This is How You Nurture Your Young To Be Fans of Our Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is How You Nurture Your Young To Be Fans of Our Sport

Last year in the pits on Sunday I saw this family with a fully loaded red wagon, stopped and gave them all a Section hang tag. Mom and dad enjoyed the photo op.

i can remember pulling my kids through the pits the same way, and today 20 years later they wouldn't miss a race.
    Die hard fans.

Re: This is How You Nurture Your Young To Be Fans of Our Sport

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
    Last year in the pits on Sunday I saw this family with a fully loaded red wagon, stopped and gave them all a Section hang tag. Mom and dad enjoyed the photo op.

i can remember pulling my kids through the pits the same way, and today 20 years later they wouldn't miss a race.
    Die hard fans.

I thought it was neat this year as Voodoo's engine builder (Mike Wilton) and his son David worked on the race motors all summer, including changing plugs at Reno.

Michael

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	227536

Comment

Totally agree; ya never know where they might go. I remember pictures of Karen Maloney-Hinton pushing Stevo around in a stroller and look where he ended up. Take the kids.....they'lll love it.

Comment

.. my first year to Reno, ripe age of three...Dad lost me in the pits. Lucky for me, Erin Rheinschild had taken a likin' to me, put the track-on. She found me gawking at Lefty's P-38. Warbirds, and a pretty lady. Yeah, I was hooked.

This year will be my 22nd Reno.. wouldn't miss it for anything!

- Joseph

Comment

We put over 500 kids in knottygirl this year , the local school has a field day and they come through the pits, I know Russ and Robert were wore out , but they know even if we only hooked one of them we did our jobs.

Comment

Are you aware that the RARA Foundation works year-round in the Reno-Sparks
            community with youth activities? This is in addition to the 2 or 3 days of kids of all ages
            visiting Stead with their work-books or worksheets? The Stead experience worksheets have age/grade
            appropriate questions or problems for them to answer. A Docent is in each class, and has a plane crew or
            wife as a go-to person for help. The IF-1 and Bipe classes are the best for them because they can see into
            the cockpit to see the "clock" (instrument) they are asked to identify and find out what it does. The older kids
            have to time a race and figure out the speed of the racer, using the formula they are provided. Also have to
            explain lift. The Docents also make sure to locate the female racers so the girls can interview and/or meet them.
            These kids will be our future pilots, racers, designers, engineers as well as race fans.
            A BIG thanks to all the pilots and crews who take the time to do the show and tell.

Comment

Originally posted by ShermB View Post
              Are you aware that the RARA Foundation works year-round in the Reno-Sparks
              community with youth activities? This is in addition to the 2 or 3 days of kids of all ages
              visiting Stead with their work-books or worksheets? The Stead experience worksheets have age/grade
              appropriate questions or problems for them to answer. A Docent is in each class, and has a plane crew or
              wife as a go-to person for help. The IF-1 and Bipe classes are the best for them because they can see into
              the cockpit to see the "clock" (instrument) they are asked to identify and find out what it does. The older kids
              have to time a race and figure out the speed of the racer, using the formula they are provided. Also have to
              explain lift. The Docents also make sure to locate the female racers so the girls can interview and/or meet them.
              These kids will be our future pilots, racers, designers, engineers as well as race fans.
              A BIG thanks to all the pilots and crews who take the time to do the show and tell.
              nice thread all! keep it going!

Comment

I started bringing my son when he was 3. Last year was his 19th (we missed 2001).
                He is now learning to fly with the goal of eventually getting into Formulas.
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by f1-69 View Post
                  We put over 500 kids in knottygirl this year , the local school has a field day and they come through the pits, I know Russ and Robert were wore out , but they know even if we only hooked one of them we did our jobs.
                  Never get tired of seeing the smile on the kids faces when you ask them if they want their picture in the plane, it's one of the highlights of the races for us .
                  Russ
                  Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Originally posted by 3dWrightBrother View Post
                    Never get tired of seeing the smile on the kids faces when you ask them if they want their picture in the plane, it's one of the highlights of the races for us .
                    Russ
                    Sure is, love having the kids drop by. Remember the one kid that had a bit to much sugar and within a second had twisted every knob, flipped every switch and was in the process of disassembling Phil's helmet before he got yanked out? His mother was right there acting as if nothing was wrong. Funny now but at the time it wasnt, lol.

Comment

You guys were incredible hosts!
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Leo, you have no idea how hard it is to be nice for that long. lol

Comment

Oh, yes I do!
                          After several years as an event security guard as a second job to survive this economy, I definitely sympathize. The easy way to deal with it when you have had enough is a code word to yourself. Mine was "Thank you sir/ma'am, you have a nice day" which really means "%$*& you"!
                          Once we all knew each others, it was hard not to laugh amongst ourselves at the rudest people.

Still want a good shot of Knotty I can work from.
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                          X