Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best idea/reason/thinking yet (that I have read)for saving the NCAR

:"Dear Reno Air Racing Association:

Save the money you would have spent on replacing Mike Houghton, take a gigantic risk, and you MIGHT survive the next 50 years like you're trying to.

Reality check RARA, after 50 annual events, you’re still not a brand. I’ve been actively involved in aviation since I was 8 and the closest thing I’ve ever been able to determine as a logo was your 50th commemorative icon that I’m praying you paid a college student to do because it wasn’t up to snuff on a professional level by any means. The world has become much smaller since the races left Cleveland, so you and I are going to sit down and talk about why exactly Red Bull owns 13 airplanes and has more influence in aviation than the EAA, AOPA and yourself combined.

First, I want to address the elephant in the room again. You’re not a brand, and unless you change that within the next 6 months when you start cranking up your advertising like you always do. You are going need something INSANELY cool to sponsor RARA and even change the name if necessary if you expect to have any chance of being in the black this year, and I'm sure that I've already said more than enough or could ever be accepted, but I should qualify my remarks. I'm a massive aviation nut, but I'm 25 and I know why young people are not involved in aviation. It's because purists and old guys make all the decisions and are afraid of asking, empowering and properly encouraging young people to make decisions that are going to get attention you need to make money.

Ask anyone that has had a ten minute conversation with me and they'll tell you I'm a conservative, so I only invite change when I see that what I'm doing isn't working, or when someone else is doing it better. So allow me to tell you why Red Bull has such a massive following (including me), even though their product is disgusting. Here it is: they sponsor people, sports and events that are invigorating and very young, extremely talented people are on the face of 95% of what they do. Furthermore people who are sponsored by Red Bull are professionals who could easily lose their lives in a performance that most spectators can grasp the insanity of those performing it.

Now before you get all upset at them, remember that Red Bull has a HUGE passion for aviation, bigger than anyone gives them credit for (don't forget that they were the ones who restored White Lightnin' when Lefty Gardner's family couldn't raise the money) and they have a flippin' airplane museum in Geneva I think, I forget but it's somewhere in Europe, this is on the internet, I’m sure someone will correct me. Anyone else remember when they had their logo plastered all over the ONLY airworthy Sea Vixen? Hmmm?? So let's not question Red Bull's commitment to aviation as a whole and warbirds in general seeing as how warbird era aircraft make up 1/3 of their fleet. However, the reason that they don't attend RAR, SnF and Kosh is because, and please pleeease don't hate me for saying the truth, but nothing exciting happens there. Now before you start disregarding me, think about it, when was the last time any of us saw something at any of those events that was so different it made us incredibly jealous on the inside to the point that you went home giving serious thought about how you could do something so awesome with your life as the guy you were watching had. For me, meeting Kermit Weeks was the last time that happened. And I love the guy and I am beyond grateful for what he's been able to put together, but the guy's got serious money and I highly doubt he would ever have been able to do anything even close to the scale that he has if he hadn't been born into the money that he has. Not taking away from the fact that he works incredibly hard and there’s no way he could’ve done it all without the raw passion that’s evident, and I feel as if I owe him a debt for all he's done for the things that I enjoy, but seriously guys, he’s not our savior, he’s one man, and he’s from a very very different generation. (talking to you SnF & EAA)

Red Bull can generate more buzz for their own events and it's because we're too afraid of change in this industry (Yes, this is where I take a bit of personal responsibility – I told you it gets better). In reality, RARA ought to make Red Bull look like they're doing it with training wheels. We make it so easy for them to blow us out of the water because we're not trying to be fresh in a way that's going to attract anyone that isn't already coming. Why do you think that we're the only ones that know the significance of seeing the John Travolta and Precious Metal ad every year? The blog I read begged the question, "Will Strega, Voodoo and the rest go the way of Stiletto and become Stockers again? Only time will tell." Allow me to answer your question, YES!!!! For crying out loud it's already happening! Can we really be so oblivious to what we're so afraid of that we refuse to acknowledge that what's already happened to at least two legendary racers, won't it certain happen to Strega as it sits on the market for sale too??

Let me say something that everyone here is dreading to hear, and just as difficult for me to say... One day, ALL of these airplanes will be gone... They will either be destroyed, disassembled, or get stuck in a museum until they are forgotten and then destroyed. It's the tragic fate of every beautiful piece of art. MAYBE one or two will last out the next 100 years, but the way that we're running the show now, we may as well bury them on our own. We as an industry have a big hole to dig ourselves out of with present day culture, it doesn't start with letting the youth contribute, you have to give them the reigns. We're tinkerers, we're fixers, you tell us that there is a problem, and we have natural instincts to fix them, it's what you've trained us to do. Or at the very least, create the illusion that we have control, let us believe that we're breaking the rules, and completely fill the place with pretty girls (I didn't say skanky, because that's not my style, but when the biggest bombshell out of Reno is a fake P&W 5600XBSAP that will never run, we have got problems, BIG problems). Why do you think that Gulfstream Girl has 90k+ likes on Facebook, meanwhile neither EAA nor AOPA even have a facebook page? Are you trying to alienate my demographic? Seriously? Pretty faces aren't the solution either, but we have to be willing to change. Never forgetting the past, but we ought to be so consumed with the present and future that looking back actually requires effort instead of focusing on it.

And one more thing, stop looking like beggars!! These events should always have at the very least the appearance of being profitable... insanely profitable... not Robb Report rich though, the CEO look is very unpopular right now, Reno pilots ought to look like Thor, and act like movie stars, and us non-racers should be absolutely jealous of them. Don't tell me about how much money you raised on Facebook, if I care, I'll ask. I've given money to the humane society before too, but I'll never voluntarily go to one of their charity events and it's exactly for that reason, they're always trying to make me feel bad instead of giving me something that I can be overtly excited about. Stop turning RAR into a cause, you’re degrading it. It’s not a cancer, it’s a firebreathing, adrenaline and testosterone filled war-zone that makes a spectator sport out of watching death out of your left window from 50 ft. at 300mph… Remember what I said about making Red Bull look like they have training wheels?"

Re: Best idea/reason/thinking yet (that I have read)for saving the NCAR

Go Bob Go! Agree...need to bring in some fresh, young blood. good place to start is with the posters and event apparel. so old and tired looking. Kind of like Reno itself. Reno offers so much but for years its growth was restrained because it was run by the local good ol boy club and new ideas were shot down. Reno has hired some new people with fresh ideas and finally it is showing the world what it is made of in a way that is attractive and winning business.

Comment

Thanks but they are not my words, this is a post from FB that echos my feelings, but is much better thought out than anything I could write. GLad you like it

Comment

While there is much I like about Red Bull's approach, this post entirely misses the point. Then it ranks about it, even though it missed it.

The difference between the two events isn't the format or how its done at all: Red Bull's series has nothing to do with their passion for aviation, it is a MARKETING TOOL TO SELL THEIR PRODUCT. Everything about the event is secondary to that, and even if it loses money it can be written off as a business expense. They don't give two flips about the series, if it loses too much money, it's done. If they can't prove it increased sales of their drinks, its done.

The Reno Air Races ARE THE PRODUCT that RARA is trying to sell. There is no write off if the product you are selling doesn't sell. While many of the aspects of Red Bull would work nicely with the NCARs, they still have pay their own way make sell directly to the public.

If you want Reno to have the same ability to change, then you must bring in a patron that is willing to use it to promote themselves for the sale of another product. Like Breitling does to a limited extent....but with much deeper pocketbooks. Maybe PowerAde or Monster could go head to head against Red Bull's series....BUT- the Races then are always secondary to another master.

Its not good to confuse a marketing program with a product.....

Comment

The one big point here. Aviation in general is not bringing in fresh young faces in the numbers it needs.

Comment

Eh..

First, I have a biased opinion, that being an actual racer. The old saying about racing: We'll race for a bucket of s#$t, and bring the bucket. So the opinion that 'we' as pilots should be portrayed like rock stars is a bit offensive. I'm sorry I didn't roll up in my fancy racing suit that matches my airplane paint and costs as much as my hotel room for 10 days.

Also, he is way off in regards to why younger people aren't more involved in aviation. It's all about money, and how out of touch general aviation is now.

When you involve a powerhouse like Red Bull in a comparison, it can only be with something that has equal resources. I mean the budget of RARA compared to Red Bull is like a fart in the wind... even back in the good old days. So the primary point of his post is irrelevant to me. Let it be known I am a huge Red Bull fan including the stuff they do just because it would be cool.

I guess another problem is I can't view the air races as only an unlimited race either. I love seeing the big stuff just like everyone else, but given what the class did to themselves, the low turnout was expected. We had so many planes in the sport class that qualifying was going to determine not only where you place, but if you would race at all. That is actually racing..
            Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

WARNING...Obvious and useless statements ahead...Like any good business or product, exposure is extremely important...Finding a way to run ads like Breitling did for the 50th nationally wouldn't hurt ( linked below, you have all seen it)...I have friends from back east that still don't know what the Reno Air Races are even after the nightmare of 2011...Sponsors go where their demographics are...Red Bull was at the forefront of extreme sports so they tailor made a televised event for themselves in the Red Bull air races...Marketing the Reno Air Races to them or another sponsor interested in the "extreme" marketing angle seems like a good fit and would come hand in hand with some sort of TV deal even if it is only once a year...With all the classes there would be a ton of great races to show and with proper editing they would be even more exciting...There are several 24 hour sports networks televising crap like Frisbee Golf or Curling with sponsors...WHAT!!!!

As for young people getting involved in aviation...Not sure how we can overpower the culture as is...When Neil Armstrong died August 25, 2012 the headlines contained more info about freakin Snooki having a baby than Neils death...I only remember this because of how angry that made me.

By the way if you have not seen the teaser for the film "Interstellar" check it out (second link)...It may be the kind of thing that could bring some young minds into the aviation fold

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

From Christopher Nolan, Interstellar is in theaters November 2014. http://www.InterstellarMovie.com/
              Last edited by johnnyrace; 01-07-2014, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Remember theres that new top notch marketing company in New York City hopefully working of something? Looking at their client list there may be some hope.

If nothing creative comes out of there court here in the next month or two it will be tuff to think we can fill the stands with real paying customers vs. a bunch of tight wades coming up for a free party. It takes lots of people with generous spending habits to make any event rock and be profitable!

Idea, the Americas Cup in SF had top billed performers in concerts on the pier in a nice new venue. We have bleachers already. What would be better than an evening sunset and Sammy Hagar belting out - I can't fly 155, or Blake Shelton - singing Boys Round Here, the pits full of action would be a nice backdrop

Last edited by Desertdawg; 01-07-2014, 06:28 AM.

Comment

DesertDawg,
                  Exactly, aviation alone will not fill the stands. The NCAR needs something with action and fun.

Comment

THIS IS THE AGE OF THE INTERNET!!! This website is honestly the best place to go to find ANY up to date info on the races and that's ridiculous. RARA's twitter account has 3k followers compared to Red Bull with 1.3 mil. Why is this? Oh maybe because Red Bull constantly posts things that their followers care about rather than "please donate to support the races" 10 times when the 3k followers got sick of it the first time! This is one of the reasons I made my website and it found some success, yes sorry I used AAFO to somewhat advertise it, but I still think (and hope) that it helped a few people and got more people engaged with the sport. My Unlimited Poll I had attracted a lot of people and I only got good comments on it and it's fun stuff like that that gets people engaged!!! RARA's website is terrible and is rarely updated and I don't even want to think about all of the other Race planes websites where most of them don't even have a legitimate site! Thanks to Thom and PM having the only legitimate online source to see what the plane and team are up to, that gives me a little hope of what is possible. People just aren't dedicated enough to this sport to actually care about what is going on and it just sucks... My rant for the day.
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                      THIS IS THE AGE OF THE INTERNET!!! This website is honestly the best place to go to find ANY up to date info on the races and that's ridiculous.
                      Best observation of the whole thread. RARA has always seemed to have trouble with communication to the fans, infrequent updates, etc.
                      Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                        Thanks to Thom and PM having the only legitimate online source to see what the plane and team are up to, that gives me a little hope of what is possible.
                        Well.. www.N54SG.com But, like I said before, I guess I don't think it is only an unlimited show.

So when I start a modification to my airplane, not only do I have to think it up, do it, document it along the way, gather said information in to some sort of group, edit all of it (size for web, watermark, color correct), write about it, publish it to the already established website, and still few people outside our circle enjoy it. Take the last video I made:

It has 350 views... and took me a TON of hours to organize and edit, not to mention planning the shots during race week. Hell there is $50 of royalty free music in there. When I finish those types of promotional material I am always hit with a guilty feeling like, why did I even bother.. But inevitably I get motivated again and work up the next post. I have a few projects in the "group of pictures" phase that need the rest done, just used up all my motivation for a while.

So when others question why there isn't more 'stuff' available, I completely understand why there isn't. It is a HUGE pain and most of the time offers nothing in return. Not even moral support to continue.

I agree that the RARA website is far from ideal. I was very unhappy when they switched it over from the previous version.
                        Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

In a response to Dudewanarace and others, it makes total sense about the time and dedication it takes to make a good video and only get 300 or so views on it, and this is why the sport needs many more fans and much better advertisement of websites like yours, and the videos that you post that show the reality and excitement of the sport. If your videos were receiving a couple thousand views, I am 100% sure you would not mind the time and effort it takes when the fans are appreciating your work.
                          In response to others and things that may be thought about, I completely understand that the air races are a relatively "secretive" sport and that is what adds to the fun of it, but in reality, I would much rather a Strega.com with all of Strega's past championships, photos, etc, and even a message from Tiger stating what is going through his mind putting Strega up for "sale". Maybe he isn't even sure why he is doing it, and sad enough, he would most likely say that there is not point into him dedicating his time to the whole ordeal anymore. Once the thoughts of pilots/owners becomes more positive, I think we will probably see a little more exposure through websites and facebook pages etc. I would hope so at least..., and that is if the men and women that race these planes ever do return to the state where air racing is the sh!t and all that they think about. Reading some magazine I forgot what it was and someone will surely chime in, probably Big Jim, in the 70s or 80s there was somebody who crashed their stang and within literally a week they had it fixed up ready to go to the races with no concern about money out of pocket. I wish it could be like this again since I never experienced this type of mind set considering 99 was my first year.
                          All else aside, I just wish this amazing sport could become famous, I think that's basically what I would like as I know we all would. Thanks for reading this if you did and I would like to hear your thoughts.
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I feel like this is a thread to post thoughts so I would like to expand even more. Upon my last post mentioning the good old days, I wasn't around then so I wouldn't know for sure, but for any of you that were around, was the excitement level of the pilots, crew, fans, etc completely different back then? Just thinking about it I feel like it was a whole different world where air racing was thought and talked about at every dinner table of the people who knew the sport. Maybe an exaggeration, but looking at the sport today it probably isn't at all. Relating back to my internet topic, I would imagine that all of those old race planes fighting for the Gold would've had their own websites if Internet was available back then just because the energy and vibe was different. Almost every year new racers coming and crashing and blown engines and excitement/ anticipation for next years new entries was all time high. Don't get me wrong, I am stoked for this year even more than I was for the 50th just because some of the things that I hope will happen. Promising signs such as Bob saying and as long as the races continue he will be there. Smoot confirming that they are fixing up Czech mate with even more speed mods in the process. Rod Lewis as we all know has some pretty good cash flow so Rare Bear's new engine and 232's new well everything up front haha will be a piece of cake. And In another class, relentless, lavelle, race 33, GP-5, and Blue 2 might all be racing head to head this year! Oh wait one more thing, September Fate. People are still interested in the sport, it's just a small group of people that can handle it though. Especially small with Unlimiteds.
                            FINAL FINAL thought, about nemesis, somebody may not agree with this but why didn't John hand the keys to somebody else to race the fastest sport plane ever?!? It was meant to beat everyone and it did so why is it gone? Give the keys to Whiteside I don't care just why is it not out there every year when it was made to smoke everybody...?
                            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Dudewanarace

356 views now.

Keep your stuff coming, totally awesome I have a Youtube playlist titled Aviation/Space I file this sort of stuff. And you young man have contributed some good stuff.

The more stuff like your project gets out there interest will grow. The race shot looking forward from the cockpit gives a good feel for the racing environment.

Maybe we could get Wayne to add a Vimeo and Youtube tab/playlist where we could add and would store links to these Reno Air Race Videos?

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 01-07-2014, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X