Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415

Thread: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-60068786

An all-electric aircraft built by Rolls-Royce has broken two world speed records.

In November 2021, The Spirit of Innovation hit an average of 555.9 km/h (345.4 mph) over 3 km, and 532.1km/h (330 mph) over 15 km.

Both attempts, which took place at an experimental testing site, have now been verified as records by the World Air Sports Federation.
    The aircraft's average speed over 3 km broke the existing record by 213.04 km/h (132 mph).The 15 kilometres speed was 292.8 km/h (182 mph) faster than the previous record.A third record attempt, for the fastest climb to 3,000m, reached in 202 seconds, is still going through the verification process. If approved, it will break the current record by 60 seconds. Maximum speed reached was 387.4 mph (623 km/h) .

Jon will chime in if I'm wrong (I hope) but pretty sure that's an NXT airframe holding that electric powerplant!!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Ultimately, unless we (mankind) harness solar power in a big way, the electric movement is going to hit major roadblocks. Not to mention that we already have taxed our hydro capability by over use to supply probably unstainable growth (I'm here right now so I'll use Vegas as an example). Lake Meade is amazingly low, a huge amount of the power needed to run southern California and elsewhere comes from that dam's powerplants.

Totally not ranting here but I read a page by one of the Lavara brothers (I believe they used to come here) on facebook. The guy is an absolute stats wizzard! He did a study of the power use of his totally electric car and extrapolated the usage based on desired levels of all electric vehicles.. WARNING WARNING.. there probably isn't enough available supply to support the demand.

As far as I can see, environmentally, solar is pretty much zero impact. Being down here in Vegas and seeing how many days are sunny, even in winter, and being accosted in a big box store by a solar guy who very quickly told me I could install a system at zero cost to me right now.

Driving across the desert to get here, we saw some large scale solar operations... Impressive! An absolute boatload of totally useless to mankind desert across this planet.. What was it they said during the intro to the Six Million Dollar Man.. "we have the technology, we can make it better than before"

Imagine if there was a way to make the skin of an electric airplane a big solar gathering platform..
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Ultimately, unless we (mankind) harness solar power in a big way, the electric movement is going to hit major roadblocks. Not to mention that we already have taxed our hydro capability by over use to supply probably unstainable growth (I'm here right now so I'll use Vegas as an example). Lake Meade is amazingly low, a huge amount of the power needed to run southern California and elsewhere comes from that dam's powerplants.

Totally not ranting here but I read a page by one of the Lavara brothers (I believe they used to come here) on facebook. The guy is an absolute stats wizzard! He did a study of the power use of his totally electric car and extrapolated the usage based on desired levels of all electric vehicles.. WARNING WARNING.. there probably isn't enough available supply to support the demand.

As far as I can see, environmentally, solar is pretty much zero impact. Being down here in Vegas and seeing how many days are sunny, even in winter, and being accosted in a big box store by a solar guy who very quickly told me I could install a system at zero cost to me right now.

Driving across the desert to get here, we saw some large scale solar operations... Impressive! An absolute boatload of totally useless to mankind desert across this planet.. What was it they said during the intro to the Six Million Dollar Man.. "we have the technology, we can make it better than before"

Imagine if there was a way to make the skin of an electric airplane a big solar gathering platform..
    I think that we found a source of clean energy decades ago and it had some teething problems in the beginning, and a couple of s were dropped that ended WWII, so it's a dirty word. Nuclear power.

https://newatlas.com/aircraft/joby-e...1ccbf-90223594

An alternative electric aircraft :-

Joby S4 hits 205 mph, flying further and faster than any eVTOL to date

7. Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

The problem with solar panels is efficiency. For a lot of weight and complexity you do get some electricity. But it just isn't enough to make it all worth while (yet).

The first problem is to use solar panels you either need constant, uninterrupted light to be constantly generating power or you need to have the panels go to a battery which then feeds the motor and systems. Maybe the battery can be smaller than a full electric, but you are now rather than just paying the single penalty of the weight of batteries now you are paying the additional substantial weight penalty of integrating solar panels. This all gets better as solar panel efficiency continues to improve but people have been saying that for a long time.

Also solar panels are not free (either in terms of money or environmental costs). This has become an issue with wind turbines as well.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...h=2b88062f5fe5
    Last edited by CubersWrist; 01-25-2022 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Jon will chime in if I'm wrong (I hope) but pretty sure that's an NXT airframe holding that electric powerplant!!
    Sorry to veer off topic for a moment, but what ever became of the French, diesel powered NXT, Big Frog, that raced early in the week at Reno 2011? As I remember it was badly damaged in an off-field landing sometime later. Does it still exist, and if so, is it being rebuilt?

9. Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

Quote Originally Posted by N22252 View Post
    Sorry to veer off topic for a moment, but what ever became of the French, diesel powered NXT, Big Frog, that raced early in the week at Reno 2011? As I remember it was badly damaged in an off-field landing sometime later. Does it still exist, and if so, is it being rebuilt?
    Big Frog was turned into "Ion Bird" a test stand for the Rolls Royce Project.
    https://www.kitplanes.com/nxt-next/