Thread: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

It is always fun watching new technology pushing the envelope, so I think it is about time Reno introduced an electric class.
    Initially they will be slow but I reckon within a few years they will be lapping at 400mph. In ten years they should beat the unlimiteds.
    I have been following the Isle of Man TT races for motorcycles and they now have an electric class. Each year they lap at a higher average speed by about 7mph.

Initially the class should be as free from rules (other than for safety) as possible but to keep the cost down it would be sensible to later have a second limited class with a limit on the mass of either the aircraft or battery.

Maybe using a Tesla car battery would be possible.
    (Tow your aircraft to the track, put the battery from your car in after re-charging , race and then after the races and a nights charging drive home).

In RC models electric is easily competitive with ic power over cars, boats and aircraft. At pikes peak the electric bikes beat the ic bikes and in the cars they came 5th.

Default Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

I don't know. They might make it on the Fi course OK but not any longer. The time would be slow. How about watching 1/4 scale planes race a smaller course? I watched them some time ago in the valley and it was exciting.

Boss

Why do you think these electric planes are going to be slow ? Currently 220mph is achievable and with a little development I cant see why they will not be over 400mph. It would be good to see them on the unlimited course so that each year we can see how the developments are improving. Probably two laps is all that is required to give a good show and not make the batteries too expensive.

http://www.gizmag.com/e-fan-airbus-e...7eeee-90223594

The E-Fan reaches a speed of 110 km / h during takeoff and cruising speed stands at 160 km / h

In 2009, a team from the Turin Polytechnic University made a conversion of a Pioneer Alpi 300. It flew 250 km/h for 14 minutes.

The developers of the Mighty Cri-Cri Electric Mini Plane and pilot can add another “world’s fastest” to the list as they hit 283 kilometers per hour, running on only electricity and two 35-horsepower engines in 2011

http://www.wired.com/2013/10/yates-world-records/

"At that throttle setting I did 352 km.h (220.9 mph) in one direction,” Yates says. An onboard GPS was recording the ground speed, and there were also timers on the ground. “In the other direction I did 212.9, averaged 216.9.”
    Last edited by Reno_Steve; 05-01-2014 at 08:47 AM.

Imagine the sound of those mean, electric, super-mod, unlimited machines as they blast down the chute and onto the course.

LOL

I was at the U.S. Scale Nationals Qualifier in Hemet, CA a couple of weeks ago. One modeler had a large electric P-47. When he throttled-up, a speaker inside that ugly, oatmeal can fuselage, made the sound of a radial starting-up and running. It was cool as he taxied out.
    '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

...just no! Racing at Reno is about massive consumption of precious, irreplaceable fossil fuels, refined to the Nth degree and fortifications of rare earth elements mingled, producing that raucous cacophony and blistering hair-on-fire speeds that I know and love! It CAN NOT be replaced by...... a gentle woosh and muted crickets! (not to mention the yawns of dis-interest)....

eRacing belongs at the " Mother Earth tree hugging festival''!

...that being said, if some bravado imbued, zipper-suited sun god put one of the back-up RTG's from the Cassini probe in their
    eSonex, and flew....I might buy a ticket to see that!

*disclaimer* ...yes, as a matter of fact..I'm old and narrow minded..
    Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Spin, you missed one important point. As I always tell my fellow automobile drivers, please, please buy a Prius, it will save more recycled dinosaurs for my V10.

Same goes for aviation. The more battery powered toys, the more dino juice is saved for the Unlimiteds!

Quote Originally Posted by Reno_Steve View Post
    It is always fun watching new technology pushing the envelope, so I think it is about time Reno introduced an electric class.
    Initially they will be slow but I reckon within a few years they will be lapping at 400mph. In ten years they should beat the unlimiteds.
    I have been following the Isle of Man TT races for motorcycles and they now have an electric class. Each year they lap at a higher average speed by about 7mph.

Initially the class should be as free from rules (other than for safety) as possible but to keep the cost down it would be sensible to later have a second limited class with a limit on the mass of either the aircraft or battery.

(Tow your aircraft to the track, put the battery from your car in after re-charging , race and then after the races and a nights charging drive home).

In RC models electric is easily competitive with ic power over cars, boats and aircraft. At pikes peak the electric bikes beat the ic bikes and in the cars they came 5th.
    Sorry, I don't see an electric powered racing class any time in the near future. There is very little commercial benefit to it. Electrics don't scale very well and batteries are extremely heavy compared to gasoline. This is less of an issue in a car or a motorcycle but when you have to drag it off the ground it changes things. Take a look at the size of the batteries required in this vehicle. http://blog.buckeyebullet.com
    I also don't see it as any kind of crowd pleaser that ads excitement to an event, and this is needed more than anything right now at Reno.

Yes... Solar only, mid-night event...The silence will be deafening!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reno_Steve View Post

Last edited by Race#21; 05-07-2014 at 05:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    Mystical Power

Quote Originally Posted by Race#21 View Post
    Yes... Solar only, mid-night event...The silence will be deafening!
    I'm grinning deeply right now Tom.. Do you remember an evening at the joint Mystical Power/2 of Hearts slash ALL T6 party during the 09-11-2001 stand down; quite a party actually! We were talking about your desire to compete, I believe we discussed driving a bunch of vehicles out around the course using our lights as guides.. just a bunch of late night revelry, to be sure but...

I miss the old times!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Some more information on the Airbus E-Fan.
    "With two 65-kilogram lithium battery packs hidden in its wings, each driving a 30-kilowatt electric motor, the E-Fan cruises at 185 kilometres per hour and flies for an hour."

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.U2saNqIkS6I