Fantasy of Flight Closing Doors to Public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy of Flight Closing Doors to Public

Fantasy of Flight owner, Kermit Weeks, announced today that effective Sunday, April 6, the attraction will be closing its doors as a public attraction and will focus on its private event business and the design and development of a new future destination attraction. “Although we are located just 20 minutes west of Walt Disney World, we’re currently outside the center of mass tourism and not perceived of as a destination. We have a great product, but people have a misperception of what we offer,” said Weeks. “After 18 years of being in operation, it’s time we close the attraction and move forward toward creating the vision for what I know Fantasy of Flight can become,” Weeks told employees today.

Fantasy of Flight will close the daily attraction and focus on its successful events business. It will also turn the facility into what it was originally designed for, which is a restoration and maintenance facility that will be needed to build future attraction elements. For those who wish to enjoy the historical aspects of aircraft, plans are to open an aspect of the collection in a reduced capacity and admission price later this year.

While saddened that closing the attraction will necessitate a reduction in workforce, Weeks is optimistic that his long-term vision and future product will mean far more jobs and greater impact to Polk County. “We have great employees,” said Weeks, “and will be working with several local, state and private agencies in the upcoming weeks in order to offer our employees assistance and training for the transition.” An event-focused staff will be retained as the facility continues to host weddings, meetings and corporate events, including team building and birthday parties via the Wing Walk Air Confidence Course & Zip Line.

Weeks assured, “This isn’t the end of Fantasy of Flight, it’s just the next step on the company’s journey to become what it was always meant to be – a quality attraction that uses entertainment as a means to an end for self-discovery and self-transformation. Think of this as a caterpillar going into its cocoon. We expect to re-emerge as a brand-new butterfly!”

Groups that are currently booked for admittance to the attraction after April 6 will be issued refunds (including deposits). Groups currently contracted for Wing Walk Air only and/or private events will not be affected by these changes. Annual pass holders will receive a pro-rated refund based on the date of purchase, and refund checks will be mailed to the pass holder’s address on file via USPS beginning April 8. If you are an annual pass holder with questions or to update your mailing address, please contact Brittani Taylor at btaylor@fantasyofflight.com.

Re: Fantasy of Flight Closing Doors to Public

Its not April yet
    Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LoveOldPlanes View Post
      Fantasy of Flight owner, Kermit Weeks, announced today that effective Sunday, April 6, the attraction will be closing its doors as a public attraction and will focus on its private event business and the design and development of a new future destination attraction. “Although we are located just 20 minutes west of Walt Disney World, we’re currently outside the center of mass tourism and not perceived of as a destination. We have a great product, but people have a misperception of what we offer,” said Weeks. “After 18 years of being in operation, it’s time we close the attraction and move forward toward creating the vision for what I know Fantasy of Flight can become,” Weeks told employees today.

Fantasy of Flight will close the daily attraction and focus on its successful events business. It will also turn the facility into what it was originally designed for, which is a restoration and maintenance facility that will be needed to build future attraction elements. For those who wish to enjoy the historical aspects of aircraft, plans are to open an aspect of the collection in a reduced capacity and admission price later this year.

While saddened that closing the attraction will necessitate a reduction in workforce, Weeks is optimistic that his long-term vision and future product will mean far more jobs and greater impact to Polk County. “We have great employees,” said Weeks, “and will be working with several local, state and private agencies in the upcoming weeks in order to offer our employees assistance and training for the transition.” An event-focused staff will be retained as the facility continues to host weddings, meetings and corporate events, including team building and birthday parties via the Wing Walk Air Confidence Course & Zip Line.

Weeks assured, “This isn’t the end of Fantasy of Flight, it’s just the next step on the company’s journey to become what it was always meant to be – a quality attraction that uses entertainment as a means to an end for self-discovery and self-transformation. Think of this as a caterpillar going into its cocoon. We expect to re-emerge as a brand-new butterfly!”

Groups that are currently booked for admittance to the attraction after April 6 will be issued refunds (including deposits). Groups currently contracted for Wing Walk Air only and/or private events will not be affected by these changes. Annual pass holders will receive a pro-rated refund based on the date of purchase, and refund checks will be mailed to the pass holder’s address on file via USPS beginning April 8. If you are an annual pass holder with questions or to update your mailing address, please contact Brittani Taylor at btaylor@fantasyofflight.com.
      Well this sucks! I always look forward to visiting FoF whenever I'm in Florida, and I went several times a year when I lived there. It will be interesting to see what Kermit's "transformation" turns out to entail.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
        Its not April yet
        Directly off their Facebook page this morning.

Comment

That was on my list of places to see when I retire later on this year........what's going on. Fantasy of Flight, Evergreen.........What's next. the Air Force Museum? Very Sad
          Brian

Comment

When I was 5 years old, my favorite book was "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" Somehow, this story sounds like the beginning of that book.

Comment

Definitely bummed to be reading this, but I have enough faith in Kermit to trust that the end result will be a great thing, whatever it is.

Comment

I hope Chino POF never closes.
                Lockheed Bob

Comment

While the closing is sad, one has to wonder if it might be due to Kermit purchasing (hopefully) some of Evergreen's items. Just guessing here.

Comment

From the horses mouth.

Last edited by Samuel; 03-04-2014, 07:26 PM.
                    Random Air Blog

Comment

I wonder what the future will hold........sounds like he's planning something big. Maybe the Spruce Goose will be part of it? Who knows! Sounds like the reason for closure is for expansion purposes...........hope so.
                      Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X