This should wake up this board....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This should wake up this board....

Email today about Media Guidelines... Is it just me, or are they trying to drive out a large base of their photographers...:
    "6. PhotographersPhotographers wishing to cover the National Championship Air Races must be on assignment from a recognized news organization and must include detailed information regarding that assignment in the media credential application. All photographs taken at the event must be used solely for use by the publication for which an individual is credentialed, unless he/she is otherwise granted express written consent by the Reno Air Racing association. Without such consent, it is strictly prohibited for any photograph taken in association with the event to be used in any manner by, or in association with, any publication other than that publication for which the individual is credentialed. Photographs taken at this event are not to be sold to any other media outlet, organization or individual unless permission is granted by the Reno Air Racing Association. Failure to comply with the above regulations will result in the immediate loss of credential privileges for any future access for the photographer to the National Championship Air Races. Additionally, the media outlet listed will lose the ability to credential a photographer at future events."

If you want to join, please answer the questions provided to gain access. If you would like to have your friends join, ask them to answer the provided questions. We received 20-50 per day. If you do...

Re: This should wake up this board....

Change seems to have arrived.....

Comment

Originally posted by LoveOldPlanes View Post
      Change seems to have arrived.....
      Isn't this SOP?

Comment

My first thoughts we're..

"Isn't it about time?"

I believe RARA needs to crack down a bit. So +1

Comment

Can't vouch word for word but essentially this is SOP.
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah View Post
            Email today about Media Guidelines... Is it just me, or are they trying to drive out a large base of their photographers...:
            "6. PhotographersPhotographers wishing to cover the National Championship Air Races must be on assignment from a recognized news organization and must include detailed information regarding that assignment in the media credential application. All photographs taken at the event must be used solely for use by the publication for which an individual is credentialed, unless he/she is otherwise granted express written consent by the Reno Air Racing association. Without such consent, it is strictly prohibited for any photograph taken in association with the event to be used in any manner by, or in association with, any publication other than that publication for which the individual is credentialed. Photographs taken at this event are not to be sold to any other media outlet, organization or individual unless permission is granted by the Reno Air Racing Association. Failure to comply with the above regulations will result in the immediate loss of credential privileges for any future access for the photographer to the National Championship Air Races. Additionally, the media outlet listed will lose the ability to credential a photographer at future events."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/13949458301/
            I'd have to really look at it in detail, but from what I remember signing off on content as media slag..... (yes, this site and publication of our works in more than a few magazine and other media outlets has qualified AAFO.COM representatives as correspondents at many events in the past) this isn't any different from what media has been required to sign off in the past... This is based on "speed reading" the posted material... I stand ready and willing to be corrected by those more informed!!!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I don't remember the prohibition on publishing work in magazines other than the one you have specific credentaials from being part of the media release before. I've had shots published in 4 or so print magazines plus web magazine reports and general FB and forum posts from some years in the past.

I'd have thought that they'd want the Races publicized as much as possible.
              Last edited by Mike51; 04-02-2014, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Sounds like its not even worth my effort to try and get media credentials this year. I guess I'll have to get a really really big lens to shoot from the hill again.

Will

Comment

Guys, this is nothing out of the norm...no need to freak-out. Like any other form of sporting event it's about controlling the brand and the marketing. You shoot for an accredited new organization and your images are used for that purpose. If you want them used elsewhere or otherwise, you contact RARA for permission. Last I heard that is rarely, if ever, denied and the licensing fee used to be...wait for it...$1.00. That may have changed since I inquired last but sure it's still more than reasonable. Of course they want to publicize the event. But they also must exercise some level of control over how its publicized. Put yourself in their shoes...wouldn't you?

Fact is, many of us on this board (your truly included) have had images used without our permission for some form of marketing or another. Just as that doesn't sit well with a photographer, the same is true with the event organizers.

As Wayne indicated, haven't gone back to scrub previous years credentials language but the gist is...this is entirely inline with the majortiy of major sporting event's PR and Marketing department.
                  Last edited by Air Boss; 04-02-2014, 01:11 PM.
                  Owen Ashurst
                  Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                  http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                    Sounds like its not even worth my effort to try and get media credentials this year. I guess I'll have to get a really really big lens to shoot from the hill again.

Will
                    Talk to you local news paper.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post

Will
                      IMHO there are two wildly different ways this could go with Valerie out and the "new guys" in:

- They think that Valerie's way was too much of a loose act, so they are going to tighten up access and issue fewer press credentials to keep the amateurs and strap-hangers out, or

- They don't want to rock the boat too much since they are new to the game, so they will be more apt to issue to folks who make a good argument to have press access. If you had a possibly valid opportunity to get access under Valerie's regime, you should be good under this scheme, too.

Either way, there is zero harm in applying.

Comment

So does this theoretically mean that "Media" photographers can not share there work in other locations like/such as AAFO???
                        http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                        http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer View Post
                          So does this theoretically mean that "Media" photographers can not share there work in other locations like/such as AAFO???
                          That's certainly the letter of the law in that agreement, although as has been noted (but I haven't gone back and personally verified in my own documents) previous media agreements had variations of this same language.

Comment

FWIW, I received an email today from Tara Trovato of Draper regarding media credentials.

She indicated that media credential confirmations should be going out to applicants "in the next week or two".

Comment

Working...
                            X