Preciuos Metal Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preciuos Metal Updates

A series of photos taken a few weeks ago during the Engine Pull has now been posted over at the Precious Metal Facebook Page. You don't have to be a Facebook Member to be able to see them, just click on the link and check them out.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Preci...71055266243368

Re: Preciuos Metal Updates

Wow, the ultimate hot rod project.

What a fortunate group of guys that get to partake in a project like that.

Something to tell the grandkids.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I am glad the PM team chooses to share their progress with all of us! Who is going to be doing the engine rebuild?
      Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
        I am glad the PM team chooses to share their progress with all of us! Who is going to be doing the engine rebuild?
        My current understanding is that machine work will be done off site at machine shops, while the assembly will be done in-house. Last year we removed, tore down, re-assembled, installed and had the replacement engine done in just under 48 hours....this year should afford us much more time for details!

Comment

Shouldn't there be hundreds of these engines in England ?

TV programme from the early 1990's in the "Perpetual Motion" series. Featuring the Avro Shackleton, the last of the four-engine heavies, the programme includ...
          http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Juke View Post
            Shouldn't there be hundreds of these engines in England ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elENLa01XHA
            Perhaps

Comment

How cool is that to have a team give updates and photos year round.

Comment

The PM team has folks that understand branding and marketing, combined with the ability to do that branding and marketing. It's not easy, but it can be lucrative if they do it well.

Too bad the other teams can't or won't follow suit.
                Last edited by RossF; 02-09-2014, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RossF View Post
                  The PM team has folks that understand branding and marketing, combined with the ability to do that branding and marketing. It's not easy, but it can be lucrative if they do it well.

Having the coolest airplane on the ramp doesn't hurt either...
                  Sky Critter

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5689708423992.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	227571

Thom is good at marketing himself. I also spent 15 years as a professional athlete. Also this is not a deep pockets program. Every person on the crew uses every personal asset they have. Friends with machine shops, friends that own grocery store chains, and other connections that help in any way possible. This is a team of true racers through and through.
                    Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 02-09-2014, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]20486[/ATTACH]
                      This is a team of true racers through and through.
                      I agree - but I also think that your team has some folks are astute with social media, understanding that as fans, whether we are pilots or not, are curious about how things work, the process that goes into the event. And selling t-shirts doesn't hurt.

Let me give you an example - in my younger years I was totally smitten by Dreadnought. I have Denver Kissenger's print of the plane signed by Rick Brickert and the artist. But to this day, there isn't much on the web about the plane from the owners. The Sanders website has a nice article on the plane, but it has been up for several years. And that's it - everything else is fan-generated content. I would love to see and hear more about the plane, but it is clearly not the Sanders' family priority. So be it.... I'll always love the Buick, but I am rooting for the PM team because of the effort they are putting out.

Comment

Thom was out of town and they updated the Warbird Adventures website with Precious Metal merchandise and also updated the bios.

Yes, this is a shameless plug, the more shirts that are sold, the more shop towels we can buy!!
                        Last edited by phoneguy; 02-11-2014, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the kind responses here so far. I have been trying to sort through Build Photos from 2013 and get some photo albums of them on the FB page, to detail some of the things the Team went through. Between the pace of this year's build, the complexity of what we end up doing this year and the backlog of photos from last year I am trying to make it fun and organized, rather than a carpet bombing effect with photos...

Plans are afoot for an actual PM website, as I have been working on them. I maintained my own website for the business I used to have for many years. Many things have changed, and I am gathering materials to try and make the site a modern one- with social media links and a webstore for merchandise like tee shirts. One of my goals is to include more information on the Races themselves, so that folks who have never heard of them get a better idea what they are all about. If we can make new fans through our site, imagine what it would be like if most of the Teams then had their own sites up for themselves. While I wanted to have had it complete already, struggling with a bad disc in my back has knocked me way off schedule with most of my projects for the last few months.

From so many backgrounds, all our Team Members have been contributing knowledge and other help from their own unique backgrounds. It supports the idea that from a diversity of thought comes strength. Each time I look at Precious Metal, I don't see just an aircraft, I see all the places that people worked their own special magic on her....

Comment

Here's some more from the engine removal.

Comment

Awesome pics! This one is my favorite

Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X