Sea Fury & Cessna 210 mid air over San Pablo Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sea Fury & Cessna 210 mid air over San Pablo Bay

Nope... but i think your ego is stepping in unnecessarily!
    Todd Smith

Comment

Ahmmm. I gotta agree with Matt on this one. I thought it was a bit premature to speculate on cause before all the (any) facts were available....but I also agree with Randy, Wayne and the Dude that it is important for professionals to dissect this accident. Let the facts be revealed by the NTSB report and we can revisit this tragedy with accurate information to base conclusions on.

Meanwhile, all the best to Mr. Plumb’s family, and the Sanders.

Anyone know the extent of the damage on the Buick?
      '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Matt, I don't know you but I do believe in free speech. I come here to find out info about air racing. The discussion about this terrible accident has been important to me as someone who flies formation. I don’t care if they were flying formation or not. The information provided has been valuable to me. The facts as you say will come out. Sometimes I wonder why I follow these sites. Maybe I should just go to the races like the old days where you had no clue about the months in between. I'm just another lurker who never posts because I’m afraid of being called a fence bird.

Speculation? (Quote Matt Jackson)
        “No I think is this case it might simply be an unavoidable accident, where one of the aircraft does an unintentional maneuver striking the other aircraft”.

Wayne you can shut this baby down. I am so sick of hearing the so called experts telling us “fence birds” how to think and what we can say.
        Brad
        Windy Hill GA83

Comment

Yes Brad you have just had some of my free speech. If you don't like someone else's free speech you are not entitled to your own. I suggest you get over it.
          Last edited by Matt Jackson; 05-03-2014, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for keeping a very emotionally charged situation civil.
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I feel I have to add, the "speculation" that this accident happened during formation flight is, likely, due to the fact that most news agencies have been reporting the information that they have received, that the airplanes were, indeed, flying formation. Don't be too harsh on us "railbirds" Matt
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne, I am embarrassed for you and your readers, followers. The gentlemen said he did not know who Matt Jackson was, that is a shame.

Matt is regarded as one of the best high performance pilots to fly any aircraft, see Smithsonian Air and Space, and many other articles detailing some awesome flying skills.

When your readers take to the pylons and ease the aircraft down to less than 50' AGL, with a 500 IAS, call me.

When the facts and NTSB report is available, then they can speculate on what happened.

The parties involved were close friends.
                Warbirds45

Comment

Perhaps the discussion of formation flying came from the news reports quoting the lead investigator:

RICHMOND, Calif. (KGO) -- A National Transportation Safety Board investigator said a collision between two planes that ended with one crashing into the San Pablo Bay over the weekend happened during a passing maneuver.

The lead investigator, Howard Plagens, said the pilot of a vintage Hawker Sea Fury TMK 20 pulled up to the left side of a travelling companion flying a Cessna 210. The Sea Fury's pilot heard a "thump" and immediately focused on trying to fly his own plane to land safely.

The statement by the investigator was made after interviewing the pilot of the Sea Fury.

Since both topics are important, maybe this thread should be split?
                  Sky Critter

Comment

Magdrop(Brad) Sorry about what you said about Matt Jackson as he has flown more different unlimited race planes than anyone out there. I guess you really don't follow air racing as he flew "Strega" in 2013 & yes he does know a lot about flying.
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Warbirds45 View Post
                      Wayne, I am embarrassed for you and your readers, followers. The gentlemen said he did not know who Matt Jackson was, that is a shame.

Matt is regarded as one of the best high performance pilots to fly any aircraft, see Smithsonian Air and Space, and many other articles detailing some awesome flying skills.

When your readers take to the pylons and ease the aircraft down to less than 50' AGL, with a 500 IAS, call me.

When the facts and NTSB report is available, then they can speculate on what happened.

The parties involved were close friends.
                      Warbirds45

Who said they didn't know who Matt was?

Whatever the experience level here all should be respected.

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah View Post
                        Who said they didn't know who Matt was?
                        He didn't say that he didn't know who Matt WAS, just said he didn't KNOW him, as in personally. People are so quick to get their panties in a twist that they don't bother comprehending what they're reacting to.

I thought the discussion pre-Matt was perfectly civil and educational, with minimal speculation. But I'm just a railbird and don't know anyone involved, so my point is moo.

Comment

I'm really puzzled by what is going on here. No one, other than Matt, speculated as to the cause of the accident. No one said they didn't know who Matt was or that he was anything other than who he is: an accomplished and respected race pilot. Neither Randy nor Tom nor anyone else were discussing the accident or pointing fingers at anyone. What I did see were several expressions of sorrow and support and an excellent, universal conversation about formation flying that was informative and professional.

I know this is a very difficult and painful situation for the folks who are in the immediate circle of those involved. I feel like this group has gone above and beyond in showing a great deal of respect to those individuals.

I get that part of what makes AAFO special is the fact that many of the "insiders" come here to share their world with us. I don't fly at 50' AGL and 500 IAS. I have a great deal of respect for the skills of those who can and I love to hear first hand from them. The respect of the individual comes from how they live and interact with those around them...whether racing airplanes, serving our country, or collecting my trash on Mondays. Air racing is covered up with folks who have both.

I don't want the insiders to stop coming here but I also don't want those of us who are not so fortunate to feel as if we cannot have meaningful discussions or input. I think it is telling that neither Randy or Tom have posted again. I am certain that it is based out of respect for the situation. While not certain, I would not be surprised if it wasn't also based out of respect for this board and the desire to keep it relevant. It is clear something is more important to them than "setting the record straight". I've met Tom and I can tell you he is an asset to and ambassador for our sport. His passion and professionalism are infectious and I am looking forward to watching Unleashed for years to come!

This board has thrived as an oligarchy because it has enough balance to keep the masses engaged. I, for one, would like it to stay that way but that is for others to decide.

I guess that makes it my four cents...

James

Comment

A little off topic... but

Which race aircraft has ever seen 500mph IAS while racing at Reno ?
                            I would buy a mid 400's, but not 500.

Comment

So we are getting all worked up by a quote by "the media"?! Well some of us out here such as Matt may have first hand details that will remain private out of respect for the parties involved. For those us that have worked around them it's very easy to rub us the wrong way with opinions. It's just too fresh of a wound.

Comment

Originally posted by Tibia View Post
                                A little off topic... but

Which race aircraft has ever seen 500mph IAS while racing at Reno ?
                                I would buy a mid 400's, but not 500.
                                My guess would be Dago or Tsunami. Skip would be THE MAN to ask.

Comment

Working...
                                X