Does anyone recognize this P-51?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone recognize this P-51?

I used to have a hangar at the Torrance, Ca airport, and one day in I think 1999 the hangar two doors down from me was open for a couple minutes. First time I had ever seen that hangar open in the 15 years of being there almost every day. Lo and behold......there was a completely original P-51 sitting in there among some PT-22 parts and a couple 1956 T-birds.

The owner was there to just check up on things, slammed the door shut, and was gone........ I never saw him again. I was lucky to even have time to run for my camera and click a couple shots of it. Wish I had thought to capture the registration numbers, but no time.

Does anyone know if this plane was ever purchased or restored? Anyone know the history? I heard it had been sitting behind some hangars at TOA in the early 70's, and possibly went to Reno in the late 60's.

Cheers,

Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	TOA P-51 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	241729Click image for larger version

Name:	TOA P-51 3.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	241730Click image for larger version

Name:	TOA P-51 1.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	241731

Re: Does anyone recognize this P-51?

Originally posted by pt17av8r View Post
    I used to have a hangar at the Torrance, Ca airport, and one day in I think 1999 the hangar two doors down from me was open for a couple minutes. First time I had ever seen that hangar open in the 15 years of being there almost every day. Lo and behold......there was a completely original P-51 sitting in there among some PT-22 parts and a couple 1956 T-birds.

The owner was there to just check up on things, slammed the door shut, and was gone........ I never saw him again. I was lucky to even have time to run for my camera and click a couple shots of it. Wish I had thought to capture the registration numbers, but no time.

Does anyone know if this plane was ever purchased or restored? Anyone know the history? I heard it had been sitting behind some hangars at TOA in the early 70's, and possibly went to Reno in the late 60's.

Cheers,

Dan

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20499[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20500[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20501[/ATTACH]
    It never raced at any Unlimited race.

The owner recently passed away and IIRC the airframe is being cleaned up and (if it hasn't already) put up for sale/auction.

Comment

P-51 Mustang Who? Case: 360 - Apr 07 2008 - TJ Johansen / 1991 - Status: Closed, Serial: 44-84896, Registry: N5416V. World War II, North American P-51 Mustang survivor in civilian ownership

Comment

And more pictures here: http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51...erial/44-84896
        Random Air Blog

Comment

Thanks for the information... I always wondered what happened to the plane.

Cheers,

Dan

Comment

Working...
          X