Anson Johnson’s Mustang Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anson Johnson’s Mustang Restoration

Sure is neat to see this P-51 finally getting worked on.

Random Air Blog

Re: Anson Johnson’s Mustang Restoration

but to non-airworthy standard, as the aircraft will only ever be on static display
    Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
      I have mixed feelings about this. Normally I am the type of guy who hates to see anything (classic car, aircraft, etc) locked up in a museum and have always had the opionin that these things were meant to be used/shown/enjoyed.

The flip side is that this is truly a one of a kind historical racer, and with murphy's law in effect it would be a shame to have something happen to it.

The part I don't get (other than time/$$$) is why you would go to the trouble of custom making part(s), then not do it in a way to make it airworthy in the event that someone someday changes their mind.

Comment

At least it is not owned by the government so there is a possibility it could fly under a different owner someday...
        Random Air Blog

Comment

I recall at one point in the early 1980's (I think it was in Air Classics) Anson Johnson was in the planning stages of the working with the Bradley Air Museum to not only get it restored back to airworthy, but also to actually race it at Reno. Not just fly it around at the back of the pack, but RACE it again.

Comment

Given how many former Racers have gone back to stock and pretty much erased their entire racing history as a result, I am actually happy to know this is being restored and probably will be static. It means it won't be turned into yet another Red Tail or TF by some future owner nearly as easily...... Plus, it puts a Racer in front of the public's eyes for all to see. I find very few people who know that airplanes of any kind have ever been raced at all!

Comment

walt ohlrich was going to restore/race it at one point.....
              Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
              RIP 03/17/10

Comment

I remember that in AC. Thought it a cool idea at the time.
                Glad to see it restored as a racer. I was always a bit disappointed that Kermit Weeks didn't put Mantz's old Mustang back in it's racing livery. It had much more history associated with it's racing career than any other facet of it's life.
                Like air racing or not, it IS a part of aviation history.
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                  ...I was always a bit disappointed that Kermit Weeks didn't put Mantz's old Mustang back in it's racing livery....
                  ...agreed..
                  ...in case anyone needs to be reminded what Mantz's "Race 46" looked like...
                  ...at SNA, June 1961 when Mantz and Tallman had their "stuff" outside while the "Movieland af the Air" building was under construction...

Click image for larger version

Name:	SFW-S61-4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	227595Click image for larger version

Name:	SFW-S61-7.jpg
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	227593Click image for larger version

Name:	SFW-S58-8.jpg
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	227594

Comment

Originally posted by RandyGoss75 View Post
                    walt ohlrich was going to restore/race it at one point.....
                    When Lyle was racing for Richard Vartanian in 1965/66 Vartanian owned the airplane and that almost became Lyle's second race plane.
                    John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                      When Lyle was racing for Richard Vartanian in 1965/66 Vartanian owned the airplane and that almost became Lyle's second race plane.
                      I think that SOMEONE needs to do a 'fantasy model' of the Rare Bear scoopless Mustang for a certain show next year.

Jesssayin.

Comment

White with purple stripes ala exhaust streaks, sweeping up the tail.

Comment

Working...
                        X