No announcement yet.

Breitling, the Pilot's Watch (The Film)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Breitling, the Pilot's Watch (The Film)

[QUOTE=W J Pearce;117761]omalley, what email address did you use (PM me if you want)? I wrote a letter, but I could not find any address to send it to...]

I just posted on their FaceBook page; maybe you should consider that, too:

"Unbelievable! For a company that I really respected, your use of the Galloping Ghost crash footage in your new ad/film, "Breitling, the Pilot's Watch" is beyond distasteful and shocking. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on you, Breitling."
    Last edited by FlyKidChris; 03-07-2014, 03:06 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=FlyKidChris;117764]
      Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
      omalley, what email address did you use (PM me if you want)? I wrote a letter, but I could not find any address to send it to...]

I just posted on their FaceBook page; maybe you should consider that, too:

"Unbelievable! For a company that I really respected, your use of the Galloping Ghost crash footage in your new ad/film, "Breitling, the Pilot's Watch" is beyond distasteful and shocking. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on you, Breitling."
      I hope they show up with an explanation for using so sad moment.
      Surely Breitling have many aviation nice moments to show on its own profit. So, WHY?

Comment

I have sent my letter (email). I take the position that it is a simple mistake. Now that the mistake has been brought to light, I hope to see it corrected. I won't go the Facebook route because I want to work quietly to give them a chance to do the right thing. I feel Breitling is part of our air race family; I'm just letting them know what the clip represents and then wondering if that is how they want to represent themselves. I feel no need to publicly call them out on it (other than this forum). Now, if they keep the clip, that is entirely something else.
        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

I would imagine that the company that made the film might have more control than Breitling (they are probably the one who chose the clip).

http://www.mhptv.com/
          Random Air Blog

Comment

Now before you all start going and shooting off Emails to ANYONE let's just step back, chill, and think about a few things. Breitling is the title sponsor for the air races and they are a huge part of it still being here. I don't think it's wise to go sending them negative feedback. Maybe they decide that they don't want anything to do with air racing and take their checkbook elsewhere.

The crash happened and it's part of the history. Sad that it happened, but a huge lesson to us all. As in all situations we encounter in aviation first you have the test and then you get the lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
              Now before you all start going and shooting off Emails to ANYONE let's just step back, chill, and think about a few things. Breitling is the title sponsor for the air races and they are a huge part of it still being here. I don't think it's wise to go sending them negative feedback. Maybe they decide that they don't want anything to do with air racing and take their checkbook elsewhere.

The crash happened and it's part of the history. Sad that it happened, but a huge lesson to us all. As in all situations we encounter in aviation first you have the test and then you get the lesson.
              I don't disagree with you a bit with regard to treading lightly (to a point). I also don't disagree that the risk is there and that we can't change what happened (only try to prevent it from happening again). However, I do take issue with the fact that this is an advertisement for their watches, i.e. an attempt at profit. To use such a horrendous tragedy for profit, to me, is like someone using an ad featuring the Challenger explosion, or any number of other tragic events. Poor taste, and a big lapse in judgement in my opinion. I don't dislike Breitling and am grateful for what they do overall. I just hate to see that image/video used for anything but learning from it. Further, I don't think it is wise to continue to show that crash when a large part of the air races' issues stem from the fallout of it, and in a time where attracting new interest is important, showing that over and over in my opinion isn't the way to do it. Showing a crash is one thing. Showing a crash that claimed spectators is another.

Comment

Working...
              X