electric racing class would not only be good for Reno but the electric industry as well.

This year, the first fully electric car racing series will debut in cities around the globe. It will be called the the Formula E Series. I have heard that ten teams will be competing. There is a french company building the cars. They are using two McLaren motor generators units (the same ones used in the McLaren P-1 Hybrid.

The car will have a 200 kilowatt battery system and they claim it will be able to race for an hour. But that also takes in the consideration the cars braking system can capture energy otherwise lost during the braking process. You won't be able to gain any energy by braking in an aircraft but I think the technology is there now and you should be able to keep the airplane aloft for at least 30 minutes obtaining speeds of 100 to 150 mph and with a boost control you should easily be able to double that speed but not for long inter vaults.

Comment

Shot 100% on the HD HERO3® camera from ‪http://GoPro.com.Nobuhiro 'Monster' Tajima returns to the 91st Pikes Peak International Hill Climb with his E-Runner ...

Comment

Yes... Solar only, mid-night event...The silence will be deafening!
                  It is always fun watching new technology pushing the envelope, so I think it is about time Reno introduced an electric class.
                  Initially they will be slow but I reckon within a few years they will be lapping at 400mph. In ten years they should beat the unlimiteds.
                  I have been following the Isle of Man TT races for motorcycles and they now have an electric class. Each year they lap at a higher average speed by about 7mph.

Initially the class should be as free from rules (other than for safety) as possible but to keep the cost down it would be sensible to later have a second limited class with a limit on the mass of either the aircraft or battery.

Maybe using a Tesla car battery would be possible.
                  (Tow your aircraft to the track, put the battery from your car in after re-charging , race and then after the races and a nights charging drive home).

In RC models electric is easily competitive with ic power over cars, boats and aircraft. At pikes peak the electric bikes beat the ic bikes and in the cars they came 5th.
                  Last edited by Race#21; 05-07-2014, 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling
                  Mystical Power

Comment

Originally posted by Race#21 View Post
                    Yes... Solar only, mid-night event...The silence will be deafening!
                    I'm grinning deeply right now Tom.. Do you remember an evening at the joint Mystical Power/2 of Hearts slash ALL T6 party during the 09-11-2001 stand down; quite a party actually! We were talking about your desire to compete, I believe we discussed driving a bunch of vehicles out around the course using our lights as guides.. just a bunch of late night revelry, to be sure but...

I miss the old times!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Some more information on the Airbus E-Fan.
                      "With two 65-kilogram lithium battery packs hidden in its wings, each driving a 30-kilowatt electric motor, the E-Fan cruises at 185 kilometres per hour and flies for an hour."

Comment

Originally posted by Airrace7 View Post
                        I would have to agree that an all electric racing class would not only be good for Reno but the electric industry as well.

This year, the first fully electric car racing series will debut in cities around the globe. It will be called the the Formula E Series. I have heard that ten teams will be competing. There is a french company building the cars. They are using two McLaren motor generators units (the same ones used in the McLaren P-1 Hybrid.

The car will have a 200 kilowatt battery system and they claim it will be able to race for an hour. But that also takes in the consideration the cars braking system can capture energy otherwise lost during the braking process. You won't be able to gain any energy by braking in an aircraft but I think the technology is there now and you should be able to keep the airplane aloft for at least 30 minutes obtaining speeds of 100 to 150 mph and with a boost control you should easily be able to double that speed but not for long inter vaults.
                        Remember that a Nissan Leaf battery at 24kWh weighs over 600lbs and the gas to make a C-150 go 115mph for 30 minutes weighs less than 20lbs

Comment

Food for thought.. http://evworld.com/focus.cfm?cid=219 couldn't find a publish date...
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Electric race bike manufacturer MotoCzysz has taken home its fourth consecutive TT ZERO win at the Isle of Man. And for the first time since the introduction of the all-electric series in 2009, the electron-charged bikes are up to the level of some gasoline bikes that have been dominating the event over its 94-race history.

This article gives an idea how quick electric bikes are improving at the IOM TT. The current record for ic bikes is 131.671mph. The 2014 races take place at the end of
                            June.

Electric
                            =========
                            2009 87.0 mph
                            2010 96.8 mph
                            2011 99.6 mph
                            2012 104.0 mph
                            2013 109.7 mph

IC engine
                            ===========
                            1926 70mph
                            1937 90mph
                            1953 93.33mph
                            1957 100mph
                            1967 108.77mph
                            1976 112.27mph
                            1980 115mph
                            1989 121.34 mph
                            2013 131.671mph

Comment

http://www.wired.com/2013/06/2013-isle-of-man-tt-zero/

This article gives an idea how quick electric bikes are improving at the IOM TT. The current record for ic bikes is 131.671mph. The 2014 races take place at the end of
                              June.

Electric
                              =========
                              2009 87.0 mph
                              2010 96.8 mph
                              2011 99.6 mph
                              2012 104.0 mph
                              2013 109.7 mph

IC engine
                              ===========
                              1926 70mph
                              1937 90mph
                              1953 93.33mph
                              1957 100mph
                              1967 108.77mph
                              1976 112.27mph
                              1980 115mph
                              1989 121.34 mph
                              2013 131.671mph
                              This year (2014) the electrics again made great progress, achieving 117mph average lap speed. The petrols 132.298 mph.
                              It would be nice to see the electric plane class starting sson so we can also watch the improvements each year.Otherwise they will just come in at 500mph with little room for improvement over the years.

Comment

I guess it could happen....

Formula 1 race team Williams is joining with British group Electroflight to help build the world’s fastest electric airplane — a sleek single-seater with an anticipated top speed above 260 knots, which would shatter the existing record for electric flight. The group says the airplane will be powered by a unique contra-rotating electric propulsion system … Continued

Comment

Working...
                                X