• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new concept class of racing at Reno

Click image for larger version

Name:	Iphone 365.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	241753I was visiting in St Helena California and came across a business that takes a Volkswagen bug and puts a radial motor on the back of it. It runs off of propane and is probably the fastest Volkswagen in the world. Click image for larger version

Name:	Iphone 364.jpg
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	241752Click image for larger version

Name:	Iphone 364.jpg
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	241752

Re: A new concept class of racing at Reno

Is just me, or does that look like a puller prop bolted on backwards to be a pusher?

Met a really talented fabricator once. While showing photos of his handwork, there was a moped with a motor and prop on the back. He said the performance was well below what he had hoped to achieve. He had taken a regular prop and turned it around backwards. I pointed this out to him. He had no idea a pusher prop is different.
    No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
    http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Sorry for my ignorance but what is the difference between a pusher prop and a puller prop ?

I understand that it has to run in the correct direction and a prop has a front and back.

Comment

The shape of a prop blade is optimized to either pull, or push. Although there are turboprops which can go into reverse pitch and back up, the blades are optimized to go one direction. Taking a puller prop and sticking it on a pusher application is effectively running the prop backwards. It will work, but not as effectively.

Another way to think about it is imagine if you took the wings on a Cessna 150 and flipped them over, so the top is now the bottom. It will still fly, but it won't create as much lift. I suppose this doesn't count with a laminar flow wing, but I've never heard of a prop shaped that way.

Thus exhausts my layman's understanding of wings. Experts, please feel free to correct me.
        No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
        http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

An upside down wing (or backwards prop) can generate the same lift as right side up (up to a point) but generally generate more drag as they do it. This means more torque required to spin the prop at a given RPM and thrust, requiring more power from the engine, making for an less efficient installation.

How bad this is depends on the airfoil. A highly cambered (curved) airfoil will be the worst; a symmetrical airfoil won't care either way.

Comment

Think I will hold out for the Jet Beetle Class...

http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

Comment

What you want is this:

More detail on the power unit here:

Get old-time hot-rodders together and utter the name "Turbonique." The entire conversation will shift to legends and half-truths of the '60s company supposedly created by NASA subcontractors to create a consumer market for rocket technology. Now there's video.

But I digress...

Comment

if you took the wings on a Cessna 150 and flipped them over, so the top is now the bottom. It will still fly,
                So, Imma gonna flip my C-150 wings over and it will be a racer? Is that called laminar airflow? Or something technical like that? What if I just raced it inverted? Would it still be a race plane?
                '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by L.E.D. View Post
                  An upside down wing (or backwards prop) can generate the same lift as right side up (up to a point) but generally generate more drag as they do it. This means more torque required to spin the prop at a given RPM and thrust, requiring more power from the engine, making for an less efficient installation.

How bad this is depends on the airfoil. A highly cambered (curved) airfoil will be the worst; a symmetrical airfoil won't care either way.
                  But if you use a puller prop as a pusher you still have the prop front at the front (relative to the aircraft) or is there some problem with attaching the prop the other way round to the engine ?

It means you need to have an engine running the opposite direction.

Comment

Working...
                  X