Best idea/reason/thinking yet (that I have read)for saving the NCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best idea/reason/thinking yet (that I have read)for saving the NCAR

Thanks! I'm glad the few that do watch, enjoy it.

GRNDP51
    Actually, a video tab/folder/sub-forum here I think is a great idea!
    Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Let me preface this with, this is posted in my most humble, completely uneducated regarding RARA, uneducated regarding Air Racing in general and solely my own personal opinion.

As I am not a CPA or the like, I have no idea what this means....
      "Note: The Reno Air Racing Association is a not-for-profit, 501(c)(4) organization, which means that contributions to RARA are NOT tax deductible, though they are appreciated and much needed"....(RARA website)

But, IMHO if an organization claims to be a not-for-profit organization, then dont bitch that you have no money. Your not supposed to. Business, commerce and capitalism is based on having the opportunity to make a profit. I have always been under the impression that a profit is a good thing....and I am a very bad business man....just ask my wife. Also an organization that has expenses and income but asks to be exempt from their civic obligation in the form of taxes also IMHO flies in the face of what we as Americans are supposed to do. If the Reno Air Races were to make a profit, pay a percentage of that profit in taxes then the community as a whole benefits, TWICE, once in the form of the taxes and the other in the boost to the local economy during Air Race week. Enough of the political rant.

... I am speaking now as a racer, though be it an earthbound, mud-slingin', turnin' right to go left, kinda racer, but racing is racing. No matter what level, no matter the machine, no matter the risk, its expensive, and the expense is usually relative to a persons wallet. The Reno Air Races need a sponsor, actually they need many sponsors. But they also need exposure, as in radio and television. The number of eyes is all that matters to sponsors, and unfortunately again IMHO most of those eyes are sitting at home watching NASCAR, while reading AAFO updates and thankfully the past few years watching the live feed on the net (thanks for that, its what pushed me over the edge to make an effort to go this past year for the first time). But when it comes right down to it, this is a tough format, I know its expensive to field this type of machine, its tough to make the racing last long enough to make the fan's trek worthwhile, its tough to cram all that racing in one event per year, which lends to its limited exposure. All tough stuff that work against the racers, fans, sponsors, and management. IMHO there may need to be other races, the ticket prices need to be a bit lower (at least until it has the brand power of other sports and events), and probably (as in most forms of racing) the purses need to help cover the racers expenses a bit better. Unfortunately these things are only possible with Real Brand/Common Everyday Sponsor Names and their money. Televise it, and they will come. I am sure that there are those that will say then others will stay home, yes the possibility is there for that but what about those that will make the effort to experience it live the following year after watching it on television.....every return, usually requires an initial investment and a leap of faith.

I am not convinced that pretty girls are the answer, but there needs to be a younger form of excitement. Something that will appeal to the future fans and future racers. Marketing coloring books, after race tours of the pits and planes that are geared toward kids, and maybe even some events in downtown Reno that showcase pilots, owners, and crews. Hell, management needs to rent a movie theater one night and for 5 bucks a head, show old high lights from past years.

Dudewanarace, you hit the nail on the head! I have shown up to every track with my bucket proudly in hand! But I have to completely disagree with you on one point. I am sorry you are offended by the rock star comment, but I GUARANTEE you there is at least ONE lil guy or gal out there that looks at YOU that way, and that one person has always been reason enough for me to make the extra effort and buy one less tire and buy my crew matching shirts, or make sure I am in some way identifiable with my racer (at times it was a matching firesuit). The spectators, especially the young ones, are one of the main reasons I had such a fun time racing. As in most forms of racing (all sports for that matter) its a different time. Time to make changes to keep up with the changes around us, you might be surprised the good old days just might show up....

I have said all of this hoping to not offend anyone, if I did I apologize, and I will say one last thing with the same caveat, Air Racing (especially the upper classes) need to decide if they want to be an amature or professional sport run by a Social/Civic Organization or a business interested in promoting its show to make a profit.
      Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Originally posted by xmh53wrench View Post
        Dudewanarace, you hit the nail on the head! I have shown up to every track with my bucket proudly in hand! But I have to completely disagree with you on one point. I am sorry you are offended by the rock star comment, but I GUARANTEE you there is at least ONE lil guy or gal out there that looks at YOU that way, and that one person has always been reason enough for me to make the extra effort and buy one less tire and buy my crew matching shirts, or make sure I am in some way identifiable with my racer (at times it was a matching firesuit). The spectators, especially the young ones, are one of the main reasons I had such a fun time racing. As in most forms of racing (all sports for that matter) its a different time. Time to make changes to keep up with the changes around us, you might be surprised the good old days just might show up....
        Thanks. Hey I'm there on the shirts. Not only does the team wear them, that being me and my wife, but I ran a "Fan Sponsor" program for people to pre-buy shirts as a way to raise money. In the end, it is never a money maker because I never sell enough.. Been doing that for years. I often comment it is harder to print shirts and get them distributed than getting the damn airplane to Reno! Here are some shots from Jim Bryant this year:

What I was referring to is the reality of racers, during race week. I suspect the Red Bull pilots have a much lower task list for an event. The one big thing being fly the airplane, the rest probably media related. From my years at Reno I can say it is pretty hard to get a pilot away from his machine during race week, and that goes for Unlimited guys as well. The difference is we all seem to have an intimate relationship with our machine and its condition, and no time to look like the stars the original post implied.

Hey I'll wear the crap out of a new Alpinestars suite, instead I spent that money buying gas to get there.
        Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Working...
        X