No announcement yet.

Breitling, the Pilot's Watch (The Film)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breitling, the Pilot's Watch (The Film)

Although we don't have sponsors like Red Bull, I am thankful we have Breitling.
    Random Air Blog

Re: Breitling, the Pilot's Watch (The Film)

In the strongest possible terms, I am very disappointed by their clip choice at the 7:20 mark. I appreciate all they do to support aviation, but using that clip shows a real lack of class and understanding. That six seconds added nothing to their watch story. Perhaps it is just me, but I take great offense to using that video to market anything.
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
      In the strongest possible terms, I am very disappointed by their clip choice at the 7:20 mark. I appreciate all they do to support aviation, but using that clip shows a real lack of class and understanding. That six seconds added nothing to their watch story. Perhaps it is just me, but I take great offense to using that video to market anything.
      WOW! thats just wrong.you are not alone Bill.
      The Low Pass Kid..

Comment

Thank You well said Mr. Pearce and I agree with you 100%.

Comment

I agree with Bill Pearce After all a lot of people lost their lives & it had nothing to do as to what kind of watch they had on. Poor taste.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Oh my, that really was a bad decision by someone! Very poor taste!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

OK...I'm gonna go out on limb here at say...

WTF ARE YOU THINKING BREITLING?!?! Seriously? Of all the possible, even remotely close to video clips you could have chosen, you choose that clip?

Look...we all appreciate what you've done FOR the sport. That DOES NOT give you a license to this TO the sport!!

What in the world would make you even think that including that clip would possibly make this advertisement...and this IS an advertisement...a better product.

RARA needs all the help it can get....but there are times when with friends like this, who the "F" need enemies!

Pull your head out of your arse and get a frickin' grip.....retarded

If there was a middle finger "con" you'd get it.
              Last edited by Air Boss; 03-06-2014, 10:47 PM.
              Owen Ashurst
              Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
              http://airbossone.com/

Comment

And yes...I'm pissed. This is disgraceful. Shame on Breitling and at the risk of sounding off too soon and offending a certain race team who is featured in the video, did you not have visibility to content?
                Owen Ashurst

Comment

Seriously...there's some jackass in NY at Breitling sitting in an office thinking, "Hey, I got an idea. Let's use the 10 sec clip of worst air racing accident in history to sell our watches." Really?

What, Breitling didn't have rights to the clip of Hindenburg? Or perhaps some other mass casualty event?

It will be a cold day in HELL...
                  Owen Ashurst

Comment

THIS IS BS!!!!!! This is the worst advertising I have EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!!!!! AREN'T WE SUPPOSED TO WANT PEOPLE TO COME TO THE RACES AND NOT BE SCARED OF SOME 1 IN A MILLION ACCIDENTS THAT CAN OCCUR?!?! I AM PISSED TO THE MAX RIGHT NOW. POOR POOR TASTE ON BREITLINGS PART, VERY POOR. I'M DISGUSTED. SOME DIE HARD AIR RACE FANS ARE STILL PROBABLY JUST GETTING OVER THE VIDEOS AND BS THAT THE MEDIA HAS SAID AND THEN WE HAVE TO SEE THAT VIDEO ONCE AGAIN! Garbage just garbage
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

On a little different mood, if they REALLY wanted to highlight the dangers, I can surely see Giboney's crash being in there and saying that even when accident's arrive, the pilots know how to cope with even the most dangerous Mayday's and walk out without a scratch. Or even Relentless prop overspinning?? Another good video with a perfect landing by Kevin. Why not those???
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

...Didn't want to be the first to comment yesterday, and I'm glad I'm not alone in my sentiments on the video.

- Joseph

Comment

I felt the same as you guys. I sent an email today to Breitling USA, the body of which read as follows.

To whom it may concern,

As an avid (perhaps obsessed) air racing fan and aviation enthusiast, I naturally watched your "pilot's watch" film with great interest. I appreciate that your company is well-entrenched in aviation and a continued supporter of the Reno Air Races, which in my opinion is one of the last true great motorsports that connects us with the founding spirit of this nation. However, I have the following concern. I find it extremely distasteful and potentially harmful to the sport to have featured the crash of the Galloping Ghost as part of your ad. I get the reference to what can happen when limits are pushed, and as a life-long motorsports participant and fan, I am not ignorant of the ultimate sacrifice being a possibility. But as someone who was there on that day and very nearly consumed by crash myself, I find it incredibly ignorant and irresponsible that you would choose to use it as part of your commercial. Many died and many more had their lives changed forever. In addition, there were plenty more positive examples you could have used which would still have made the point, such as the demise of the Super Corsair, in which the aircraft was lost but the pilot wasn't, the Red Baron for the same reason, the loss of the propeller on the Nemesis NXT in which the pilot still landed, 232 from 2013, etc.

My final point of contention is that the crash featured nearly eliminated the sport altogether, and the trickle-down effect is still felt.

In closing, please understand that I do greatly appreciate what you do for the sport 99 percent of the time; I guess that is partly why I was so shocked to see this featured.

Comment

Originally posted by omalley1537 View Post
                            I felt the same as you guys. I sent an email today to Breitling USA...
                            omalley, what email address did you use (PM me if you want)? I wrote a letter, but I could not find any address to send it to. Thierry Prissert is Breitling USA's President. I'd like to send it to him.

And just for my intentions to be clear, I feel this is a simple mistake on their part. I do not advocate anyone screaming at them of being vulgar. All we need to do is educate them that the clip represents the death of 11 people. Once they realize that, I'm sure they will agree it should not be in their video. I'm not trying to forget that it happened or ban the video from ever seeing the light of day, I just feel it has no place in a marketing campaign.
                            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Bill, I sent it to the sales@breitlingusa.com address as it was the only one I could find that wasn't to a local retailer. I agree completely, tact is in order here.

Comment

Working...
                              X