“Never heard of them”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Never heard of them”

“Never heard of them” said the Chief Flight Instructor at the busy Pontiac, Michigan airport (PTK) when I explained that I needed my BFR in time to race at Reno... The Air Races do not have enough exposure to market one of the most exiting, visual, and saleable venues in the world. Despite the fact that they have the most exotic aircraft, extreme audio, storied characters, and fifty years of history, too many folks have “never heard of them”. What’s not to sell?
    All righttie then…there you have it… no sell, no exposure, no sale, no money, no races.
    Red Bull “knows nothing about Air Racing” as it is said here and I agree. What Red Bull does know is “Marketing” and man are they gooood at it. How they present their events should be a model for RARA.
    When you go to one of their sport shows. the onsite experiential coverage is “SPOT ON” awesome. There are enough “point of view” shots mixed in with “pass bys”, aerials, graphics, sounds, and great narration that you feel as thou you are rite there in the cockpit flying the course. When “The Bulls” ran the Detroit River I would watch the performing aircraft enter the start/finish cones and then immediately turn my attention to the “JumboTron” to appreciate the whole experience. Reno is “Tailor Made” for this sort of spectacular presentation.. Pylons are already in place for cameras, all with clear “line of site” perfect for micro wave transmission. Using the new affordable 1080p, progressive high definition cameras and available technology, the races would have live press feeds for the world to see and the JumboTron for Section 3. No bull, this is what needs to be done.
    The Reno Stead Air Races are without a doubt the easiest and most opportune motor sport venue to present to a large audience, both live “on site”, and televised/taped for re-broadcast. It can and should be done.

P.S. I have raced Reno and worked some of the biggest "Live" shows. I know it can be done.
    Mystical Power

Re: “Never heard of them”

Well Said oh Mystical One! I know you have insight to this subject and respect your input.... I've been asking myself "why not?" for almost 20 years now..

Really.. why not????

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Somebody with lot's of cash needs to step up. Somebody with vision and passion for the sport.

Comment

Re: “Never heard of them” sponsers

Fox, ESPN, ABC, Coke, Coors, any wanna-be "Made-in-America" car company, or maybee even Red Bull.
        Mystical Power

Comment

Certainly no inside knowledge on this but it would seem to me all of us on this site can't be the first folks to consider all these options. I'd like to believe RARA has made a run at a multitude of deeper pockets. And for whatever reason no one has taken the bait.

Guess we have to ask ourselves... why is that? Breitling and Nikon do great work. But the fact remains this sport has been running on a wing and a prayer for many, many years now. And for as much as we may not like to admit it, it simply is not an attractive enterprise.

Not to be biting the hand that feeds but in some respects it's like the somewhat tired, older, dishwater blonde at the end of the bar after midnight. She's been around the block once or twice, whiskey (straight) half gone in front of her, Marlboro smoldering in the ashtray...at some point, you either strike up a conversation with her...or just turn and go out the door. Just depends on how thick your beer goggles are.

Guess somebody out there just need to drink more
          Last edited by Air Boss; 02-14-2014, 10:28 AM.
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post

Not to be biting the hand that feeds but in some respects it's like the somewhat tired, older, dishwater blonde at the end of the bar after midnight. She's been around the block once or twice, whiskey (straight) half gone in front of her, Marlboro smoldering in the ashtray...at some point, you either strike up a conversation with her...or just turn and go out the door. Just depends on how thick your beer goggles are.

Guess somebody out there just need to drink more
            Like the old song "they get better looking at closing time".

Oh when I was younger been there - wake up in the morning and open your eyes and the first thing to see is that LOL

Speaking of beer goggles, check out the Moonshine Bandits song "Super Goggles: : -)

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
              Like the old song "they get better looking at closing time".
              OK, OK. I will admit that I have been a “Dad Dog” more than a few times in my life. Drank more than a few darlin’s pretty*, and have had the same harrowing “wake-up calls” but they are not the Reno National Championship Air Races. The Races are still spectacular the next day and long after that, even with the obligatory “day after hang over”. My point is that we have an “air gap” in the presentation and education in the real world of event sponsors that need to know what a “Diamond in the Rough” opportunity the Races are. Impression is everything. Just ask a professional (HR) job interviewer. Make the Races a great “SHOW” and everybody wins!

P.S. *You all did have good hearts. Happy Valentines Day!
              Mystical Power

Comment

I always got the impression that Reno was a cash cow for a few executives. It was kept secret so they could keep all of the cash from t-shirts and posters, for themselves. That's okay if you're a small-time boss tying down a small-time profit center. It's not however, the way to grow something into a worldwide or even nationwide show.

Lots of people tried, lots of small time pilots, well known and big time to us race fans, but not executive PR or TV types. Also it was a long time ago.

The now of tech could make all of what Tom referred to a reality. But the PR, and the financing are the big things that need to come and if Indycar can't guide their way out of a paper bag, I find it less likely Reno style pylon racing will. Red Bull is a phenomenal PR firm and what they do is very representative of what must be done to sell Reno. Good luck.
                Chris...

Comment

Couple weeks ago Red Bull held "Frozen Rush", an off road truck race on a snow covered ski course in Maine.

Who would have thought something like that was possible. I watched it and have to say there was some good driving skills on display and the venue was quite interesting to watch. I bet this will be a popular annual event.

Comment

I have been throwing ideas around. People shoot down change and that will be the end of what we love. Go on youtube and search "supercross rider introductions". I want to do something like that Friday night for the top five qualifiers of every class. On a smaller scale of course, but same general idea. Spotlights, fire dancers, half naked girls, parade of the top five bad asses. Evolve into what gets sponsors in this day. The show before the show.
                    Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 02-14-2014, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Who wouldn't like that?
                      Chris...

Comment

Who wouldn't like that?
                        Chris...

Comment

Working...
                        X