13 suggestions for improving the races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 suggestions for improving the races

1. Big fat checker board winners circle in front of grand stands. The winner of every heat race comes to the winners circle. Winner is interviewed, gets chance to thank sponsors. Get a winner’s circle sponsor and say the sponsor’s name every time you refer to the winners circle.
    2. Pay for every heat race and hand out big cardboard check in the above winners circle.
    3. GPS transmitter on every plane with real time scoring so you can see in the stands how fast each plane is turning laps and if they are gaining or losing ground on other planes. Have easily visible timing screens, and you could even have an app for that. Get sponsor for timing clocks.
    4. Roving pit reporter that knows what is going on doing interviews with pilots and crew. The back story of what is going on is important to understand and build the drama. This can’t be some hired gun who doesn’t know anything, you need someone who knows whats going on and doesn’t sound like a dork.
    5. Increase sport class purse to big bucks for top 3 and see who shows up. This is the fast class of the future, make it worth someone’s while to dump some money into something special.
    6. Freshen up the show. The same old jet dragster has been doing the same race for the last 15 years. Get somebody new, like the jet school bus guy. He brings the big yellow school bus and the jet powered porta-potti. Get Sani Hut to Sponsor him.
    7. Bring back the car drop. It’s a cheap & easy filler for dead time. Make sure the pilot knows to not drop it on the runway.
    8. No more than 1 airshow act that fly’s an extra 300 or similar aircraft. Kyle Franklin in the LOUD Waco, Sean Tucker etc.
    9. Have the wall of fire guys light the place up, but have them leave an area burning, leads to the next act a demonstration water drop by a fire bomber. The big DC-10 would be real cool, but even a smaller single engine tanker would be fun.
    10. Have red bull bring a fmx guy and have him jump the red bull airplane.
    11. Have tent behind stands and have pilots scheduled to do autographs.
    12. Booth in the general admission area where you can buy team merchandise. Give teams a chance to sell to the other 80% of the people that come through the gate that don’t buy a pit pass
    13. Reduce the cost of pit pass or at least anyone under the age of is 18 free with an adult. Combine this with every pit to have a “question answerer” person on the rope to answer questions at all times so that new fans and youngsters can learn about the plane and become a fan.

Re: 13 suggestions for improving the races

#14 Have DW at the start of the Races say Boogity Boogity Boogity Lets Go Racin' Boys !!!

Comment

Originally posted by darrellmims View Post
      #14 Have DW at the start of the Races say Boogity Boogity Boogity Lets Go Racin' Boys !!!
      No way, I've had my fill of the Waltrip boys. They can both stay at NASCAR events.

Now having Dale Jr. hang around would draw some crowds.

Comment

Originally posted by darrellmims View Post
        No way, I've had my fill of the Daltrip boys. He can stay at NASCAR.

Now having Dale Jr. hang around would draw some crowds.

Comment

This is actually a pretty good idea.

Why isn't the awards banquet more publicized?

No maybe not every heat race. But at least the finals on Sunday! Get that winners-circle thing going!

The sponsor has got to get his name in front of the audience. I believe sponsors might pursue it more, if more aircraft were really painted to reflect said sponsor.

Most of these things take money, it's understood. However the ideas are good, non the less.

- Joseph

Comment

Maybe the air races could pay Waltrip to never say boogity again. I stopped watching NASCAR (except the road courses) several years ago.
            No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
            http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini View Post
              Maybe the air races could pay Waltrip to never say boogity again. I stopped watching NASCAR (except the road courses) several years ago.
              Same here. I lost the spirit after Earnhardt passed away. They are just to PC anymore - and looking at the empty seats at races we are not the only ones not interested. Everytime I turn on a race theres a race flag. They are too quick throwing the yellow flag. If NASCAR held drag races they'd throw one in a 1/4 mile race : -)

I must say the Truck race at Tony Stewart's Eldora Track (dirt track) last summer was pretty cool. Will watch that again this year.

Comment

This isn't about being like NASCAR. Its about sound business practices. On this message board we bemoan the lack of sponsorship and coverage in the sport. As a business owner any thing I spend on "marketing & advertising" I want to see a return on my investment. If a guy wins a race and has a chance to thank his sponsor, its one more reason for a sponsor to say yes. It also gives recognition to the guy winning the race. The fire truck ride doesn't do that. Add to it a skilled interviewer and you can get someo of the back story that makes things more interesting. Most race series also have contigency sponsors, all the small stickers on the front of the cars, and when you win a race you send them a picture and they send you a few bucks.

Comment

All good ideas to be sure. But virtually everything costs $$$...something RARA does not have in any ready supply. Unless and until the fiscal house is in order and on a solid path toward solvency, it will require one small step in front of another.

It's likely 2014 will be much like the recent years...surviving the week with no seriously bent metal on limited resources so the show can go on. Work your butts off to get sponsors, limit expenses, trust in the fans, and point toward 2015 being even a better year. It took several years to find ourselves in this situation...we won't suddenly find ourselves out of it in a season or two. Chart the course, set the trim, and fly straight and level. We'll get there...
                  Owen Ashurst
                  Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                  http://airbossone.com/

Comment

All of those are great ideas , I've been pushing for a lot of this just within our class, I think our biggest hurdle is tv coverage, if we could get espn to cover the whole week and I mean the whole week and all the classes there is a chance people would start understanding

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
                      All good ideas to be sure. But virtually everything costs $$$...something RARA does not have in any ready supply. Unless and until the fiscal house is in order and on a solid path toward solvency, it will require one small step in front of another.

It's likely 2014 will be much like the recent years...surviving the week with no seriously bent metal on limited resources so the show can go on. Work your butts off to get sponsors, limit expenses, trust in the fans, and point toward 2015 being even a better year. It took several years to find ourselves in this situation...we won't suddenly find ourselves out of it in a season or two. Chart the course, set the trim, and fly straight and level. We'll get there...
                      well put Air Judge,time to get Breitling to pony up more and maybe court somebody else to share the top billing!
                      The Low Pass Kid

Comment

first off there are some very good ideas in the list, but just a few comments.

1. having someone in the pits to answer questions all the time. I have no problem aInswering questions while in the pit, and I do spend time answering as many as I can.however, sometimes its crunch time and all hands are needed to get the plane ready. I think most teams try to talk to the fans as much as they can.

years ago they did push ticket sales to the awards banquet. I'm glad they don't any more, I think that it should be for the teams and people involved in the event only. after 10 to 12 days out there I think that everyone needs some decompression time and the banquet provides just that.

I like the idea of a winners circle, but the logistics are a bi.ch. I used to be the one that organized the duck walk before the gold races on sunday and it took a lot of time to get it all organized. It is a great time riding on the fire truck though.

I like number 4 but we need to start with announcers that know what is going on.
                        bob burns
                        ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
                        "dont mess with texas"

Comment

re: Announcers need to provide mor info.

Sharon Coates and her crew feed them with all kinds of info, like history, pilot info, all kinds of "color", but the announcers don't always use it and/or ignore it. At least when Sandy did the announcing, he was knowledgable enough to wing it (sometimes a little wrong) and at least he used the facts/info provided to him. The announcers also need to recognize when they need to stop talking so we fans can enjoy the race sounds instead of the sound of their voices. Please, let us hear the engines!

Comment

I didn't like the new guy,very impersonal with the announcing , and the way he read our names so fast at the awards was silly , that our little time for pics and memories by the time the first guy was on stage he was already done reading all the names.

Comment

It also seems like at the end of every day of racing it ends with "that's it folks have a safe drive home" 5 minutes after the final lap.

Comment

Working...
                              X