It's almost time.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's almost time.....

Yes, it's almost time, we're very, very close now Stay tuned for more later - it'll be worth it
    sorry for talking in riddles - just having a little fun
    Mark K....

Re: It's almost time.....

The return of Pylon 1?! The original go to air race site?!

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah View Post
      The return of Pylon 1?! The original go to air race site?!
      Yep - that's the one
      But it's been what, 12 years? Hey, the old becomes new again! I had to make a lot of changes, but I think you'll be happy with the result of what we've gotten up on the site to date. My favorite so far is "the Precious Metal Story".

Can't believe it's already open - seems like I just started work on it last month. Time flies, ya know
      Mark K....

Comment

12 years? Really?? It's about damn time then!!
        Happy to see you back Mark!!

Comment

Originally posted by dineega View Post
          12 years? Really?? It's about damn time then!!
          Happy to see you back Mark!!
          Glad to BE back Rachel
          It has been far too long... hope to see ya soon and share a cold one after a long day watching air racers go by
          Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
            Yep - that's the one
            But it's been what, 12 years? Hey, the old becomes new again! I had to make a lot of changes, but I think you'll be happy with the result of what we've gotten up on the site to date. My favorite so far is "the Precious Metal Story".

Can't believe it's already open - seems like I just started work on it last month. Time flies, ya know
            Ok where is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
              Ok where is it?
              On the Home page, about 3/4 of the way down, or
              the 2nd story down listed on the Air Racers:The Planes: In Focus index page or
              just look below

The "Precious Metal" Story
              Article By: as experienced by Ralph Payne
              Photography By: Gerald Liang & Emil Strasser
              Mark K....

Comment

On the Home page, about 3/4 of the way down, or
                the 2nd story down listed on the Air Racers:The Planes: In Focus index page or
                just look below

The "Precious Metal" Story
                Article By: as experienced by Ralph Payne
                Photography By: Gerald Liang & Emil Strasser

That is just great, now I will never get anything done. Another site I will check constantly. Thanks a lot for controlling my life. :

All kidding a side, your site looks great and look forward to reading the stories. I also see there will be lots of nice photography.

Comment

Welcome back Mark! Can't believe it's been 12 years though.

GP

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                    All kidding a side, your site looks great and look forward to reading the stories. I also see there will be lots of nice photography.
                    I'm very happy you like the site layout - but I do know it looks a little sterile, not a lot of pictures on the home or index pages - pics in the articles & gallery pages though I think it's a good compromise since everything updates automatically when I publish a new story - streamlining the entire process. I've gotten a little lazy in my old age

I do have a bit of bad news on the photos though - my scanner broke 2 months ago and I need to get a new one (not so easy since I'm just getting back to work after a 7 month layoff). I'm just using what I scanned before it did break, and because the scanner was a bit out of whack the last few months it did work, not a lot of the scanned images can be used as wallpaper as the bottom 1/4 of all the scans were out of focus (weird problem that went unnoticed until I started looking real closely at the raw scans). For gallery images the out of focus issue isn't a problem since the images are not huge. Wallpaper images are big, and you can't hide anything in those. If it isn't a great pic it just won't hold up to that kind of enlargement. Regardless - new scanner is planned for the future, but I think we still have more then enough scans completed to keep me busy for awhile.

Hope you enjoy your time there... now it's back to processing more pics for wallpaper (My favorite thing to do. Seriously - this is my absolute favorite thing to do for the website.

You just gotta love a great pic of an Unlimited Class racer! Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbsup2.gif
Views:	5
Size:	175 Bytes
ID:	227572
                    Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by gp70442 View Post
                      Welcome back Mark! Can't believe it's been 12 years though.

GP
                      Almost 12 years... more like 11 1/2 or something like that. I do know when it all started back in early 2002 - and something a lot of folks just don't know about because I just wanted to keep a lid on it, and fade away for awhile. In a nutshell, life happens, you move on.

My "life happens" moment all started with a car accident. Now after a boatload of doctor visits, some 7 surgeries later, and now still some serious of pain killers (morphine & oxycodone) and acupuncture & chiropractic therapy, my wife is doing a ton better which allows me the time to devote to my fav pastime of air racing once again. Shutting the P1 site down was simply a matter of not having to deal with additional stress, and not even having the time to do it even if I wanted to. Being an air traffic controller, taking care of the wife and all the house duties, the 8 cats, and trying to do that while maintaining a website that is a huge time sucker just simply was unsustainable. Something had to go, and sadly there wasn't any easy choices here when it comes to the air race fans and P1 site visitors & contributors. In the end the wife is still with us and getting healthy again - and the P1 site is undergoing her rebirth, back again and hopefully, better then ever! My current job as an ATC Instructor is about as stress-free as it gets, no more "live" traffic - just a bunch of paper airplanes in a make-believe world. And I got more free time then I know what to do with - so it just was a natural to get the site going again.

Anyway, I'm glad the wife came out of this. Lesson for her was - the faster you go the faster things happen, and just a millisecond of indecision (and stupidity) can cause you and your loved ones a great deal of grief. I'm just glad she's OK - we're all human, we do make mistakes.

It wasn't an easy road for sure. Now she has two vertebra fussed, two disks replaced with spacers (to fix a scoliosis issue), titanium hardware to secure it all, they enlarged the spinal canal in that area and took out a few bone spurs. She also got a titanium plate across her clavicle (seat belt broke it) as it just wasn't healing. There's more, but I think you get the picture. Speaking of which - here's some "after" pics of the wife unit's 450+hp '03 Mustang Cobra. Damn fast car - and she was in the triple digits when she went for her little flight. As she said, she knew it was going to hurt when she saw sky and then ground, and then sky, then ground, then sky then..... as the car was spinning in midair for about 150 feet before coming to rest about 2 feet from the edge of a water-filled gravel pit - 200+ feet straight down to Davy Jones' Locker.

Last pic show my friend Todd Burton standing at where the front bumper dug-in & came to rest. First two pics are where she broke through the fence, with the car coming to rest at the foot of the dock. YEP - she was DAMN lucky!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 02-15-2014, 09:48 AM.
                      Mark K....

Comment

she was DAMN lucky!
                        Man, that's the truth! Another few feet and she'd have likely drowned in the car!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                          Man, that's the truth! Another few feet and she'd have likely drowned in the car!
                          She would have - some people walking along the trail were about 600 feet from where she went off. They told me she was unconscious when they got to her. We're just thankful all worked out well so far - it did take an awfully long time to get here, but doctors don't like doing those kinds of surgeries unless there is a darn good chance it will improve her quality of life. Right now, the docs say shes done with the surgery option, so that's why the acupuncture and chiropractor now, it's her only options at this point. BTW: she does have a clip-on metal pendant on the driver's visor of her new Cobra that states "Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly" (yes, we had to replace the Cobra... I need a second toy for back-up ). Sadly, she did have to learn the lesson the hard way, but she did learn it and thank god she's OK to talk about it. Things can happen quickly, when they hit close to home - you take notice

edit: Oh, forgot to mention.... we did have to pay to fix the fence LOL.
                          Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 02-15-2014, 02:46 PM.
                          Mark K....

Comment

Working...
                          X