Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

Not much different than a Merlin/Radial blowing at race power?
    Lockheed Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    Not much different than a Merlin/Radial blowing at race power?
    I think it's worse. This is more like cutting and igniting a fuel line.
    I think this is a better comparison because a single battery or a little bit of fuel igniting is bad, but causing a chain reaction ot ignite the rest of the batteries/fuel gets really bad really fast.
    "young" Thomas

You are correct that battery fires are a major problem, and I have decided the better solution is to follow the research currently making great progress in the development of hydrogen-boron fusion technology.

https://newatlas.com/energy/hb11-hyd...GR6nojhB2UvcV0

This is a possible future energy source that could be carried in the aircraft. The Boron proton reaction does not need turbines and generators to make electricity , so potentially it could be quite light. It also does not put out much dangerous radiation so heavy shielding is not required. Probably still at least 10 years away before it could be used, but it is a very promising technology that will remove the need for dangerous batteries in the aircraft while offering almost unlimited range.

In the short term it would be great for events like the Reno Air Races to develop electric motors and control electronics capable of handling the power relevant for use in the airline business. I think it is time to have an unlimited class for electrics, even if only one lap to push this side of the design, allowing batteries to progress as well as alternatives such as fusion.
    Last edited by Colbourne; 02-27-2020 at 05:51 PM.

I think it is time to have an unlimited class for electrics, even if only one lap to push this side of the design, allowing batteries to progress as well as alternatives such as fusion.
    Sounds like what you are proposing is an all out speed attempt. A one lap race is basically that.

I'm not going to lay awake at night waiting for fusion. Just sayin'

Answer to thread title..............NO !!

Answer to thread title..............NO !!
    Ok Boomer.

You will probably be dead in 50 years so you are not thinking ahead as to what the NCAR will look like in 50 years. If you think WWll era birds will still be duking it out, I fear you would be mistaken.

Let these kids think ahead. Let them advance the sport. If an electric class is to be, empower these kids to succeed. If fusion engines are on the table, then embrace it.

Sure, there is no substitute to the roar of 35,000hp diving for the best line, but it can't last. IC engines are not the future, they are the past.
    '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by planecrazy2 View Post
    Ok Boomer.
    Really?? Original ...

For the record, I'm a millennial and I agree it's NOT time for RARA to introduce an electric class (which is the only question I believe supercub was responding too). The technology is coming along but it's not there yet, nor is there enough readily available and feasible electric aircraft that can race in a course setting like Reno ... especially when you consider just how precious every moment of air race/show time is at Reno.

By all means, one day things will be different, the technology will continue to advance and yes, one day there probably (hopefully!) will be an electric class of racers at Reno. But the reality is neither you nor I know what the future holds at RARA ...
    Last edited by chrs3590; 02-28-2020 at 05:29 PM.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrs3590 View Post
    Really?? Original ...

For the record, I'm a millennial and I agree it's NOT time for RARA to introduce an electric class (which is the only question I believe supercub was responding too). The technology is coming along but it's not there yet, nor is there enough readily available and feasible electric aircraft that can race in a course setting like Reno ... especially when you consider just how precious every moment of air race/show time is at Reno.

By all means, one day things will be different, the technology will continue to advance and yes, one day there probably (hopefully!) will be an electric class of racers at Reno. But the reality is neither you nor I know what the future holds at RARA ...
    Exactly, I'm not against an electric class somewhere down the road, but I don't think now is the time. Personally, I'd rather see a turbine class, say of unlimited's or some sort of sport class turbines. just a thought.

Ha! Noted Chris, you are not a boomer, like only 99% of the members of this site are boomers. Ha! Glad to see both you and supercub are at least open to the idea of electric powerplants in racers. I have had this come up before in posts and was surprised over the old timers dismissing electrics outright.

Yes I agree on turbines for sport class racers! Have advocated this for years. Seems it would be a natural progression, and much safer IMHO. I doubt there would be enough support for retrofitting warbirds in the unlimited class with turbine powerplants.

Cheers!
    Last edited by planecrazy2; 03-01-2020 at 12:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by planecrazy2 View Post
    Ha! Noted Chris, you are not a boomer, like only 99% of the members of this site are boomers. Ha! Glad to see both you and supercub are at least open to the idea of electric powerplants in racers. I have had this come up before in posts and was surprised over the old timers dismissing electrics outright.

Yes I agree on turbines for sport class racers! Have advocated this for years. Seems it would be a natural progression, and much safer IMHO. I doubt there would be enough support for retrofitting warbirds in the unlimited class with turbine powerplants.

Cheers!
    Boomer for sure here... 70 years old next July.... just about hard for me to believe.. I'm still stuck in the 50-60's when I grew up, and in the 40's that I looked back at with awe.

We really need to look at the history of air racing when thinking about its future.

First air race was with what was available and the fastest won. There were not too many options for entrants!

As Air Racing evolved, military advancements and war surplus wound up changing the face of the sport and it evolved into what we have today.

If recently retired military aircraft in civilian hands were going to continue being the top stars of the sport, what we see today would be wildly different!

As technology outpaced Air Racing's ability to actually include the fastest airplanes, including the latest retired military fleet, the sport evolved into today.

Over the decades after WWII and the abundant supply of surplus chithot airplanes to race evaporated, here we are.

Back to where we were in Air Racing before WWII..

I'm rambling but, what I'm trying to say is we have to change with the times or we will die as a relevant sport!

Does not matter if it's racing man piloted drones..

Whatever the fastest aircraft of the era are, we should be racing them at RENO!

Make sense?

Not going pre-read/edit just going to throw out that we probably have to rethink how we look at Air Racing if we want it to continue deeper into this century.....
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"