Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

Quote Originally Posted by Reno_Steve View Post
    Is there any class at Reno which currently would allow electric aircraft ?

The reason I would like to see this introduced soon , is because it is interesting to watch the records tumble each year and with a novel class like this the performance curve is going to be very steep with it taking a few years to reach full potential.

With the ic classes we have almost reached the peak in performance (except with the sports class arguably) so it is rather disappointing thinking that it was better in the olden days.

It would also introduce a new set of fans to air racing with aircraft being entered by universities , IT and electronic companies and with it likely pushing aerodynamics due to less power (than ic at least initially) but also less drag being likely we will see a great variety of designs.
    I think there is still much to be done in every class and yes especially sport. Back when everyone thought the Pitts was the best biplane racer, now Aberle smashed that idea. Formula 1, look at september fate man oh man. T-6's, who knows what crazy thing someone will think of to make the ultimate trainer. Unlimiteds, ah yes the unlimiteds, even if nobody can push more power out of a 3350 or 4360, that just means closer/tighter Unlimited gold races for years to come!!!
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '17

Is there any class at Reno which currently would allow electric aircraft ?

The reason I would like to see this introduced soon , is because it is interesting to watch the records tumble each year and with a novel class like this the performance curve is going to be very steep with it taking a few years to reach full potential.

With the ic classes we have almost reached the peak in performance (except with the sports class arguably) so it is rather disappointing thinking that it was better in the olden days.

It would also introduce a new set of fans to air racing with aircraft being entered by universities , IT and electronic companies and with it likely pushing aerodynamics due to less power (than ic at least initially) but also less drag being likely we will see a great variety of designs.
    I think the only class you could do anything like that would be IF1 with the current motors and batteries. The only rule you would not be in compliance with is that it would not have an O200. I could build a 125 hp E-Cassutt with off the shelf components, but it would only fly for 12 minutes.

I think an electric class is a great idea! I doubt they could finish a race. Maybe instead it would be more exhibition oriented and they would only fly a limited number of laps

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    I think an electric class is a great idea! I doubt they could finish a race. Maybe instead it would be more exhibition oriented and they would only fly a limited number of laps
    Fastest time trial wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    Maybe Turbo Electric. Leave the batteries, install a Capstone turbine/generator and an electric motor. Run on kerosene. gives you control of the cg. Call it an O-220v.

Snidely

You have that thing up front that spins already. Why can't you use that to recover some or all of the energy used and recharge the batteries while in flight? Seems to me the prop would be spinning fast enough a generator could produce enough recoverable energy to sustain flight indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfee View Post
    You have that thing up front that spins already. Why can't you use that to recover some or all of the energy used and recharge the batteries while in flight? Seems to me the prop would be spinning fast enough a generator could produce enough recoverable energy to sustain flight indefinitely.
    This would work for a soaring glider using thermals or ridge lift to sustain height but would be of no use while racing.

It is always fun watching new technology pushing the envelope, so I think it is about time Reno introduced an electric class.
    Initially they will be slow but I reckon within a few years they will be lapping at 400mph. In ten years they should beat the unlimiteds.
    I have been following the Isle of Man TT races for motorcycles and they now have an electric class. Each year they lap at a higher average speed by about 7mph.

Initially the class should be as free from rules (other than for safety) as possible but to keep the cost down it would be sensible to later have a second limited class with a limit on the mass of either the aircraft or battery.

Maybe using a Tesla car battery would be possible.
    (Tow your aircraft to the track, put the battery from your car in after re-charging , race and then after the races and a nights charging drive home).

In RC models electric is easily competitive with ic power over cars, boats and aircraft. At pikes peak the electric bikes beat the ic bikes and in the cars they came 5th.
    Sorry, I don't see an electric powered racing class any time in the near future. There is very little commercial benefit to it. Electrics don't scale very well and batteries are extremely heavy compared to gasoline. This is less of an issue in a car or a motorcycle but when you have to drag it off the ground it changes things. Take a look at the size of the batteries required in this vehicle. http://blog.buckeyebullet.com
    I also don't see it as any kind of crowd pleaser that ads excitement to an event, and this is needed more than anything right now at Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by Snidely View Post
    Maybe Turbo Electric. Leave the batteries, install a Capstone turbine/generator and an electric motor. Run on kerosene. gives you control of the cg. Call it an O-220v.

Snidely
    I like this idea because it would allow testing and research of electric motors under the rigors of a racing environment wuile at the same time still allowing for a longer run time than with batteries. At the same time it also sounds heavy and expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoVWXHT9QHo

I dont see this as replacing unlimiteds but as an extra race with the great chance of setting new records this should be of interest to the fans as it is something new and different.

It is a shame to see this new technology evolving but not visible at Reno. I thought one of the purposes of racing was to push technology.
    Last edited by Reno_Steve; 05-04-2014 at 12:06 AM.